PDA

View Full Version : How did you start your journey?

xcakid
04-24-2007, 08:28 AM
Fairly new here, so I am not sure if anyone already had a thread like this way back in the day. If so, sorry about that.

I was just curious how everyone here got started in the MA? And what style was the first style you took? It would be interesting to see the progression of everyone here.

For myself, my dad actually got me started. After I got my butt kicked in fight at school. I came home with a black eye, puffy jaw and a bunch of bruises on my body. I had a major altercation with my group of friends and another group. This was back in the 8th grade. In Catholic school no less. :)

My father had dabbled in Arnis back in the day and thought it would be a great idea to get me involved in MA. We could not find any Arnis schools near our residence at the time and the only other instructor he knew of was 1hr drive away in Stockton, CA (I later went on to learn from that guy). In the mean time, a co worker of my dad recommended his uncle who was teaching Sil Lum Kung Fu in Chinatown. He had a 2 story apartment. He gutted the 1st floor and taught there, living quarters were upstairs. I was studying Sil Lum for a yr or two. Then while in H.S. I had some friends that were taking Shaolin Kempo with Ralph Castro. Since, I wanted to be with my friends I went on to take that. Our counselor, we found out later, taught arnis and we also took that on the side.

After a yr of college I decided to stop and go into the Navy. Only thing I could find at the time that was convenient, location-wise, was TaeKwonDo. I finished college while in the Navy and got honorably discharged. I found another Shaolin Kempo school(Villari later turned USSD) took that for a few years and ended up teaching for 2yrs. I also continued to study Arnis/Kali in that time period. Got burned out. Left MA for about a yr. and went back to study Ying Jow Pai for a yr or 2. Left due to career change that left me with little free time. I was also commuting 1.5hrs each was and working NY market hours in CA.

Now 12+yrs later, I am trying to work my way back and studying Shaolin Long Fist. Currently an orange belt. Currently out of shape. I would like to stick with SLF, however I am looking to augment that with Arnis or some other style that would compliment it. I would really like to get back into Arnis. I have a couple of friends that I teach to and work drills with, but it is so in-frequent. Both have busy schedules. One of them travel quite a bit for his job. The other is just a flake. Would love to find regular school or group of people to work out with.

That is my journey in the world of martial arts so far.

PangQuan
04-24-2007, 09:08 AM
my parents would not spring for MA, they said i got in too many school scuffles and they thought it would be a bad idea.

i got into kenjutsu/kendo when i was 20, shortly after that came kungfu, northern longfist and some southern tiger/crane, then i was able to learn some shaolin, now im studying wing chun. im really keen on the idea of learning judo/shuaijiao/jiujitsu

unfortunately i got started late. fortunately fighting as a kid has payed off in ways, so that im glad i had the opportunities.

when i was a teenager couch surfing and living on the streets i had a few older guys kinda take me under thier wings and teach me some stuff about fighting and would spar around with me, which helped me out a lot back then, but never anything so structured and in depth as a solid martial art system.

there is no going back now, im hooked.

bodhitree
04-24-2007, 09:15 AM
My Dad started me at the tae kwon do school he was a black belt at. My Dad quit shortly after getting the 2nd degree black belt, he's really into fitness things, but he's not a martial arts nut (like me). I always invite the old man to the judo club, he always says no thanks:)

SanHeChuan
04-24-2007, 01:48 PM
When I was born my whole family was taking a family style of Kung Fu, but my parents got divorced before I got to be apart of that. They did say that I could do Kung Fu stances before I could walk. Kung Fu was always apart of the mystic of my dad. He never really taught me much but I was always impressed with his stickyhands.

In the forth grade while living with my aunt I started tae kwon do with my cousin and did that for about a year. Then I moved back to San Antonio and continued TKD there for another year. Then I moved to CA for the next five years. While there, around the 8th grade, one of my friends started taking some TKD so I hung out with him there for about a year.

When I started College I took up the MA in ernst. I started with Shaolin Do, under another student at the University. I took that for about 4 years. After I got my black belt and while still training SD I started learning San Shou from another instructor, and I did that for about a year and a half. Also during that time I started taking MA course from the University. I took semester long courses in Self-defense, TKD, Aikido, Shotokan, and BJJ.

Then I joined the Marine Corps, spent a year in Training, the next in Okinawa. When I got back to the states I started Choy li fut. I got deployed so I had a broken time of about 6 months before the teacher quit. After that I took Shorin-ryu Karate with a little Aikido on the side, for the next 2 years.

Then I moved to Austin, hoping to take that same family style my parents did, but I ended up in 7* Mantis since Jan.

xcakid
04-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Then I joined the Marine Corps, spent a year in Training, the next in Okinawa. When I got back to the states I started Choy li fut.

Oh cool another Dept. of the Navy personel. :D

X-CA Kid (former Navy)

David Jamieson
04-24-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm pretty sure i started on the right foot.

Connie
04-24-2007, 03:51 PM

I see what you did there.

xcakid
04-25-2007, 06:45 AM

You sure you did not hop in with both feet.

SPJ
04-25-2007, 07:13 AM
I also started with the right foot.

I tried to mimic tan tui by watching other people in Taipei New Park in the 60'.

I kicked my shoe off into the lake and also hit a goose/duck.

every one laughed at me.

--

my cousins all know shuai jiao being from a police family.

I have been tossed around and ate dirts from the floor a lot.

--

:D

SanHeChuan
04-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Oh cool another Dept. of the Navy personel.

Yeah, The Men's Department. :p

sorry, it was just too good of a set up. :D

xcakid
04-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Yeah, The Men's Department. :p

sorry, it was just too good of a set up. :D

Oh we could go on and on with this one. LOL :D