PDA

View Full Version : Dear Gene...

SolarStance
10-29-2001, 06:41 AM
Hello Mr. Ching,

Please accept my apologies in advance for my asking this through the forum, but I'm not sure where or who else to contact about this minor problem. I have been enjoying your publication for a number of years nowbut still ahve not recieved this month's issue in the mail as of yet. Am I being imapatient? I've just noticed a few of the posts on the other forums discussing some of the articles and feel left out!! I hope I am not bothering you with this. If I could trouble you for a moment of your time to find out who I may contact about this? Other than that, the magazine has been consistently great, and I look foward to many more years of reading and training.
Thanks Again,
Michael (SolarStance)

GeneChing
10-29-2001, 07:21 PM
For subscription problems, call our toll free number 1-800-824-2433. You can ask for John or Manny.
If you need to reach me, you can always email me at gene@kungfumagazine.com.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

Shaolindynasty
10-30-2001, 12:12 AM
Solar Stance? Isn't that from Kungfu Cult Master with Jet Li? That was a strangly great movie!

New classes New online Catalog
www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

SolarStance
10-30-2001, 03:00 AM
HA!! That's right Dynasty! Kung Fu Cult Master is one of my all time favorites!! Sort of bums me out that they never made part 2, though. I guess it didn't do too well in the HK box offices. But there are so many unanswered questions!

Gene, thanks for the quick reply. I was told today that things might be a little slower in the mailing with all of the craziness going on. I'll have to be more patient. It's a good thing you have an e-zine or I might go crazy!

Thanks for everything!

)))SolarStance(((

GeneChing
10-30-2001, 03:25 AM
And the moving of the forum has kept us from posting a new ezine in almost a month. Sorry to keep you waiting, but the world changed last month so dramatically that it affect everything.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher

SolarStance
10-30-2001, 05:25 AM
You're right. The effect that this whole thing has had on people is frightening. The other day while walking through a local mall, a balloon popped in a display. People began to scream and run. A balloon.

)))SolarStance(((

GeneChing
10-30-2001, 08:45 PM
Happy Halloween...

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher

Shaolindynasty
10-30-2001, 09:40 PM
That boo didn't scare me as much as opening the lates mag and seeing you dressed like a monk in it ugh that ugly face could scare dracula! :eek:

New classes New online Catalog
www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

SolarStance
10-30-2001, 11:34 PM
I wouldn't know...sigh...

)))Solarstance((( :(

GeneChing
10-31-2001, 07:32 PM
sd: Ha! My little Halloween treat for you. I should note that I was digitally shaved for that pic, and in the next issue we got a real shaolin monk to pose...

ss: Still no mag, eh? Troubling. Perhaps you should give them another call...

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher

Truly
12-04-2001, 07:07 PM
I want to see a shaved Gene pic:p

GeneChing
12-05-2001, 11:58 AM
Although it's my real head, just from another time when I was freshly shaved from the temple.

http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/shaolstylwar1.html

Shaolindynasty
12-06-2001, 09:21 AM
"I want to see a shaved Gene pic"

Trust me you don't!:eek:

By the way what's up with all these "Hey Gene" type posts? Some of you guys need to get off his nuts. Gene is just a sell out and a tool of the Neo communist Shaolin temple with their fake wushu monks Hows that for a boot upside the head :D Just playin

GeneChing
12-06-2001, 12:18 PM
I copped to that long ago. With so many fake real monks, someone has to be the real fake one...

I wish I could sell out, I need the money.:p

Shaolindynasty
12-06-2001, 12:41 PM
Please Gene you could run a course "How to sell out in the martial arts". I would be the first to buy it trust me I really need the money!

MonkeySlap Too
12-06-2001, 02:21 PM
I am the real fake monkey!

GeneChing
12-10-2001, 03:27 PM
Man, I'd love to do that seminar next time I'm at some kind of tournament. Request it from the promoters....

Shaolindynasty
12-11-2001, 10:21 AM
Will do Gene!:D

GeneChing
12-11-2001, 11:00 AM
How to adminstrate a kungfu forum 101

How to write kungfu videos 101

How make a living in kungfu without having to suit up everyday 101

Also have I told you of the new qigong system I'm developing. Sit on your butt qigong. I'm practicing it right now.

:p

Shaolindynasty
12-11-2001, 01:20 PM
I'll take this one
"How make a living in kungfu without having to suit up everyday 101"

but How about

Reading ridiculus KF posts all day 101

Kissing @$$ for free Kungfu stuff 101

Shameless Kungfu promotion 101

rubthebuddha
12-11-2001, 02:38 PM
Gene,

just thought i'd mention a couple things:

we got in a smidgeon of an OT discussion in the KF/KF thread of "some of you might appreciate this," and to ask a question of other users, i felt i had to use a couple racist terms (dago, wet back, etc.). in no way do i appreciate these terms, but i refer to them in dialogue when the situation warrants it. i hope i wasn't out of line, but you might want to take a look at that thread to make sure i wasn't. kill my post if you need to -- it won't hurt my feelings.

also, kudos to you on your software catching the term wet back, as it shows up as lots of stars when you type it properly as one word.

one last thing: i dunno how much you know about press law and libel, but i gave a quick glossover of libel law in the KF/KF thread of "on the nature of ranting and gossip" that kung lek tossed up. i put that up there for both users and admin, just in case it can help.

anyhoo, that's it. have a grand day and post here or e-mail me if you need to chats.

GeneChing
12-12-2001, 12:00 PM
sd: Shameless Kungfu promotion 101 is graduate version of How to sell out in martial arts 101. Reading ridiculus KF posts all day 101, well, that's more of an addiction. And Kissing @$$ for free Kungfu stuff 101 should be a class that you all teach me. There's a chapter in Shameless Kungfu promotion 101 that cover how to get the free stuff to give away... :p

rtb: Libel is a funny thing on the net, especially when juxtaposed with confidentiality. So far, no one has really pursued it to the point of lawsuit since lawsuits are often more expensive to get started than they are worth. But I'm sure that's coming...
As for the posts, I believe you have the power to edit your onw posts now, so try that. We have been focused on just getting the forum moved and running smoothly, so the censored words are still just auto functions of vBulletin.

rubthebuddha
12-12-2001, 02:39 PM
i've actually edited plenty of my own posts, but i was curious about your opinion of the content of that particular one, and i wanted to let you know that something out there is questionable.

as far as libel and anonymity, i'm looking forward to how the courts will view such things as privacy, confidentiality and censorship. private organizations don't usually have to share membership information, but since the internet is so much more prevalent and far-reaching than print, radio and television (still trying to get my antennae to pick up leningrad's KMIX 96 fm - home of russky rock!), and it's far more difficult to screen content, i wouldn't be surprised if applicable laws actually became MORE stringent.

GeneChing
12-13-2001, 01:28 AM
In answer to your question, since you put it so directly, I didn't think you were particularly out of line, given the context. But I did think the subject was way OT, and as always, the profanity is troublesome - this is a family show, after all. Unfortunately there's not too much that can be done about that - even the most rigorous of censors will be thwarted by a well placed *. So while I don't support that thread personally, and posting on it feeds it, I'll defend your right to post there. As a publisher, I'm a devout supporter of free speech, so my moderation style is pretty lax, perhaps to a fault. I'd go crazy if I had to delete every OT post. My opinion beyond that is pretty irrelevant. We provide this forum for airing opinions, preferably about MA, but as we saw on 9/11, it has a powerful social function that cannot be denied. That day changed my perception of this forum - indeed my perception of everything - and it made me much more forgiving of OT threads.

As for libel, as soon as a lawyer produces good cause, we'll be happy to give them whatever info they need and delete whatever posts necessary. It's just a forum and I don't feel as if it's members have to be protected by us. Again, this is a MA forum, so everyone should be focused on protecting themselves. A warrior should stand behind his or her word. But then, truly, we aren't all warriors here. Nevertheless, I would hope that we could behave as such. While I certainly don't expect the newbies to understand the ins and outs of martial etiquette, there is a obvious high moral ground here, and certainly those who take that path are recognized. If a member is actually harming another member by 'libel' posts, they should be busted, and the justice system will have our full cooperation. However, personally I think it's only a forum, and if you have to take it to the point of lawsuit, well, that seems just a little absurd. But who knows what tommorrow will bring?

rubthebuddha
12-13-2001, 01:57 PM
well said.

as far as tomorrow, i feel it'll only bring what we make of it. could be armageddon or worse, but if we act the way we should and do something right for others and ourselves, then the day can't be a total loss.

happy day and consider my next toast to be aimed in your direction.

-dave

GeneChing
12-14-2001, 12:53 AM
For a long time I had the lyrics to a song titled "My brother Esau" on my license plate frames. The front said "shadowboxing the apocalypse"; the back said "and wandering the land." Well, I lost the back frame, so I moved the front frame to the back, then it broke in two, so now it just says "apocalypse".

For me, Kungfu has always been about shadowboxing the apocalypse. To me it's a spin on the Hakagure's notion of greeting every day like it's your dying one. Implicit in that is to be righteousness, although with the current trend towards suicide mass murders maybe not so. Still, those are outliers, I hope everyone wants to face death with courage and righteousness.

Hmm, this is a pretty heavy place to arrive from asking about the appropriateness of racial slang. That toast is coming right back at you, Dave. Cheers!