PDA

View Full Version : Financial struggling and training

ZhuiQuan
04-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Yes, I can train at home... but if I want to learn new exercises and make sure I'm doing them correctly so I don't hurt myself, or if I want to learn new techniques or forms, what would be a good source? I've seen videos, but usually they have only showed forms. I still work out at home, but I miss having a teacher to learn from and I admit that I'm more motivated when I have someone to show my progress to (although sashes and trophies don't matter to me, I like to show people that I am absorbing their lessons and that their efforts are worth it)

I did train for about 8-9 months up until sometime last year. I'm a single working father, I can't really afford the $100-$150 a month to sign up at a school, nor do I have the time to go there enough for it to even be worth the money. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation?

I'm sort of just grasping for suggestions here...

SevenStar
04-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Yes, I can train at home... but if I want to learn new exercises and make sure I'm doing them correctly so I don't hurt myself, or if I want to learn new techniques or forms, what would be a good source? I've seen videos, but usually they have only showed forms. I still work out at home, but I miss having a teacher to learn from and I admit that I'm more motivated when I have someone to show my progress to (although sashes and trophies don't matter to me, I like to show people that I am absorbing their lessons and that their efforts are worth it)

I did train for about 8-9 months up until sometime last year. I'm a single working father, I can't really afford the $100-$150 a month to sign up at a school, nor do I have the time to go there enough for it to even be worth the money. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation?

I'm sort of just grasping for suggestions here...

go to the local rec center or ymca and see what they have. Judo is common around community centers, and usually doesn't cost much. For example, we have a former three time national champ who teaches at a rec center for $10 a month. we have another who trained judo in japan and is one of the highest ranking american kendo exponents alive, and he charges next to nothing also.

Black Jack II
04-24-2007, 01:51 PM
local rec center or ymca

Word,

So much gold can be hidden there. My neck of the woods we got great judo, jujitsu, and some excellent okinawa karate.

ZhuiQuan
04-24-2007, 02:23 PM
I didn't even consider the YMCA. I used to go to summer camp at my local Y. I'm not into Judo, Jujitsu, Karate, or anything they'd probably teach, but for the sake of training (and that I'm obviously not in a position to be picky) it's totally worth checking out.

Thanks.