PDA

View Full Version : OT: so we are not alone.

SPJ
04-25-2007, 07:00 AM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/H/HABITABLE_PLANET?SITE=OHRAV&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

:)

golden arhat
04-25-2007, 07:06 AM
it was a dead cert to begin with

lol
here's my theory

THE UNIVERSE IS INFINITE

so

anything any body has ever thought of is thinking or will think of
is happening somewhere
has happened somewhere
and will happen somewhere

forever

INFINITLEY

lol

SPJ
05-07-2007, 08:57 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/04/25/habitable.planet.ap/index.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/technology/technology.html?in_page_id=1965&in_article_id=450467

http://www.eso.org/outreach/press-rel/pr-2007/pr-22-07.html

:)

SPJ
05-07-2007, 09:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTboCLhAfCw&mode=related&search=

then I remember the popular song about star/subaru in 80'.

not the car.

:D

BruceSteveRoy
05-07-2007, 09:13 AM
yeah this was all over the news like 2 weeks ago. one expert said that with our fastest rockets it would take something like 400,000 years to get there.

tug
05-07-2007, 09:20 AM
yeah this was all over the news like 2 weeks ago. one expert said that with our fastest rockets it would take something like 400,000 years to get there.

Most likely not going to land anything on her in our lifetime.

How many years did it take to plan, implement and touch down on Mars? Or even the moon, for that matter?

Shaolinlueb
05-07-2007, 10:05 AM
400,000 years? ****. wheres sefrin cochran when you need him?

BoulderDawg
05-07-2007, 10:26 AM
It doesn't look promising. If there is intelligent life on that planet they are probably freezing their asses off!:D

Anyway there is probably intelligent life out there somewhere. However it might be a million light years away. No way will we ever know. As far as all these reports about aliens landing on Earth......I don't understand how come so many believe in this.

SifuAbel
05-07-2007, 10:35 AM
It doesn't look promising. If there is intelligent life on that planet they are probably freezing their asses off!:D

"However, the research team believes the average temperature to be somewhere between 32 and 104 degrees and that set off celebrations among astronomers."

tug
05-07-2007, 10:36 AM

Anyway there is probably intelligent life out there somewhere. However it might be a million light years away. No way will we ever know. As far as all these reports about aliens landing on Earth......I don't understand how come so many believe in this.

Maybe many are misled in thinking "ali3ns" are coming to Earth, but it is foolish to believe we are not alone in this universe IMO.

SifuAbel
05-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Kaku once said that the thought that we are alone is arrogant.

There may be civilizations out there that are millions of years old with the technology to traverse space/time.

They may have been here and left 70 million years ago. This could have been "that cooky planet with all the big lizards. " Not exactly the place you'd want to be a tourist.

BoulderDawg
05-07-2007, 10:55 AM
I don't think I've ever heard the argument (outside of religious nuts of course)that we are the only intelligent life in the universe.

What I have seen is someone expressing the opinion that no aliens have invaded Earth. Then someone else will come back with "What makes you think there is no intelligent life other than on Earth?"...................

That's an unparallel argument. In other words you are comparing apples to oranges.

PangQuan
05-07-2007, 11:06 AM
who says extraterrestrial life would be so different from the human form as to be completely noticable?

you never REALLY know, do you?

I dont, and if you do, please, let the rest of us in on it cause im dying to be in the knowing.

maybe aliens look just like us and have been living here for a long time.

maybe we are the aliens.

SanHeChuan
05-07-2007, 11:11 AM
THE REPTILIAN AGENDA (http://www.reptilianagenda.com/menu.shtml)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

BoulderDawg
05-07-2007, 11:30 AM
who says extraterrestrial life would be so different from the human form as to be completely noticable?

you never REALLY know, do you?

I dont, and if you do, please, let the rest of us in on it cause im dying to be in the knowing.

maybe aliens look just like us and have been living here for a long time.

maybe we are the aliens.

And then again maybe aliens are shaped like animals. Oh My God!!!!!!! My cat is an alien!!!!!:D

tug
05-07-2007, 11:48 AM
IMO humans, this planet and our universe is but one infinitesimally small part of a much larger experiment - proposed, implemented, studied, forgotten and relegated to the far back of an entity's refrigerator next to the leftovers and stale bread.

Additionally, there are many universes much smaller than us on a purely atomic level within our own limited understanding.

There are countless other universes/experiments pending that are unknown...

David Jamieson
05-07-2007, 02:55 PM
so long as we keep thinking we need engines and vehicles with them to get somewhere, is as long as we will be stuck here and not going anywhere. :)

SPJ
05-07-2007, 05:07 PM
without getting into religions;

if the planet earth was so hot/burning and not cool enough to be inhabitable in the beginning;

then all life including us must come from the cold outer space.

some said the frozen dna "samples" might be carried to here with meteors?!

--

:confused: :eek: :D

PangQuan
05-07-2007, 07:38 PM
without getting into religions;

if the planet earth was so hot/burning and not cool enough to be inhabitable in the beginning;

then all life including us must come from the cold outer space.

some said the frozen dna "samples" might be carried to here with meteors?!

--

:confused: :eek: :D

I have been a long time supporter of this type of probablity.

Think about it. What if your planet for some crazy reason decides to blow up. or gets blown up by something near it that decides to blow up. Wouldnt the water on earth instantly freeze when it goes into outer space? wouldnt then much of the life inside feeze with it. micro scopic. millions of things. tissue. bugs. fish. whales. humans. plants.

once set in motion its not going to stop until it hits something. like another planet.

Look at our moon.

When is the last time you saw a meteor shower that did that kind of devistation to the moon? Never? Those are some very old very huge craters on that moon.

at some point some massive crap hit our path. us, the moon. you name it. blam!

as stated before, if at all probable, the most likely, inevitable.

you never know

*fade out creepy music*

mattb
05-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Now we just need to get our teleportation tech up to snuff and we'll be alright. :p As far as intelligent life, I thought that was yet to be discovered here on Earth, let alone the rest of the universe.

so long as we keep thinking we need engines and vehicles with them to get somewhere, is as long as we will be stuck here and not going anywhere.Have to agree with you there. Sometimes the quickest results are not the most efficient.

splinter
05-07-2007, 08:18 PM
I love how people come up with all kinds of ideas about what's "Likely" and "Probable" when they haven't the faintest idea of what would be necessary to for such a thing to happen.

There are actually LOTS of scientists who have put LOTS of thought into the likelyhood of both the existence of extraterestrial beings, as well as what the chances are that they'd visit.

As far as whether or not they exist, most believe that they COULD, and as far as whether or not they'd come to visit, most agree that they probably would NOT.

The main reason they figure aliens would not come to visit us, is that regardless of how they're travelling, the cost of it would not make it worthwile. The cost would be in the form of time, or energy, or money or whatever. Just think... how much would it cost US to go and see an alien planet? Even if we could travel at the speed of light (which we're not even close to), it would take 4 years (Plus the trillions of dollars to develop that technology) to get to the nearest star, which doesn't have any planets that can host life.

Ok, now consider this, there are millions of planets out there. We've just found ONE that might be hospitable to life. Chances are there are lots more that we haven't found, but assuming we find more, is it a good idea to send a space mission there to explore? Probably not. How would we know which planet to go and explore? It would be pretty stupid to guess, considering how much it would cost.

Woulnd't it be a better idea to try and investigate to see if there actually IS life out there? Mabye we should check to see if there are any radio signals that can be said are have an intelligent pattern coming from any of those planets?

Seems reasonable, right? Figure out which planets are sending out radio signals that are clearly not naturally occuring?

ok, but here's the thing... as a civilization, we've only been sending out discernible radio signals (stray radio and TV signals, or whatever else) for about 100 years. Even at the speed of light, those signals haven't reached this newly found planet, that MIGHT be able to host life.

So, why would any alien species think it's a good idea to visit us?

PangQuan
05-07-2007, 08:37 PM
totally.

Plus you have to think about the distance and the chances that any extraterrestrial life close enough to us is:

A) Sentient

B) has a civilization advanced enought for not only discovering us, but also light speed space travel.

if i were to guess i would say those chances are pretty low.

except that one time i was abducted....

Shaolinlueb
05-07-2007, 09:36 PM
i hope we find some little organism that brings the dead back to life. i so want to fight and kill zombies.

SanHeChuan
05-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Well aliens can travel faster that the speed of light, Duh. :p

golden arhat
05-08-2007, 06:33 AM
my bother teaches physics

and yeah funny story
he worked out some how that we could if we wanted create a warp engine that could transport us faster than light

however it would oblitirate everything for several quadrillion, quadrillion (insert as many 0's as possible here) miles around

another thing i heard was that it was possible to go faster than light by finding certain points in space that had their gravity nullified by other factors and as a result was completely gravity neutral u could sling shot yourself with an incredibly powerful engine around something with massive gravity along these gravity neutral lines and reach unfathomable speeds

lol
interesting huh ?

SPJ
05-08-2007, 07:12 AM
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/05/07/supernova/index.html

the biggest/brightest super nova.

:eek:

SPJ
05-08-2007, 07:16 AM
yes. if may break the sound barrier, one day we will break the light barrier.

--

PangQuan
05-08-2007, 01:37 PM
yes. if may break the sound barrier, one day we will break the light barrier.

--

word.

i also wish to fight zombies.

Pork Chop
05-09-2007, 06:01 AM
i hope we find some little organism that brings the dead back to life. i so want to fight and kill zombies.

i too would like to beat the tar out of zombies.