PDA

View Full Version : aesthetic intimidation poll

Black Jack II
04-25-2007, 11:36 AM
This poll is to see how much physical aesthetics play a role in a potential violent encounter. When confronted by a much larger built man would you honestly feel intimidation in a enviroment outside of the training hall.

If faced with a massive adversary who is in shape or really for that matter just a very large human being would this psychological intimidation settle on your judgement pre-conflict.

For some sort of visual I will pick a photo of Shawn Ray but I could of used anybody or anything. Aesthetic intimidation can be many things besides sheer size.

http://theland.antgear.com/shawn_ray.jpg

xcakid
04-25-2007, 11:44 AM
This poll is to see how much physical aesthetics play a role in a potential violent encounter. When confronted by a much larger built man would you honestly feel intimidation in a enviroment outside of the training hall.

Yep. But depending on the circumstances, I may or may not back down.

SanHeChuan
04-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Bigger is scary but there is a limit to how big, and once you cross it they are not so scary anymore. In general I feel professional Body builders have crossed this line.

Black Jack II
04-25-2007, 04:17 PM
I don't think its about what is more scary. Just does physical size and muscle mass have a intimidation value in play. Kinda like the alpha and beta outlook.

RonH
04-25-2007, 05:22 PM
If you mean in general, it can. But, for me, the larger and taller someone is, the more there is and easier it is for me to hit.

Joints don't change in size, but the more well defined a muscle is made to be, the easier it is to grab to pull on it to stop a fight with minimum effort. The larger it is, the greater the strain is being put on the connective tissue, which also helps to stop a fight sooner.

Does anyone remember seeing a guy being brought out in hand cuffs on the news that looked like he went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high with steroids and his biceps were just enormous? It was like he had rump roasts in place of biceps. It was insane. Plus, they shook when he walked, like when you lift your arm and your tricep wiggles when you shake your arm.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Joints don't change in size, but the more well defined a muscle is made to be, the easier it is to grab to pull on it to stop a fight with minimum effort. The larger it is, the greater the strain is being put on the connective tissue, which also helps to stop a fight sooner.

no sir.

Does anyone remember seeing a guy being brought out in hand cuffs on the news that looked like he went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high with steroids and his biceps were just enormous? It was like he had rump roasts in place of biceps. It was insane. Plus, they shook when he walked, like when you lift your arm and your tricep wiggles when you shake your arm.

youre probably talking about greg vanetino (http://www.ebblog.dk/img/277/img_44d70e836f0ef.jpg). the man is a freak amongst freaks and a large portion of those biceps are sythenol.

he admits this freely and has done many interviews about it.

heres a quote from the same page the pic came from:

T: Do you think you motivate people?

GV: No, I think I disgust people. I get rotten e-mail from all over the world from people that tell me I suck, I look like s**t, I ruined my physique Then again I do get people who are awed by it, the fact that I'm a freak. Anyway, I know I disgust people. I know I'm the laughing stock of bodybuilding. I know that and that's okay with me.

here's a pic of him after having surgery from an infection caused by carelessness with needles. (http://www.geocities.com/gregvalentinofanclub/gval_damage1.jpg)

while i cant begin to understand why he did what he did, i do have to give him credit for setting a goal and accomplishing it.

Samurai Jack
04-25-2007, 11:54 PM
His goal? Are you serious?

A guy who makes a goal to inject himself with sterilized oil until he looks like the Stay-Puft marshmallow man is not worthy of anything but a long loud laugh. Serious lifters work hard for thier beef. I suppose you could say he worked hard for the money to buy that gunk. That guy is a knob, and got his just deserts.

golden arhat
04-26-2007, 01:12 AM
no sir.

youre probably talking about greg vanetino (http://www.ebblog.dk/img/277/img_44d70e836f0ef.jpg). the man is a freak amongst freaks and a large portion of those biceps are sythenol.

he admits this freely and has done many interviews about it.

heres a quote from the same page the pic came from:

here's a pic of him after having surgery from an infection caused by carelessness with needles. (http://www.geocities.com/gregvalentinofanclub/gval_damage1.jpg)

while i cant begin to understand why he did what he did, i do have to give him credit for setting a goal and accomplishing it.

LOL thats just plain rediculous

for me personally i have fight adults constantly (theres no one my age at the gym)
and although i am less afraid i know that a big guy can just pick u up and throw u to the curb
and then thats game over
remembering of course thatfights dont start by touching gloves and getting ready then moving about for a bit

it juststarts by one guy getting hit

so lets say
i'm not afraid of fighting big guys
but i am afraid of being attacked by big guys

Black Jack II
04-26-2007, 06:22 AM
I know its a poll and mean't to be a blanket statement but lets just say I don't buy the six responses that says it can be completely overcome by training.

It's either from a younger person's mma grappling tough guy standpoint, they are built like monsters themselves, have seen a lot of military **** or I don't think they have had much experiance in finding themselves in bad situations and its just hype to say that martial arts training can overcome the complete physical intimidation that is seen in the real world.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-26-2007, 06:52 AM
His goal? Are you serious?

A guy who makes a goal to inject himself with sterilized oil until he looks like the Stay-Puft marshmallow man is not worthy of anything but a long loud laugh. Serious lifters work hard for thier beef. I suppose you could say he worked hard for the money to buy that gunk. That guy is a knob, and got his just deserts.

fair enough ... like i said i can never begin to understand why he did what he did .... but if you read his interviews he actually sounds like a reasonably intelligent and very down to earth guy. dont kid yourself and think he hasnt done his share of hard work either. at one time the ****er was curling 300lbs and anyone whos worked out with him has said the guy is a beast. also i was wrong about the synthol ... at least according to him:

GV: What it is this: everyone accuses me of Synthol. I don't take Synthol. I was taking propionate and Equipoise into the muscle itself. Synthol just works one way: it stretches the fascia. With Equipoise and propionate you get the double whammy. You get the stretch from the oil plus you get the localized growth from the drugs themselves.

Synthol is like taking oil without the drug. It's like taking dead oil — like buying fake steroids without a drug in there. You can only get so much for Synthol. I've got 27-inch arms, what, you think I have seven inches of oil in there? That would be ridiculous; they wouldn't even look like arms anymore. Listen, I had 21-inch arms before I ever took a steroid in my life.

anyway consider taking 2 mins to read this interview on tnation before further judging the guy. its interesting to hear what he has to say.
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=211hate

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-26-2007, 07:03 AM
LOL thats just plain rediculous

for me personally i have fight adults constantly (theres no one my age at the gym)
and although i am less afraid i know that a big guy can just pick u up and throw u to the curb
and then thats game over
remembering of course thatfights dont start by touching gloves and getting ready then moving about for a bit

it juststarts by one guy getting hit

so lets say
i'm not afraid of fighting big guys
but i am afraid of being attacked by big guys

just to make sure were on the same page .... my comments about valentino were seperate from the "no sir" comment. i hear what you are saying, especially as a smaller guy myself, but this:

the more well defined a muscle is made to be, the easier it is to grab to pull on it to stop a fight with minimum effort. The larger it is, the greater the strain is being put on the connective tissue, which also helps to stop a fight sooner.

had to be addressed and i couldnt think of a more direct way to address it. thats just nonsense, though ill freely admit that i used to entertain such notions myself.

MasterKiller
04-26-2007, 07:20 AM
The real question is, are big black guys intimidated by other big black guys?

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-26-2007, 07:31 AM
i wish i were a big black dude. i wouldnt even care if i were intimidated by other big black dudes. i'd just spend all my time scarin skinny white boys. id walk up to them and be like, "heeeyyyy ... how bout i beat you up and **** your girlfriend in the butt."

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-26-2007, 07:39 AM
.... man im so pimp as a little white dude its no wonder god didnt bless me with the blackness. id be so pimp it would be redicumous. im gonna day dream for a bit now.

Black Jack II
04-26-2007, 08:46 AM
are big black guys intimidated by other big black guys?

Only thing more scary than a big black guy is mechagodzilla.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://kaiju.boomcoach.com/gallery/smg.jpg&imgrefurl=http://kaiju.boomcoach.com/gallery/mechazilla.html&h=581&w=295&sz=16&hl=en&start=18&tbnid=eI8A3JPvwrIqDM:&tbnh=134&tbnw=68&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmechagodzilla%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10% 26hl%3Den

SevenStar
04-26-2007, 08:47 AM
The real question is, are big black guys intimidated by other big black guys?

ROFL... Anyway, there is kind of an odd racial thing to that, that I have seen. I have been told flat out by guys that they would try to fight me if I weren't so much bigger than them. size is definitely an intimidating facctor. The racial thing is that it does seem to apply to black guys, when you are asking black guys. I know guys who, no matter how big a white guy is, their first thought is "I'm not getting beat down by any white boy" - but those same guys will back away from me because I am to big.

From the perspective of a trained person (me) I will put it this way - last week, I had to put an nba player out of the club - I won't name him, don't ask - he told me that I looked swoll and overly aggressive, so he wasn't going to resist me.

several months ago, jerome bettis came in. When I saw him, the first thought in my head was "d@mn, I hope I don't have to put HIM out..." So yeah, size is a factor for sure, and yeah, big black guys are intimidated by other big black guys.

SevenStar
04-26-2007, 08:48 AM

tell me you don't really believe this...

bodhitree
04-26-2007, 08:58 AM
You'd never have to put the Bus out, Jerome is as awesome of a person as he was a running back.

bodhitree
04-26-2007, 08:59 AM
size does matter. Try combat sports (judo/jujitsu) with someone who is huge, sure if they have no technique you may get them, but if they know how to use there size, it's all over.

Black Jack II
04-26-2007, 09:00 AM
But the real question is are big black guys afraid of mechagodzilla?

bodhitree
04-26-2007, 09:04 AM
some black guys think they can beat any white person, even if the white person has training. I had some pictures from my sanshou fight and the fighter that beat me was white. This black kid, probably 19 or 20 was asking me questions about the fight. Then he said "I would've knocked him out". This kid doesn't train in any martial art. He has no fighting experience, but simply because dude was white the kid though he could fight better than him.

edit: i didn't vote on this poll, just to let all know.

another edit: The dude that beat me beat 3 more people to win the division, I told the kid this and he said "that don't matter".

SevenStar
04-26-2007, 09:13 AM
But the real question is are big black guys afraid of mechagodzilla?

unless he is a big black guy, then no.

Black Jack II
04-26-2007, 09:21 AM
unless he is a big black guy, then no.

What....are your racist against silver monsters or something?

SevenStar
04-26-2007, 09:31 AM
not at all, but they just aren't as intimidating. I bet kimbo could take mechagodzilla...

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-26-2007, 10:01 AM
From the perspective of a trained person (me) I will put it this way - last week, I had to put an nba player out of the club - I won't name him, don't ask - he told me that I looked swoll and overly aggressive, so he wasn't going to resist me.

several months ago, jerome bettis came in. When I saw him, the first thought in my head was "d@mn, I hope I don't have to put HIM out..." So yeah, size is a factor for sure, and yeah, big black guys are intimidated by other big black guys.

you know i bet it has something to do with the fact that as a general rule black have more confidence. if anyone doubts this dont look to large black men ... look to large black women.

plus muscles look better on black people. i think it has something to do with lighting .... white dudes bronze their skin something ridiculous before bodylifting comps, but i dont think big ron has to use anything but oil. could be wrong about that one though.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-26-2007, 10:07 AM
not at all, but they just aren't as intimidating. I bet kimbo could take mechagodzilla...

in a straight on street boxing match for sure, but if mechagodzilla were permitted to use his flame thrower and missles he might have a slight edge.

SevenStar
04-26-2007, 10:11 AM
plus muscles look better on black people. i think it has something to do with lighting .... white dudes bronze their skin something ridiculous before bodylifting comps, but i dont think big ron has to use anything but oil. could be wrong about that one though.

yeah, that's true. there are even some lighter skinned black guys who tan before comps. there was one in particular in the early 90s... I think his name was paul something. If I find time to go to the storage facility, I will dig up my old muscle mags.

Mas Judt
04-26-2007, 10:23 AM
People are funny. I've always had a big mix of friends and associates from all walks of life, cultural categories and 'races.' (I think race is a silly concept, culture is really what drives differentiation).

Color, size, bravado - these things are less of a concern to me than seems to be the norm. Now - if the person is crazy - that concerns me, because it takes greater care to diffuse the situation.

Mega-Foot
04-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Did any of you watch the Ultimate Fighter season where the scary looking black dude (in Ken Shamrock's camp, friend of Spyder), was taken out by a college student studying Nursing?

And how did he win? With a head kick.

Race is not indicative of physical prowess. I think pro sports demonstrate this pretty well.

Besides, grace is more important than power. I fear a graceful fighter more than I fear a muscle-bound meathead.