PDA

View Full Version : America's oldest gung fu studio

hskwarrior
04-26-2007, 09:52 PM
hey folks.....

been busy but here is my newest video clip.

it has footage of Lau Bun when he was alive. lots of rare stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCs1Lcip-Io

Shaolinlueb
04-27-2007, 09:54 AM
frank, i love the music you pick for your videos.

hskwarrior
04-27-2007, 12:07 PM
SL,

YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND.......I'M A PRODUCT OF MY ENVIRONMENT. AS A SMALL BOY I GREW UP DURING THE TAIL OF THE "REAL CHOLO" ERA.......SO LOW RIDERS ARE ANOTHER FASCINATION OF MINE. AS A TEEN AGER I GREW UP WATCHING THE BIRTH OF HIP HOP, AND REAL HIP HOPPERS WILL ALWAYS BE TRUE TO THEIR ROOTS.

i DON'T LIKE OTHER TYPES OF MUSIC REALLY OTHER THAN RNB, HIP HOP AND SOME DANCE. BUT ROCK, ALTERNATIVE.......AHHHH.....THAT'S JUST NOT MY STYLE HOMIE........

OUT HERE IN THE BAY AREA, ITS REAL BIG.....I MEAN HIP HOP. EVEN THE WHITEY'S OUT HERE ARE HIP HOP RELATED......ONLY THE SQUARE ONES DON'T LIKE HIP HOP..... BUT I KNOW MY MUSIC ISN'T FOR EVERYONE......BUT IT IS FOR ME. IT'S WHAT I THINK FITS THE MOOD I'M IN.

BUT I HOPE YOU LIKED THE VIDEO ALTOGHER.....ASIDE FROM THE MUSIC.;)

hskwarrior
04-27-2007, 12:09 PM
So I Would Take It You Don't Like Cotton Mouth Kings Either?

What Kind Of Music That Hasn't Been Done, That Can Get My Point Across And Such Would You Suggest?

I'll Listen:d

Shaolinlueb
04-27-2007, 01:44 PM
frank

i didnt mean it as a deterent. i'm just sayig i like the music choice, to me its interesting.

90% of the kung fu demo's use the wong fie hung song. the others used a combination of traditional or songs about rising up. you always keep your unique and i like em.

adam

TenTigers
04-27-2007, 02:11 PM
porcupine tree - "halo" http://youtube.com/watch?v=5SClz7PvLyw

- "shallow" ,http://youtube.com/watch?v=na3aeUL0fFs

-but then again, I'm a square:cool:
-man, I'm so white sometimes, I'm like a freakin albino!

hskwarrior
04-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Adam,

Thanks, I Just Feel Hip Hop Sets "my" Mood. I See Gung Fu In A Way Others Don't, And I Feel Hardcore Hip Hop Does It For The Realistic Martial Artists.if You Like It, Thanks. I Like To Keep It Interesting.

Tentigers.......nah, Thats Not My Style Either. No Umph!!!!! To Me Whiter Musice Has No Bottom, No Base, It Seems Like All Highs And Treble. I Love Bass!!!!!

Frank

hskwarrior
04-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Thnks Troy

yutyeesam
04-28-2007, 01:20 AM
Here's the music that would be my choice:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=APTdjG6Xo9A
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4qYjaoNCxXY

That's how I Roll. lol I even attempt to make riffs...um..yeah. http://www.myspace.com/ghettopopp

PS again, great video, hsk. Thank you for sharing that rare footage!

Satori Science
04-28-2007, 07:52 AM
The new Vid is really nice, I love watching your Fut San CLF it reminds me a lot of the traditional Bak Hsing movements we teach like the ones in Sup Jee Kuen. You don't see anyone else use the wheel punch quite the same way. Mad props dude.

I may have to come visit you and learn that butterfly knife set you showed in the vintage video collection, it was so dope!

I also feel you on th Hip Hop/production issue. I've been trying to limit the amount of rap I use when I make vids I plan to show the public because I know the stigmas that can be attached to it. But for me I train to hip hop and it expresses how I feel about my Gung Fu best.

By the way, ware did your footage that you posted of Shane Lacey duing ping kuen come from? It was very interesting to watch, thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qypgG3TdNkA

hskwarrior
04-28-2007, 08:21 AM
SATORI,

MUCH APPRECIATED. AND AS MANY DO BELIEVE, BUK SING AND HUNG SING ARE NOT AS SEPARATED AS SOME MAY THINK. ASIDE FROM SOME MINOR DIFFERENCES, BUK SING AND HUNG SING ARE ONE AND THE SAME. SO I FEEL IT WOULD BE COMMON TO SEE MANY SIMILARITIES. BUT THANKS AGAIN.

i GOT THE SIFU SHANE VIDEO FROM A RECORDING OF TAT MAU WONG'S KUNG FU THEATER.......A LATE NIGHT SHOW FEATURING GUNG FU MOVIES, THEN HIGHLIGHTS OF VARIOUS MASTERS.

IN REGARDS TO HIP HOP, I LOVE IT. ALTHOUGH I PREFER THE INSTRUMENTAL VERSIONS BETTER, I GOTTA STAY TRUE. WHEN I WAS WORKING ON SHANE'S VIDEO, WAS ASKING MYSELF WHAT WOULD GO GOOD AND I FELT SINCE BUK SING HAS THAT HARDCORE EDGE ABOUT THEM A HARDCORE TRACK WOULD SUFFICE.

YEAH, NO PROBLEM ABOUT THE BUTTERFLY KNIVE SET. IT IS SAID TO BE ONE OF THE OLDER/MORE ORIGINAL SETS FROM FUT SAN. BUT I LOVE IT TOO......YOU DON'T SEE IT LIKE THAT MUCH ANYMORE........

CONTACT ME, WE'LL WORK SOMETHING OUT.

Eddie
04-28-2007, 11:27 AM
love the videos. the hip hop is to much for me tho, to much hip hop around down here I guess. Think you'd love it here. You need to come visit.
anyways, as they say down here: 'Stay black ... " ;)
Fohshizzle

hskwarrior
04-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks Eddie,

I Hear You've Been Having A Ball With You Guest Over There;)

Eddie
04-28-2007, 12:08 PM
yup. we been doing allot of training and conditioning. For the last three weeks I have been doing pai dai atleast twice a day every single day, even sundays. We do fighting training in the group classes (then we all have partners to train with), and I've been trainingforms with Sifu Chow every day.

One thing I just realised again, it doesnt matter what style you play, if you focus on fighting, you will have the right tools.

I've now learn to throw a pek choy the way the pek gwar guys throw it, and I like it. Not that much different to CLF tho (or least I dont think so), so its pretty good.

Sifu Chow will return to HK next month for abotu three months, but will return to SA least 3 times a year. His one student from China is comming next friday to help take his classes while he is back in HK.

back to hip hop, the hummer H3 has finaly hit our shores in a right hand drive model. Im not a car guy (dont care much about cars), but those things are nice. We drove past one today with two hip hoppers (like something out of a movie) inside with their rap stuff blasting from out of the car. First person I thought of, was you. I swear ;)

hskwarrior
04-28-2007, 02:54 PM
thanks alot eddie:eek:

no, i like the smaller cars, but with bass that can touch your face man.........

when you can feel the boom in your chest, there's nothing better;)

about the pek choy, sometimes it takes us learning something else to realize what a treasure we have in clf. but, i don't think pek choy should be limited to one way.........we have to develop our pek choys and that means exploring all possibilities..............

it happened for me in escrima, i developed a new understanding for the butterfly knives. so its all good.

glad its working out for you.

CLFNole
04-28-2007, 02:56 PM
I have never quite understood the whole mega-bass in the car thing. Not sure I want all my internal organs shaking while I am trying to drive. :eek:

hskwarrior
04-28-2007, 03:14 PM
lmao.......it's a lifestyle man.....

see, i'm an original member of the SECOND TO NONE dj group here in the bay area, and i grew up around music. i also guess it's an inner city ghetto trait that only those who grew up that way could understand.

there's nothing better than cruising in your city on a nice day, windows down, head bobbin to the beat......boom boom, boom, boom boom boom........it's the cali way nole.......

yeah it may ruin my ears, but the memories will last a lifetime.;)

CLFNole
04-28-2007, 03:19 PM
I feel ya Frank but my skinny body can't take all that bass. :eek: When someone rides up on me with bass my whole body starts to vibrate. I got nothing against hip-hop in fact I kind of prefer the old school stuff like Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5, Dougie Fresh and RUN DMC... I was a b-boy breaker back in the day. I like all kinds of music but in truth when I practice I tend to rock out nothing like ripping guitar riffs and big-hair singers (better without the makeup of course).

Peace OG

hskwarrior
04-28-2007, 03:32 PM
to each his own...right;)

i like some rock, but i like raggae, hawaiian, latin, and others, but the music i feel connected to white culture........it lacks something for me.....i guess its the bass.

if it don't have bass, it can't touch my soul.

like i said,....to each his own.

og ha!!!!!!! is that??????

old goof?

old goat?

oriental ginger?

outta gas?

orally gifted?:D

peace out u young whipper snapper:rolleyes:

CLFNole
04-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Young whipper snapper? You and me are the same age (get older by the minute ;) )

hskwarrior
04-28-2007, 03:44 PM
hey remember as kids growing up? the days used to last soooooo long. never enough to do back then. now, the years fly by like days.

see ya'll in heaven......wait not all of you;)

CLFNole
04-28-2007, 04:02 PM
You got that right, the years whip by faster and faster.

TenTigers
04-28-2007, 04:33 PM
freeloadin on the hijack....sorry,the whole mega bass thing bugs the $hit outta me. I spent too much time playing in rock bands, learning how to set up the mics,PA,levels,etc to get a good clean, balanced sound. Even bass players don't have bass like that in real bands. So it irks me.
Of course, then I turn my guitar up to eleven, until the tubes fry,full overdrive, and rip out power chords that will crush a small child. I've lost a good part of my hearing, but all's fair in rock n roll! Funny thing, my Dad used to crank up the sound system(they were called Hi-Fi's and stereos back then) he used to build his own speaker enclosures, and blast Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture-the one with real cannons, until the house shook! My Mom used to run down the stairs screaming for him to turn it down...then Lil'Rikki went out and bought his first electric guitar!
The apple don't fall far from the tree.
My girls are carrying on the tradition
http://www.myspace.com/thekungfugirls click on "Dance With Me"
it's not my type of music, and definately not hip-hop, but they rock!
Something about Kung-Fu and kick-a$$ music, whether it's metal, rock, or hip-hop-played loud as a bastid...ya gotta admit-Kung-Fu rocks!

hskwarrior
04-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Now U Got It

Music Sets The Mood.

Good Luck With Your Daughters Careers.....;)

Eddie
04-30-2007, 02:48 AM
I like bass, but a different kind of Bass. Check out stuff like Peoples Republic of Europe, Combichrist, Massiv in Mench abd what ever other industrial, EBM, Trance, Electro you get.

Funny thing, Last night after I read these comments I was flicking channels and got stuck on MTV with a show called White Rapper (somehting like that). Whole bunch of white rappers doing their thing. The world is indeed a strange place.

Even God loves techno :cool: . It was stated in Genesis :

Dann wollte Gott tanzen. Und er sah herab auf seinen DJ und er sagte : Hey DJ, gib mir deinen Rhythmus !

;)
(hope that doesnt offend anyone).

JAZA
04-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Frank, this is what you would call a chan family hoi jong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RmPSMpZmrY

hskwarrior
04-30-2007, 08:40 PM
thanks jaza. i know. from what doc fai told me that fut san does a wang jong. i forget what chan does.....

chan family hoi jongs are typically vertical while fut san hsk is typically horizontal.

hskwarrior
04-30-2007, 08:41 PM
oh i forget but i think that set is siu mui fah?????? not sure.

The Xia
04-30-2007, 08:46 PM
hey folks.....

been busy but here is my newest video clip.

it has footage of Lau Bun when he was alive. lots of rare stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCs1Lcip-Io
It was cool seeing footage of Lau Bun.

hskwarrior
04-30-2007, 08:48 PM
tanks man. long time no talk.:D

The Xia
04-30-2007, 09:06 PM
tanks man. long time no talk.:D
You're welcome. It's good to talk to you again. :)
On another note, I'll throw in one suggestion. For a new video, how's about putting Lau Bun's footage up unmixed with the other videos? Don't get me wrong, I liked the mix, but I think the Lau Bun footage as a standalone video would make a nice little memorial.

JAZA
05-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Frank,

It's siu moi fah. Is the performer related to your school?

Nice videos of Lau Bun time btw.

hskwarrior
05-01-2007, 12:19 PM
From What My Sifu Said Was He May Have Been A Hung Sing Student, But Went To Hong Kong And Learned That Set. He's Moves Alot Different Than Many Of The Chan Fam Stuff I've Seen Though.

And Thanks For The Comp's On The Lau Bun Stuff. It's Just Been Sitting Here Doing Nothing. Im Glad You Liked It, I've Been Getting Some Great Feed Back From That Clip.

Frank