PDA

View Full Version : What magazines are you subscribed to?

wushu555
03-25-2001, 03:22 AM
I'm subscribed to the big three - Black Belt, Inside Kung-fu and Kung Fu Qigong. The rest I read in the stands. What about you?

Design Sifu
04-03-2001, 10:14 PM
The other mags are really so annoying I don't bother.

Still I really havn't subscribed to any mags, I'm just constantly picking Mags up off the rack.

Budokan
04-10-2001, 09:10 PM
I currently subscribe to BB Mag but will let it drop after the subscription runs out. I just can't take it anymore. For every good article they print there's a waste of five or six. Not to mention the heavy advertisement.

I'll start subscribing to Journal of Asian Martial Arts later this year.

K. Mark Hoover

GeneChing
04-19-2001, 07:03 PM
Yeah, well, it's my job and sometimes it's really painful. I remember the editor of Science Fiction once said that his ability to write was faltering because he was exposed to so much bad writing. But on the other hand, some really unusual magazines cross my desk. I just got a copy of Jurus, an Indonesian Kungfu mag. It was wacky. We also just got a copy of Action - They used a photo of ours for their Lily Lau cover!

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

NyHc
04-29-2001, 08:56 PM
An IKF subscription was given to me as a gift, but...
KFQ is my magazine of choice though.
IKF's artcles seem to be based on more commercial topics. ie KF media, Bruce Lee, plus numerous non-kung fu related articles. I haven't one bad thing to say about Bruce Lee, but IKF REALLY over does the Bruce Lee thing. Plus, if I have to see one more add for that Wallid Ismael guy, I'm gonna gouge my eyes out.
KFQ's articles seem to be based on more traditional topics. From lion dance to cooking to traditions to KUNG FU.

I never even browse through any other mags at the news stand anymore. It's all a bunch of jibberish to me.

shaolin_knight
05-08-2001, 08:44 PM
I am not subscribed to, but buy:
KungFu QiGong
Inside Kung Fu
and I bought a couple issues of Black Belt.
I buy KFQ and IKF regularly, and one time I was curious about black belt because of Shi Yan Ming on the cover. It had a good article about san da punching techniques, and said it was part one of a series of three on punching, kicking, grappling. Bought the next issue, no Shi Yan Ming article. Never bought again. But if I see those Shi Yan Ming articles, I'll buy it. Or any other Kung Fu master/teacher that interests me. But I must say Kungfu Qigong is the best, I wish I found it sooner. Been buying for over a year, and it keeps getting better. IKF is a little to mainstream for me, with all the JKD/Kali/Arnis/Zimbabwe articles in there. I miss the monthly KFQ issues, but the e-zine is fine. It has good articles. Hey Gene Ching, when will we see an article about your Northern Shaolin training with Wing Lam? or an article about Wing Lam that has to do with Northern Shaolin? Just a hope.

GeneChing
05-08-2001, 10:08 PM
Check out our latest e-zine. I just published a big piece on Northern Shaolin.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

shaolin_knight
05-11-2001, 06:49 AM
I loved the article.