PDA

View Full Version : Robert Chu Wing Chun Book ?

Firehawk4
04-27-2007, 10:58 AM
I read in a magazine that Robert Chu has a Wing Chun book coming out anybody know when it will be out ? and what will be covered in it ?

t_niehoff
04-27-2007, 12:09 PM
I read in a magazine that Robert Chu has a Wing Chun book coming out anybody know when it will be out ? and what will be covered in it ?

I don't know exactly when it will be coming out. My understanding is that it will cover the Chu Sau Lei method/approach to WCK including the forms, drills, theory, training, etc. It will be a good reference to go along with Alan's DVDs.

reneritchie
05-10-2007, 01:40 PM
I read the manuscripts for a series of books he was working on almost 10 years ago. Excellent stuff. He's always refining and testing his method, but hopefully he'll get something he's happy with out before I'm too old to read :)

Matrix
05-16-2007, 07:32 PM
I don't know exactly when it will be coming out. My understanding is that it will cover the Chu Sau Lei method/approach to WCK including the forms, drills, theory, training, etc. It will be a good reference to go along with Alan's DVDs.Terence,
I find it somewhat hypocritical that you could recommend this book when you are so opposed to the traditional forms, drills, theories and training that this book will cover. Will it also cover the cha cha and the waltz. :rolleyes:

t_niehoff
05-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Terence,
I find it somewhat hypocritical that you could recommend this book when you are so opposed to the traditional forms, drills, theories and training that this book will cover. Will it also cover the cha cha and the waltz. :rolleyes:

I said that it would be a "good reference" to go along with Alan's DVDs, as it gives a fuller picture of Robert's method of teaching and curriculum (to interested persons). But you are correct, that much of Robert's curriculum is traditional, and much of the CMA tradition is, from a functional standpoint, useless.

Paul T England
05-17-2007, 02:04 AM
Learning the English Alphabet has no functional use but it makes learning English language much easier!

Sorry don't mean to highjack the thread....might start another!

To bring it back on track, I have a great respect for Robert and Alan's methods and a book would be a nice reference.

Paul

Matrix
05-17-2007, 04:49 AM
I said that it would be a "good reference" to go along with Alan's DVDs, as it gives a fuller picture of Robert's method of teaching and curriculum (to interested persons). But you are correct, that much of Robert's curriculum is traditional, and much of the CMA tradition is, from a functional standpoint, useless.Terrence,
A good reference that is functionally "useless" to use your words is not functional.

But let's just leave it at that, siince I feel that I've made my point.
I'll probably get the book when it comes out. I expect that I will enjoy it.

Matrix
05-17-2007, 04:53 AM
To bring it back on track, I have a great respect for Robert and Alan's methods and a book would be a nice reference.Paul,
Just so we're absolutely clear, this has nothing to do with Robert or Alan. It was merely an observation on what I see as inconsistency in TN's remarks. I think I'll leave it at that.

Cheers,

sanjuro_ronin
05-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Roberts first book was quite excellent.
Looking forward to a more "practical oriented" one.

t_niehoff
05-17-2007, 05:33 AM
Learning the English Alphabet has no functional use but it makes learning English language much easier!

Sorry don't mean to highjack the thread....might start another!

To bring it back on track, I have a great respect for Robert and Alan's methods and a book would be a nice reference.

Paul

Exactly. My perspective is that the traditional forms (linked sets) and drills of WCK are for learning/teaching only and will not develop functional skills. But we need to learn whatever it is before we can make it, via realistic training, functional. Robert preserves those traditional methods in his teaching curriculum. Alan's DVDs, at least the set I've seen, focuses more on that functional level of training. This is why I said that Robert's book would be a good reference to go along with Alan's DVDs.

Nick Forrer
05-17-2007, 07:15 AM
I have a copy of the 3 volume book. As Terence says its a great reference but AFAIK there is no intention to make it publicly available at this time.

reneritchie
05-18-2007, 08:45 AM
To expand on the language metaphor, many people would agree that (one of) the best ways to really learn a language is through immersion: live and converse among the speakers of the language.

Just picking up a dictionary let me learn enough Chinese to recognize characters, but I could never properly translate or even understand how the language really functioned in use.

To further expand, imagine going to a language class where the teacher just randomly through words and grammar at you. Yet this is often how many MA are taught: random techniques.

One of the advantages of WCK, even if the teacher isn't good at progressive teaching models, is that the sets offer a rough guideline for the movements and compositions.

Maybe that equates to a language course on tape on online.

Put that together with real world conversation, and (for most) progress can be well made.

Put a progressive teaching curriculum together with integrated application development, and the results will likewise probably be better :)