PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun Hand Techniques and Southern Mantis Hand Techniques ?

Firehawk4
04-27-2007, 11:07 AM
I have been looking at Southern Mantis hand techniques and Wing Chun hand techniques such as Tan Sau and some others . Was there some exchange between these two systems ?

Buddha_Fist
04-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Yes. It was 1756 at 10:24 pm when Ng Mui and Wang Lang hooked up in a small pub in Fashan village. Ng Mui was a mature woman and a nun on top of that, but Wang Lang had one sake too much, and didn't care much about appearances anymore. Ng Mui was a bit embarassed about flirting with that unknown drunk in that dim lighted place, but 60 years living in that @%@$# temple without any something-something were enough - she wanted to live her life to the fullest! So they were sitting right next to each other at this long table (there were no bars yet), when Wang Lang decided to take the decisive step and moved close to plant a kiss on Ng Mui's cheek. She closed her eyes and started trembling, she knew it was coming. Then she heard her sake cup being thrown over as the clumsy drunk Wang Lang turned towards her. In a lightning fast move she shot out her Tan Sao hand and caught the falling cup. Wang Lang went "Woooooooahhh, duuuuuuuuuuude!!! That's freakin' awesome!!! Teach me that shi@$%t!" And the rest is history.

(Taken from ancient and ultra-secret manuscripts with permission of National Geographic)

htowndragon
04-27-2007, 02:24 PM
wait so...

what happened next?

did they do it?

Buddha_Fist
04-27-2007, 08:37 PM
wait so...

what happened next?

did they do it?

Do you care when it's a 60 year old woman?

TenTigers
04-27-2007, 10:02 PM
wang long was northern mantis,sam dot was southern mantis, so I guess they pulled a train on the nun, huh? Wong on top, and Sam goin south for the goodies.:eek:

anerlich
04-27-2007, 11:00 PM
I have my doubts as to the historical veracity of the story above :cool:

I think if you'd managed to stay a virgin through your teens and twenties while the hormones are raging, you wouldn't bother crossing the rubicon when you got to 60. Finding out what you'd missed out on back when you had your looks would be too depressing.

Then again I'm only 52 - how would I know?

Ultimatewingchun
04-28-2007, 05:28 AM
That was funny 5hit, Buddha Fist. :D

TenTigers
04-28-2007, 12:29 PM
http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=7212

I dig older women

anerlich
04-28-2007, 09:56 PM
iyiyi.

Link above is NSFW. Probably best not viewed on a full stomach, either. ;) :eek:

drleungjohn
04-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Wtf !!! Now I Will Be Too Afraid To Go To Sleep--

t_niehoff
04-29-2007, 09:00 AM
I have been looking at Southern Mantis hand techniques and Wing Chun hand techniques such as Tan Sau and some others . Was there some exchange between these two systems ?

I have been looking at judo techniques and Cornish wrestling techniques, and there appears to be a marked similarity between them. Was there an exchange between those two arts? Or could it be that if you take people and give them similar tasks, let's say to do jacket wrestling, they pretty much figure out the same sort of things?

Nick Forrer
04-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Actually Terence,

Billy Hotch the Legendary cornish wrestler from the idyllic market town of Truro exchanged techniques with Kano when he went to cornwall on holiday in the early 19th C. In particular he influenced the development of the little known throw pastazi no waza in Judo which translates as 'the flying pastie throw'.

True story.

t_niehoff
04-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Actually Terence,

Billy Hotch the Legendary cornish wrestler from the idyllic market town of Truro exchanged techniques with Kano when he went to cornwall on holiday in the early 19th C. In particular he influenced the development of the little known throw pastazi no waza in Judo which translates as 'the flying pastie throw'.

True story.

Cornish pasties -- good stuff!

Lugoman
05-02-2007, 06:31 AM
Silat uses a Tan Sau type technique to DEFLECT a strike and then it slides in to TRAP or pin the striker's arm and opposing shoulder to prevent the opposing arm from striking, then it becomes the leverage for a takedown.

Recently I've wondered if the Silat technique I described isn't a barrowed technique from WC, or if it's just one born of the cosmic, universal knowledge type things. :D

Buddha_Fist
05-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Silat uses a Tan Sau type technique to DEFLECT a strike and then it slides in to TRAP or pin the striker's arm and opposing shoulder to prevent the opposing arm from striking, then it becomes the leverage for a takedown.

Recently I've wondered if the Silat technique I described isn't a barrowed technique from WC, or if it's just one born of the cosmic, universal knowledge type things. :D

There are only so many movements that maximize the damage that a human can deliver in a blow (body mechanics linked to human anatomy). Likewise, there are only so many deflective type movements, blocking type movements, etc that can realistically work.

If people in completely different places study human body mechanics to come up with the most efficient strikes, kicks, blocks, etc. they will come to pretty similar conclusions. After all, they are all using the same common denominator: the human body!

That's why I think that it's a waste of time discussing this topic even further. The time is better invested by getting in the ring, and learning to apply efficient body mechanics by sparring a few rounds. Too much time wasted on the cosmic repercussions of having the pinky toe a 1/4" outward to the left while kicking with the right leg.

Lugoman
05-02-2007, 02:00 PM
That's why I think that it's a waste of time discussing this topic even further. The time is better invested by getting in the ring, and learning to apply efficient body mechanics by sparring a few rounds. Too much time wasted on the cosmic repercussions of having the pinky toe a 1/4" outward to the left while kicking with the right leg.

Yeah, no point in discussing things on a forum that was created to discuss things. That's just so much nonsense. So yeah, let's just get in the ring and duke it out.

But I've been in the ring many times, all I ever really learned was to duke it out though.

Buddha_Fist
05-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Yeah, no point in discussing things on a forum that was created to discuss things.

The worth of a topic depends on what's being discussed. Time wasters like to discuss even nonsense which won't improve their skill. These are the people that never achieve much in their lives. Lack of focus.

That's just so much nonsense. So yeah, let's just get in the ring and duke it out.

Believe it or not: You would learn things you haven't experienced before! :eek:

But I've been in the ring many times, all I ever really learned was to duke it out though.

:rolleyes:

That statement shows that you haven't.

Lugoman
05-02-2007, 06:35 PM
The worth of a topic depends on what's being discussed. Time wasters like to discuss even nonsense which won't improve their skill. These are the people that never achieve much in their lives. Lack of focus.

Believe it or not: You would learn things you haven't experienced before! :eek:

:rolleyes:

That statement shows that you haven't.

And your profile says you're 29?

PLUNK!

TenTigers
05-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Although I have caught alot of flak from "Higher up on the food chain lineage bearors,whatevers" I still maintain that,If you examine the Hakka systems, and Fukien White Crane systems-remember Wing Chun is from that area, Fukien Wing Chun Bak-Hok (Fujien Youngchun Bai-Hei) you will see distinct similarities. The similarities are not as obvious in HK style WC, but more so in the mainland styles. Even pre-Wong Fei-Hung Hung-Kuen shared thiese techniques.
Eric Ling has brought much of this to light with his recent endeavors.
VINDICATED!!!

Eric Ling's my hero :)
I say we all chip in and buy him a cape.