PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Temple Russia

GeneChing
04-30-2007, 02:30 PM
I want my own wushu palace and I want it now!!

07:12 GMT, Apr 25, 2007
Branch of Shaolin Monastery, Wushu Palace to be built in Kalmykia (http://www.interfax.com/3/264905/news.aspx)

BEIJING. April 25 (Interfax-China) - A protocol of intent to set up
a branch of the world famous Shaolin Monastery and a Wushu Palace in
Kalmykia was signed in Beijing on Wednesday, an Interfax correspondent
reported.

We plan to begin construction in 2007," Kalmyk President Kirsan
Ilyumzhinov told Russian reporters after the signing ceremony. "The
project has been supported in Russia at the highest level," he said.

The protocol was signed on the Russian side by Ilyumzhinov and
Chief Executive of the Russian-Chinese Center for Trade and Economic
Cooperation Sergei Sanakoyev and, on the Chinese side, by General
Director of the Shaolin Monastery's Wushu Palace Jiao Hongbo and head of
the Chinese Culture Ministry's Center for the Promotion of the Cultural
Market Liang Gang. A branch of the Shaolin Monastery will be built for
the Buddhists of Kalmykia and other countries, and a Wushu Palace will
be attached to it.

The decision to build a branch of the Shaolin Monastery in Kalmykia
was made after President Vladimir Putin visited the monastery in 2006,
Ilyumzhinov told an Interfax correspondent. "This event had a strong
resonance in Russia and gave us the idea of creating a Buddhist center
in Russia. Kalmykia is Europe's only Buddhist republic, which could
evolve into a European center for the world's Buddhists," he said.

Monks from the Shaolin Monastery are expected to arrive in Elista
on May 10 to select a site for construction, Ilyumzhinov said.

Not up on my Russian Geography, I had to look up Kalmykia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmykia).

Aussie SHaolin
04-30-2007, 10:58 PM
wow

Thats interesting!!! I was just wondering however that the Abbot was not mentioned regarding this venture and that Jiao Hongbo, who is in charge of the Wushu Guan was mentioned in relation to this.

I am just wondering if this is truly a 'Shaolin Temple'??

any thoughts or updated info??

GeneChing
05-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Technically speaking, it's probably better stated as a branch of the Shaolin Wushuguan. I bet guan translates into 'palace' in Russian.

herb ox
05-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Their flag is a lotus on a solid background. Oddly enough (maybe not really), their primary religions are Tibetan Buddhism and Orthodox Christian. Perhaps this was a deciding factor in choosing this state for the next Shaolin Palace?

herb ox

GeneChing
01-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Martial Arts Learning Center just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Chinese Kungfu kicks Muscovites' new year into motion (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2010-01/11/content_12787272.htm)
www.chinaview.cn 2010-01-11 06:10:15

By Lou Chen

MOSCOW, Jan. 10 (Xinhua) -- Panting, puffing but still persevering, about a score of Muscovites, dressed in black T-shirts printed with Chinese "Shaolin" characters, sweat it out on Chinese Kungfu moves for their first lesson with a Master in the New Year.

The Chinese martial arts enthusiasts met together on Sunday, the last of a ten-day New Year break, with their master Shi Yanbinin a spacious rented hall at the All-Russian Exhibition center in northern Moscow.

The Russian Shaolin Martial Arts Learning Center, founded in 1999, was the only educational and training agency designated by the famed China's Songshan Shaolin Temple. Around 1,000 students, between the ages of 5 and 70, currently study at the center.

Against a giant backdrop painted with a Shaolin temple gate, the pupils practiced stretching, backflips, kicking and wooden-stick moves. 11-year old Vasily, like his fellow peers, tried strenuously to get every move right.

Vasily has been in this class for more than one year. He comes to the center three times a week, each time for a 90-minute session. Now he confidently tells others what he thinks the martial art is about.

"Though called 'martial', it's about self-defense, not attacking others," he said. The boy, wearing a dragon-embroidered master suit, is a keen fan of kungfu. He plans to visit the Shaolin temple in China this summer. And his mother Svetlana Primakova is more than supportive.

Primokovais said his son is very much interested in China and the Chinese tradition. "We often go to museums that exhibit oriental culture," she said. "He is also starting to learn Chinese this year. Master Shi also comes helpful when Vasily learns the language."

Chinese Shaoling martial arts enthusiasts attend their class with the master Shi Yanbin at the Russian Shaolin Martial Arts Learning Center in Moscow, capital of Russia, Jan. 10, 2010. The Russian Shaolin Martial Arts Learning Center, founded in 1999, is the only educational and training agency designated here by the famed China's Songshan Shaolin Temple. Around 1,000 students, between the ages of 5 and 70, currently study at the center. (Xinhua/Lu Jinbo)

She watched and filmed his son's session with video recorder. Practicing martial arts helps from self-defense to health maintenance and finally comes as method of self-cultivation. It is also an important carrier of the Chinese culture.

Master Shi Yanbin, chief of the center, said his pupils are well-motivated and keen to learn. "I would score them high on their motivation, but as to their learning process, some are swift learners but others are not. It has to depend on their respective physical conditions. But as far as the attitudes are concerned, my pupils are mostly attentive, humble and eager to learn, and I'm happy with that," Shi said.

In Moscow, there are several martial arts schools or clubs, but Master Shi's is one of the most popular one due to its direct linkage with Shaolin.

Shi has been teaching Kungfu here for five years, and only goes back home two to three times a year. The center also develops cooperative programs with Moscow schools. The master, though strict on himself, finds room for lenience on his Russian pupils.

"The pupils differ from each other in their physical qualities," he said. "different curricula have to be designed according to their age and physical conditions, and only through this way could you bring out the best of them in the shortest time period possible."

The Shaolin kungfu is quite popular in Russia. At the 2009 International Military Band Festival, the Songshan Shaolin Temple martial monks came at special invitation to perform hand-to-hand wrestling, stick work, blade and whip techniques.

In 2006, then-Russian President Vladimir Putin made a special visit to the Songshan Shaolin Temple during his China visit.

There's more on the this on the Kung Fu Panda thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=983111#post983111). Seriously. :rolleyes:

sha0lin1
01-13-2010, 05:57 AM
I can see that. When we were there, there were quite a few Russians there training also. We got the impression that Shaolin was very popular in Russia and quite a few Russians train there.

GeneChing
05-13-2013, 03:22 PM
13 May 2013, 15:21
Patriarch Kirill invited to Shaolin (http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=10444)

Beijing, May 13, Interfax - Abbot of the Shaolin Temple Shi Yongxin says he hopes Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia will visit the Shaolin Temple and Martial Arts Academy some day.

"Your Holiness, dear colleagues and friends, I hope that you will come to us more often, will visit Chinese temples, in particular the Shaolin Temple," Yongxin said at a meeting with the Russian church delegation headed by the patriarch in Beijing on Monday.

Yongxin said that Russian President Vladimir Putin visited the Shaolin Temple in 2006.

Buddhists have close relations with the Russian Buddhist community and Yongxin himself has been to Russia three times and visited Orthodox monasteries, the Shaolin Temple abbot said.

"The Russian Orthodox Church is currently being reinforced. We have a lot to learn from you in this aspect. I will come to Russia once again in late August - early September and I hope I will have a meeting with you, Your Holiness," Yongxin said.

A representative of the Chinese Islamic community said that Islam has existed for over 1,300 years in China and the country has 23 million Muslims, 75% of whom live in western provinces, 35,000 mosques and around 600,000 imams.

At the same time, a representative of the Catholic Church said that China has 6 million Catholics, and 100,000 Chinese citizens are converted to Catholicism per year. A total of 97 eparchies, 66 bishops, 3,100 priests and 6,300 churches operate in China.

Head of the Protestant Association in Beijing, Go Chui, said that in 1949, when China was founded, the country had only 7,000 Protestants and now it has around 100,000 believers. The Chinese capital has 16 Protestant churches, 120 pastors, one ecclesiastical academy and one retirement home. Beijing protestants spend millions of yean on charity.

China officially recognizes five religions - Buddhism, Taoism, Catholicism and Protestantism. The state closely controls the religious sphere and according to the existing laws, Chinese religious organizations have to be entirely independent from foreign religious organizations. This is really inconsequential unless he goes. We've invited the POTUS to our tournament (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64253). So what? He's never come.

GeneChing
09-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Patriarch Kirill Heaps Praise on Shaolin Monks (http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/patriarch-kirill-heaps-praise-on-shaolin-monks/485578.html)
05 September 2013 | Issue 5207
The Moscow Times

http://static.themoscowtimes.com/upload/iblock/d78/tabakov_medvedev_adress_putin_kirill_gryzlov7241.j pg
Igor Tabakov / MT
Taking a cue from the Shaolin tradition, the Russian patriarch is advocating austerity and restraint in how people should conduct their lives.
The head of the Russian Orthodox Church has praised the Shaolin monks' way of life and advised people to take a step back from the comforts of the 21st century.

Referring to the Shaolin Temple's tradition of Chinese martial arts, Patriarch Kirill said that victory in conflict comes to those have a strong spirit, and not to those with the best weapons or the most money.

"The wonderful martial skills that were born inside your monastery are a very good illustration that human strength depends on the strength of the human spirit," the patriarch said at a meeting in Moscow with Shi Yongxin, abbot of the Shaolin Temple in Henan, China, Interfax reported Thursday.

Modern civilization idolizes the idea of personal comfort, whereas staying in comfort makes a human being weaker, he said, adding that more attention should be "oriented toward spiritual training."

Shi Yongxin is in Moscow as head of the delegation of Shaolin monks that will take part in the Spasskaya Bashnya military music festival that runs until Sept. 8 on Red Square.

Cool hat. Very cool hat. :)

David Jamieson
09-06-2013, 06:52 AM
Cool hat. Very cool hat. :)

Cherubim and Seraphim are cool. "The burning ones".

also:
Modern civilization idolizes the idea of personal comfort, whereas staying in comfort makes a human being weaker, he said, adding that more attention should be "oriented toward spiritual training."

Brings to mind the statement of Herodotus: "In soft regions, soft men are"

GeneChing
09-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Shaolin kung fu performance hits Red Square
Updated: 2013-09-03 10:06
( chinadaily.com.cn)

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/life/images/attachement/jpg/site1/20130903/00221910da6c138f80b808.jpg

Monks from the Shaolin Temple of China perform at the International Military Music Festival "Spasskaya Tower" at Moscow's Red Square, Russia, September 1, 2013. The festival ends on September 8. [Photo/CFP]

This is a random related photo, which isn't very good. I'm more intrigued to learn that there is an International Military Music Festival.

Cheng oi
09-29-2013, 06:54 AM
I want my own wushu palace and I want it now!!.

Thix1 Ukraine (http://wushu.pp.ua/)

Thix 1 (http://www.wushu.com.ru/)

Buddha world in Russia (http://www.tamqui.com/buddhaworld/%D0%A4%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%BE_%D0%A2%D0%B0%D0%BC_%D0%9A %D1%83%D0%B8)