PDA

View Full Version : Dueling

Oso
05-01-2007, 06:19 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/01/dueling.death.ap/index.html

I say, go for it. Dueling should be legal and with the proper seconds and an arbitrator a satisfactory way to handle disputes. Naturally, both parties of the first need to agree to the duel, otherwise it is murder.

discuss...

Shadow Skill
05-01-2007, 06:35 PM
A slap is heard accros the room. The angry gentalman returns the slap. " That does it Sir this means war" both parties say in unison " I challenge you to a deul":)

Mega-Foot
05-01-2007, 07:10 PM
I've actually looked into passing a law in favor of gentlemanly duels. Governor Schwartzenneger lobbied to have it overturned in the legislature, on several grounds. First, said he, we have too many people dying in gang warfare, so we don't have any more time to go about picking up dead bodies. Second, nobody manly enough to engage a duel wears gloves anymore, so there's nothing to throw down, unless you strip off your shirt. But if you're shirtless, all you can do is strip off your pants. And since California is one big beach, I'm sure you can imagine the logistical problems of stripping off a bathing suit on a public beach, then whipping someone with it.

After considering it for awhile, I was hesitant to agree, but agreed nonetheless.

Oso
05-01-2007, 07:12 PM
LMAO...

but...

still...

STFU...

:D

:)

PangQuan
05-01-2007, 07:14 PM
im all for it

Shaolinlueb
05-01-2007, 07:30 PM
remember when homer simpson had the glove and was like, out of my way i challenge you to a duel. and some guy accepted it. that was funny.

cjurakpt
05-01-2007, 07:48 PM
yes, but ONLY if it is done with swords, or at most, flintlock pistols, like in the good old days

great cinematograpic examples of duels like they oughta be:

Ridley Scott's "The Duelists" (based on Conrad's "The Duel") - KeithCaradine & Harvey Keitel are officers in Napolean's army who engage in a series of duels over a 20 year period as they rise simultaneously through the ranks; awesome flick, especially for the 1970's; Scott's debut film;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8nGgvepXCk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmejpbzq510&mode=related&search=

Stanley Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon" (after the novel by Thackery) - Ryan O'Neal as the country hopping opportunist, also during the time of Napoleonic Wars, who starts and ends life as a poor Irish tenant, but who almost achieves the status of an English Lord - several excellent, very realistic duels here; a bit of trivia: the entire movie was filmed in natural light (sun, moon, candles) with a lens Kubrick had specifically developed at NASA - it's amazing, it looks like the movie was made yesterday, not 30+ years ago

"El Maestro D'Escrima" - a Spanish flick I happened upon some years ago, made sometime in late 80's or early 90's, no idea who's in it, but it's about this aging Spanish fencing master who takes on a young, beautiful woman student, teaches her his ultimate "secret" move that no one can defend against, and she uses it to kill another of the master's students who she had some vendetta against; he finds out it was her, and has to fight her to the death; the fencing scenes are about the best I've ever seen - if ANYONE knows of this movie and how to get it on DVD, my sword is yours!

and, of course...

Rob Reiner - "Princess Bride" - The Man in Black vs. Inigo Montoya: 'nuff said

Ben Gash
05-01-2007, 07:55 PM
"Why are you smiling?"
"Because I know something you don't know."
"What's that?"
"I'm not really left handed!"
(2 minutes of intense duelling later)
"Why are YOU smiling"
"Because I'm also not left handed!"
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Man I love that film :cool:

Oso
05-01-2007, 07:55 PM
good points cj and thanks for the movie suggestions.

I think that if both parties agree then the weapon should be open...

like, if I wanted to duel with rhinocerous...or would that be rhinoceri?...

'see 'ere now, whoever's rhinocerous can trample the other to death wins'

or, short stick vs. short stick while mounted on giraffes or ostriches...

PangQuan
05-01-2007, 07:58 PM
yes, but ONLY if it is done with swords, or at most, flintlock pistols, like in the good old days

good point.

yet i would say, your choice of melee weapon, or unarmed. rope/chain weapons possibly included. no armor or shields

cjurakpt
05-01-2007, 08:01 PM
"You are using Bonetti's defense against me, eh?"

"I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain."

"Naturally, you must expect me to attack with Capo Ferro."

"Naturally, but I find that Thibault cancels Capo Ferro, don't you?"

"Unless the enemy has studied his Agrippa, which I have!"

Me: geek, guilty as charged...

cjurakpt
05-01-2007, 08:02 PM
good points cj and thanks for the movie suggestions.

I think that if both parties agree then the weapon should be open...

like, if I wanted to duel with rhinocerous...or would that be rhinoceri?...

'see 'ere now, whoever's rhinocerous can trample the other to death wins'

or, short stick vs. short stick while mounted on giraffes or ostriches...

what about pointed sticks?

Ben Gash
05-01-2007, 08:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znrpcErFw4k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3W5GDkgf2w

Oso
05-01-2007, 08:06 PM
what about pointed sticks?

Shut Up!!!

Oso
05-01-2007, 08:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJk-bbEis-A&mode=related&search=

the best reason to have kids is so you can have them do stupid stuff and film it.

cjurakpt
05-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Shut Up!!!

oh, bless you, sir...

probably one of the funniest things ever done

Judge Pen
05-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Consentual homicide (which a death in a duel would qualify) would still be "murder". All a consent form would do is, arguably, provide you a defense in the civil lawsuit that your opponents estate would bring. The state could still prosecute you for murder even if the other guy begged for death. At least at common law; the element of consent does nothing to mitigate the mens rea behind the action.

Of course I'm missing the point.

Oso
05-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Consentual homicide (which a death in a duel would qualify) would still be "murder". All a consent form would do is, arguably, provide you a defense in the civil lawsuit that your opponents estate would bring. The state could still prosecute you for murder even if the other guy begged for death. At least at common law; the element of consent does nothing to mitigate the mens rea behind the action.

Of course I'm missing the point.

Shut Up!!!

Oso
05-01-2007, 08:24 PM
oh, bless you, sir...

probably one of the funniest things ever done

:)

i am now content and ALL is right with the world.

Judge Pen
05-02-2007, 05:00 AM
Shut Up!!!

What's with the anger issues? Wanna duel?

PangQuan
05-02-2007, 10:21 AM

lmfao!!!!!

Becca
05-02-2007, 10:58 AM
What about death by dueling banjos? That's about enough to kill... If the players have no skill.

Oso
05-02-2007, 02:05 PM

we never did have that duel on the garbage barge...besides, your spear is leaning against the wall behind me :D

Oso
05-02-2007, 02:06 PM
What about death by dueling banjos? That's about enough to kill... If the players have no skill.

dueling mandolins is worse.

Becca
05-02-2007, 02:25 PM
dueling mandolins is worse.

Put you in a hurst.:)

Oso
05-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Heavens, no! Quick, call a nurse!

Shaolinlueb
05-02-2007, 06:25 PM
cant you guys duel in guitar hero's 2?

Oso
05-02-2007, 06:28 PM
cant you guys duel in guitar hero's 2?

what's that?

Mega-Foot
05-02-2007, 06:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJk-bbEis-A&mode=related&search=

the best reason to have kids is so you can have them do stupid stuff and film it.

I have always preferred this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMOmKHlVdIg

cjurakpt
05-02-2007, 07:01 PM
I have always preferred this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMOmKHlVdIg

how generous of you to reveal some of your style's higher level training...

I assume that this was used to attack fortifications from a low line vantage position...

Mega-Foot
05-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Actually, it is sensitivity training.

Judge Pen
05-03-2007, 04:04 AM
we never did have that duel on the garbage barge...besides, your spear is leaning against the wall behind me :D

I've made more. Besides, I now have the all powerful ash staff.

Oso
05-03-2007, 05:09 AM
I've made more. Besides, I now have the all powerful ash staff.

yes, but, super-villain that I am, built a self-destruct in to the staff I gave you knowing this day would still yet arrive.

{maniacal laughter here}

Becca
05-03-2007, 06:20 AM
what's that?
it's a game. My kids love it, but I have no idea how to play it. Very noisy, though.

Judge Pen
05-04-2007, 07:15 AM
yes, but, super-villain that I am, built a self-destruct in to the staff I gave you knowing this day would still yet arrive.

{maniacal laughter here}

Oh I found that eons ago!

Oso
05-04-2007, 12:16 PM
nooo you didn't...that was just the decoy...

Judge Pen
05-05-2007, 12:08 PM
I just want you to think that all I found was the decoy. That way when we duel you will be surprised when the device doesn't go off when you want it to.