PDA

View Full Version : Which area is the best?

Jingwu Man
05-01-2007, 10:35 PM
I have a lead on a job in China to teach English, now the only thing is to choose a location.Which would be the best for martial arts instruction?

Yantai, Shandong
Qingdao, Shandong
Xiamen, Fujian

Does anybody know about these places? The styles offered? The schools?
Note: I do Northern styles.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Flying-Monkey
05-01-2007, 11:31 PM
Shouldn't you be worried about doing your job well and such?

Jingwu Man
05-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Hmmmm......
Nah.:D
I already teach ESL here, so I'm hoping it is easily transferable to China, plus it will be High school students, so not too much discipline.
I know it will be hard work, but I also want to take the time and find someone to train under.

Flying-Monkey
05-01-2007, 11:48 PM
I'm just saying I know people want to go to China and Japan for the sole reason of teaching but can't because the spot was taken. I guess I just met too many people out here who came for the girls or the anime and can't teach worth a lesson from mega-foot.

Jingwu Man
05-02-2007, 12:27 AM
Point well taken.
I certainly hope I'm up to the job. I truly enjoy teaching and have a deep interest in Chinese culture. Again, words are easy, but actions speak louder than words.

I'm just sorta interested in knowing what kind of martial arts I might see, is all.
I know Yantai has good mantis, but that's all I know.

golden arhat
05-02-2007, 01:38 AM
shan dong is the birth place of mantis

fujian i'm informed has good white crane and hung gar
both should have good wushu instruction

Wong Ying Home
05-02-2007, 02:01 AM
I would second Shandong as a good area, not only for mantis but many other good solid traditional styles of Northern Chinese arts.

I would go to Shandong fwiw :)

Jingwu Man
05-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks.

What are the main styles of Shandong?

golden arhat
05-03-2007, 01:16 AM
mantis mantis and more mantis

D-FENS
05-03-2007, 01:52 AM
Try and find some Shandong Black Tiger while you're there.

Wong Ying Home
05-03-2007, 06:03 AM
Mantis, Black Tiger, Faan Tzi Boxing, plus Hsing Yi, BaGua etc...too many to list really

Jingwu Man
05-03-2007, 09:19 AM
OOoohh! Fanzi! Sweet! Gotta learn more of that.
Here's my teacher doing fanzi. I hope i can have power like him eventually :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7sQEmU-bio

Black tiger would be neat, too.
Shandong seems like the place to be.
Thanks!

GeneChing
05-03-2007, 09:44 AM
There's a lot of good stuff there. The traditional Liangshan styles are very interesting. I suggest you take a look at our Outlaws of the Marsh special (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=234), which focused on a lot of the regional styles of that area. Yantai is very reputed for mantis. Qingdao is reputed for beer (we know it as Tsingdao). They border each other. And there's nothing like Shandong onion pancakes. So tasty! I'm licking my lips just thinking about them.

I've never been to Xiamen personally, but I have heard there are some good resources there too.