PDA

View Full Version : 8 Immortals

Great Equalizer
05-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Can anyone tell me about these Drunkard 8 Immortals? I mean is it a practicle art, or just one of those "competing, arts now? I know it looks really cool, but can it acctually work in a :street: situation? Any info would be great, I just don't want to waist my time you know. :cool:

Jingwu Man
05-02-2007, 09:34 PM
8 Drunken Immortals (Zuibaxian) is a great style to learn, provided you are limber and able to do acrobatic movements. I've learned a few forms from this style, and can only really do the first one with any amount of skill.
I recommend some Ditang to get used to falling.
Yes, it is a good style for self-defense, but it doesn't work like in the movies. It's straight ot the point and quite vicious, with lots of breaks, takedowns, and sealing (breath,vein) movements.
It all depends on the teacher you learn form though, because the full style with all the martial aspects can be hard to find, and "drunken" forms are popular.
If you have a good teacher, go for it!

Great Equalizer
05-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Do you know any in the Los Angeles/Orange County area ?

jigahus
05-04-2007, 12:31 PM
http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46137

Search more for tung's post.

And I do not know of any 8 Immortal style teacher in LA.

BoulderDawg
05-04-2007, 12:54 PM
HA! I just recently seen Drunken Master!:D

What a great movie! It actually shows the viewing audience each of the 8 styles.

But at it's heart it's still a comedy. I like the 5 hours of Horse Stance and how he's able to do it!:p

RonH
05-04-2007, 02:32 PM
I've wanted to learn drunken fighting for some time, but the best I can find where I live is youtube and books. It royally sucks. The only other thing I could do is try to find a teacher to have some correspodence with, but I'm so not for believing in long distance examinations of training. And, even if I did have emails back and forth with them, I know it would never be as good as with a teacher face-to-face, which royally sucks.

unkokusai
05-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Only one of the eight was a drunk!