PDA

View Full Version : Was Confuscious good at fighting

SPJ
05-03-2007, 03:23 AM
some said yes. Kong Fu Zi's father was a good fighter with a lot of strength.

Confuscious must have known how to fight and defend himself so that he was pretty safe and unharmed while wandering around 6 kingdoms.

--

the scholars in the academia in China said not so.

the son of the poet Li Bai may not be a good poet.

--

what do you think?

:D

bodhitree
05-03-2007, 04:48 AM
who the f**k knows? that's not an option on this poll.

SanHeChuan
05-03-2007, 07:06 AM
Where is the "He was a Little Beotch" option?

xcakid
05-03-2007, 07:16 AM
Not sure but I do know that Confuscious says:

He who goes thru turnstile with hard on is going to Bangkok.
He who goes to sleep with itchy butt wakes up with stinking fingers.

That guys is an edujumacated dude, I tell ya what.

bodhitree
05-03-2007, 07:30 AM
The real question is could Plato fight, or st. augustine?

SPJ
05-03-2007, 07:46 AM
ya. the main thing is that Kong Fu Zi was thought to be among the 4 olds to be destroyed during cultural revolution.

His status is now restored.

there are more opening discussion on China's scholars in the university and national TV.

this is one heated debate and blogs in China.

--

etc etc.

SPJ
05-03-2007, 07:58 AM
http://www.chinanews.cn/news/2005/2007-02-05/33133.html

a family tree.

PangQuan
05-03-2007, 08:45 AM
it is said that confucius was known to carry a straight sword with him.

either in the analects of confucius or the book of mencius, i cannot remember which i read that in.

SPJ
05-03-2007, 09:27 PM
yes. he also said that

" there is no dispute/contest among gentlemen, if has to, then resolve the dispute with shooting the arrow with a bow."

then he must have known the archery (on horseback)?!

:eek: :confused: :) :cool: :D

SPJ
05-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Lun Yu in 23 languages;

http://www.confucius.org/main01.htm

:eek:

tug
05-03-2007, 09:41 PM
He was a scholar, not a fighter.

Whether he knew how to fight or not will probably never be known as his legacy is of thought, not action.

No?

D-FENS
05-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Confucius would tap out Lao Tzu in 10 seconds flat. And the Buddha would pwn Confucius with his mad archery skillz. But Mohammed would kill them all.

golden arhat
05-04-2007, 06:25 AM
The real question is could Plato fight, or st. augustine?

plato was a well respected wrestler in his day

in fact the name plato was given to him by his teacher and i think it meant something like broad shouldered

as for confucious
he founded his own method of wushu

so i would asume he would have some skills

but then you do hear stories about how such and such a grand master from such and such a style killed so many people at once with one blow etc etc

so weither he founded his own style or not proves nothing in regards to his fighting skill

gfx
05-08-2007, 02:09 AM
He was definitely good at the military arts of the time.
Confucius advocated the education of a gentry ( junzi ) through the study of six arts ( Liu Yi ): Mannerisms/Rituals ( Li ), Music, Archery, Chariot, Literature, and Numerics.

Amongst the six arts, two are martial skills. This certainly reflects the importance Confucius placed on martial studies, as well as their importance in the society at the time.

Confucius is known for his skill in charioteering and archery. Note that during the Spring Autumn period, horses are not used in warfare yet. In war, the two most important weapons were archery and chariots. Infantry men were equipped with Ge, Ji or spears, and swords were short, and only used as last resort.

There is no clear document that says Confucius is a skilled swordsman, but we can deduce from the period that he certainly would be not untrained. The educated of the period ( Shi ) were expected to carry swords, and officials in a kingdom were expected to lead the army to battle in warfare.

In essence, being able to lead armies in battle and being trained with swords and fighting was not considered very special in those times. Confucius was a man of many skills, but he was most revered and remembered with his teachings of philosophy. Just as Da Vinci was also an excellent inventor and scientist, but people remember him mostly for his paintings.

People tend to regard Confucius as a weak man like many of the later Confucian scholars. But that's actually false, and the weakling image was caused by the neo-confucians of Song dynasty.

Speaking of Li Bai, he was actually a very skilled swordsman and studied under the sword saint Pei Min ( 裴旻 )