PDA

View Full Version : Can we say beyond good luck??

Black Jack II
05-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Talk about luck or a miracle.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/58190.html

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-03-2007, 10:19 AM
I don't buy it, unless she was shot with a 22...even then, I say broken finger at least.

a ring is too small, and light compared to the bullet moving at high speed.

Black Jack II
05-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Why would they make it up??

It's just math man, a insane small percentage but still existing, odder crap than that has been recorded.

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Think about it, a soft gold ring is going to deflect a heavier lead bullet traveling at a high rate of speed?

I don't buy it. If anything, it would just push the ring through as it took her finger off.

brothernumber9
05-03-2007, 10:41 AM
It was likely just a glance against the ring. The perp was a **** poor shot, and given that he was about to shoot an obvious pregnant woman, either consciously or sub-consciously did not really intend to shoot and kill her. Otherwise, I agree with RD. There is little reason to beleive that a gold ring of ANY hardness would logically deflect a bullet without some collateral damage occurring. (sp?).

PangQuan
05-03-2007, 10:58 AM
well, the article does say wedding band.

doesnt exactly say gold, though we would assume thats what the ring was made of.

maybe shes super poor and wears a bearing casing? maybe shes punk rock :D

steel baby steel.

otherwise if not a band i would suggest diamond...but ill stick with punk rock

Sang Feng Fan
05-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Think about it, a soft gold ring is going to deflect a heavier lead bullet traveling at a high rate of speed?

I don't buy it. If anything, it would just push the ring through as it took her finger off.

Bullets ricochet off of water.

PangQuan
05-03-2007, 11:01 AM

touche'

given the angle, bullets can deflect off of many things.

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-03-2007, 11:13 AM

Reply]
A body of water has FAR greater mass than a bullet. Use a smaller body of water, like an 8 OZ glass and lets see it ricohet then.

Even with a full body of water, like a swimming pool, you have to hit it on a pretty good angle to make it bounce. It's like skipping rocks.

If the bullet grazed her finger and she was barely harmed with the ring on, she would have been barely harmed without it too. A ring just does not have enough mass to make any difference here,

PangQuan
05-03-2007, 11:16 AM

Reply]
A body of water has FAR greater mass than a bullet. Use a smaller body of water, like an 8 OZ glass and lets see it ricohet then.

Even with a full body of water, like a swimming pool, you have to hit it on a pretty good angle to make it bounce. It's like skipping rocks.

If the bullet grazed her finger and she was barely harmed with the ring on, she would have been barely harmed without it too. A ring just does not have enough mass to make any difference here,

i think this is more the case.

it was a grazing, it just probably happened to graze the ring. no real deflection other than maybe saving her finger some damage.

it did say she was grazed and injured by a second bullet.

i would still like to stand my ground on the punk rock issue though!

Black Jack II
05-03-2007, 11:36 AM

Beat me to it.

I have a fair understanding of basic ballistics but ballistics is not really the case here. It's just about the very odd stroke of calculation that allowed something like this to happen.

Bullets bounce off many things, its far fetched to catch that roll of the dice but its not in the realm of one hundred percent unbelievable.

RonH
05-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Dudes, she had a weak electromagnetic force field around her. It was weak, but enough to keep from making much damage. :p

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Maybe the Ring Amplified her Qi Somehow?

Water Dragon
05-03-2007, 03:20 PM
It happens. There was a story about 6 months back where a lady got shot, and the bullet hit the underwire in her bra and got deflected.

Becca
05-04-2007, 10:31 AM

Reply]

I don't recall the artical saying her hand wan't harmed, only that the bullet riccoched off her ring, saving her life. I bet they had to cut the ring off, but that happens to alot of pregnant women anyway. Gotta love water retention. :D