PDA

View Full Version : The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

GeneChing
05-03-2007, 12:12 PM
First Jet and now Michelle?

Yeoh and Li in the Mummy 3? (http://www.filmstalker.co.uk/archives/2007/02/yeoh_and_li_in_the_mummy_3.html)

We already heard the rumour that Jet Li was to appear in The Mummy 3, well now the rumour expands and that Li will play the lead role as the Mummy and that Michelle Yeoh will also join the film.

Now that works as we have always heard from the start of the Mummy 3 rumours that the script was moving locations to China, so the appearance of leading Asian actors would make perfect sense, and Li can play a mean baddie.

Apparently the rumour comes from someone who attended a screening of Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story at a University in the US, apparently Rob Cohen was there and talked a little about the Mummy film. IGN caught the scooper and I caught the story through Rope of Silicon:

"...he [Cohen] confirmed that Jet Li will play the Mummy in The Mummy 3, which he is directing. He also said that the film will take place in China and Michelle Yeoh will also be in the film. The biggest bombshell was that the film's protagonist will not be Brendan Fraser, but rather his character's son, now 22 years-old. Also, Jet Li will be the head Mummy in a group of Mummies that were the Teracotta army."

IGN contacted Yeoh's agency and they said that she has not signed for the film, so take all this with the usual bucket of salt. It seems that the screening did take place and that Cohen was there for a Q&A, so perhaps this is right after all.

Back in June last year we heard that Alex was the lead, and in March last year the idea that the story had moved to China was confirmed.

So although it's rumour and we're still waiting confirmations, it seems like it is headed in the right direction. Chinese Mummy Li after all.

Ford to star in third 'Mummy' (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117964042.html?categoryid=13&cs=1)
Shooting will begin in Montreal July 27
By MICHAEL FLEMING

U is mulling possibilities for its 'Mummy' future as Brendan Fraser returns but Rachel Weitz exited.

Universal Pictures and director Rob Cohen have set Luke Ford to star in the third installment of "The Mummy," in a move that potentially sets the franchise up for future films.

The 26-year-old Australian actor was cast with the expectation that he will eventually carry the franchise.

"We may spin off into a complete father-son direction with Brendan (Fraser, who played the adventurer who battled the monster in the first two installments), but by getting an actor who is in his 20s and not a teenager, we can also put the future on his shoulders," Cohen told Daily Variety. "He tested against four much more established actors, and he was magic when he read with Brendan."

As sequel star salaries grow prohibitively expensive, several franchises are bringing in new blood. Shia LaBeouf is playing the son of Indiana Jones in the fourth installment of that franchise, and Fox just hired David Goyer to develop the Sheldon Turner-scripted "Magneto," an "X-Men" spinoff to be driven by two young leads that will play Magneto and Professor Xavier.

In "The Mummy" sequel, Ford will play Alex O'Connell, the 20ish son of adventurer Rick O'Connell (Fraser), who journeys into the forbidden tombs of China and into the Himalayas, where they run into a new shape-shifting mummy, a former Chinese emperor who was cursed by a female wizard.

Jet Li plays the mummy, Michelle Yeoh the wizard. The studio has tested six actresses to replace Rachel Weisz in the role of Evelyn Carnahan O'Connell after she declined to reprise.

Script was written by "Smallville" creators Miles Millar and Alfred Gough; Sean Daniel, Jim Jacks, Stephen Sommers and Bob Ducsay are producing.

Shooting will begin in Montreal on July 27, and then move to China. Pic will open in July 2008, just before the Olympics begin in Beijing.

The first two "Mummy" films grossed $841 million worldwide and spawned spinoff "The Scorpion King."

Ford just finished starring with Toni Collette in the Elissa Down-directed "The Black Balloon," and has appeared in "Kokoda" and "Junction Boys."

Ford's repped by WMA and Australia-based Matt Andrews of Marquee.

jethro
05-03-2007, 12:57 PM
I am not too interested in this, but I read in there Jet Li plays the mummy, Yeoh plays the wizard. Doesn't sound too good.

5Animals1Path
05-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Couldn't possibly be worse then Scorpion King.

The Xia
05-03-2007, 10:39 PM
I think it could work.
Although, this will probably the first time in a movie that a mummy does wushu. lol.
I can think of other actors that would be perfect for the role of a Chinese mummy. James Hong comes to mind.

Shaolinlueb
05-03-2007, 10:44 PM
dude kelly whats her name saved the scorpian king with her sexy hot looks and body. ill go see it. i enjoyed the first 2.

mickey
05-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Greetings,

Mummy III, as well as the move to film this in China, appears to be inspired by the events documented in the following thread. If only they would stay true to the facts.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40199&highlight=warrior+brought+life

mickey

xcakid
05-04-2007, 11:09 AM
dude kelly whats her name saved the scorpian king with her sexy hot looks and body. ill go see it. i enjoyed the first 2.

That's Ms Hottie Kelly Hu.

I'd check this out. Always liked the Mummy movies. I own both of them and Scorpion king too. :D They always have good looking chicks in them.

mickey
05-05-2007, 07:49 AM
Greetings,

Guess what?

They decided to move the movie to China one month after my thread came out. Those Hollywood guys are lurking here.

mickey

TaichiMantis
05-09-2007, 07:33 AM
My family loves the Mummy series and I love anything with Michelle Yeoh and Jet Li so it looks like a good family film for us!:p

Also, Interesting to note is that Michelle almost got to work with Brendan Fraser in a previous movie, "The Children of Huang Shi", except that Brendan was replaced by Jonathan Rhys Meyers. "The Children of Huang Shi" is due to be released for Christmas. Should be interesting to see how "politics" (http://www.michelleyeoh.info/Movie/childrenofhuangshi.html#facts) influences the telling of this true story....:rolleyes:

GeneChing
05-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Forget Nostradamus. All the prophecies will be fulfilled. And you'll find those prophecies right here on KFM.

I still haven't seen Mummy II. Should I? I enjoyed Mummy I. And Kelly, I like Kelly. The Rock was really good in the Rundown.

Shaolinlueb
05-09-2007, 11:51 AM
i think we all like kelly. see the mummy 2 it was fun.

5Animals1Path
05-09-2007, 06:20 PM
I still haven't seen Mummy II. Should I?

Yeah. All-in-all, it's a good movie. There's some purposefull cheese, good action, and just enough romance for this to be modern pulp. That, and the Rock CG scorpion is at once deadly and hilarious.

mickey
05-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Greetings Gene,

Mummy II was alright. I did not enjoy the fight scene with the sais (gosh, was that Mummy II?). They should have used the weapons that existed at the time. Now, if sai existed in Egypt, I stand corrected.

Mummy III may very well destroy the Mummy franchise. It would be more interesting if they based the story around the pyramids that exist in China (China has been too hush hush about their pyramids) and not try to cover up the Terra Cotta Warrior incident with a movie. The whole world now knows and will not buy into this.

mickey

GeneChing
10-04-2007, 04:11 PM
...but here's a blog from Rob Cohen about Jet on the set

THE JET HAS LANDED (http://www.robcohenthemummy.com/2007/10/the_jet_has_landed_1.php)
10. 2.07 @ 11:47

Jet Li finally has joined us in Montreal and the production has palpably kicked up into a higher gear. As I shoot our "trekking through the Himalayas" sequence where our heroes are searching for Shangri-la, I am madly refining the Emperor/Rick O'Connell fight with stunt co-ordinators Ku Huen Chzu (known to everyone as Dede) and Mark Southworth. It's a real contrast in styles, Brendan's and Jet's, highly balletic, powerful Wushu vs. the brutal directness of Krav Maga plus magic and shape-shifting creatures leading to the the climax aided by Luke Ford and the clash of armies overhead. I have seven days to shoot it so this will be my last entry until China. We wrap here next Thursday; then I'm off to L.A. for less than twenty-four (obstetrician and VFX meetings with D.D. and R&H) then straight to Beijing and Tian Mo, the desert three hours north of the capitol.

I'm stoked by what's ahead, editing with Joel Negron and Kelly Matsumoto as I go and encouraged by the early shape of things are taking. We are putting the pipelines in place to create the some 700 visual effects shots: the Terracotta Army, the Yeti and much, much more (I have to leave some surprises.)

Brendan, Jet, Jet's right-hand men Jason and Vincent, and I had a warm, collegiate dinner last Saturday night and, for two guys who have to kick the **** out of each other, there was a true camaraderie. Jet spoke to us a lot about his ONE FOUNDATION (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36920) (link listed on the blog) and the true greatness of him as a human being came through. When this man talks about how we can help those that need it, how we can take our resources and invest them in the poor, to "share the love" as he said over and over, you really feel the depth of his soul. I'm supporting his foundation now because his cause is all of ours: trying to do whatever we can to make this a better educated and healthier world. I hope you will check out the One Foundation and find a way to join his great effort.

My wife Barbara and I thank all of you who took the time to send us good wishes on our new pregnancy. It has made me feel very close to all of you and to re-double my efforts to make "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" a spectacular entertainment which will put a new mojo spin on a set of characters and a state of mind we've enjoyed in the first two. I've decided to put a few new photos on the site to give you a closer look at the stars. They all have been shining with equal light.

Bye, for now....

Rob

Silent Assassin
10-23-2007, 09:47 AM
First look at Jet Li in The Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=38604

sanjuro_ronin
10-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Nice, it seems the Mr.Li is showing Mr.Frazer his shoe size !

Lucas
10-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Intrested to see how Frazer's character defeats li's

sanjuro_ronin
10-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Intrested to see how Frazer's character defeats li's

Maria Bello is in it, remember her scene from History of violence?

Need I say more ??:D

Shaolinlueb
10-24-2007, 11:20 AM

oh i remember them ;) there was more then 1.

I can't get the picture to load.

GeneChing
11-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Nice pics of Jet and Michelle

Chinese Cast Dominate "The Mummy 3" (http://english.cri.cn/3086/2007/11/09/902@292701.htm)
2007-11-09 12:06:48 CRIENGLISH.com

Ninety percent of the crew in "The Mummy 3" are Chinese, Rob Cohen, director of the movie said at a press release in Shanghai on Thursday.

This is the first time that his cast is meeting the media since they started shooting in July. Leading roles including Chinese action star Jet Li, Michelle Yeoh and Australian actor Luke Ford are all present at the meeting.

A friend of Jet Li, Rob Cohen, applauded Li's devotion in acting and said Chinese actors are becoming more and more international.

"We have a total of 2,200 people working here and only 180 are non-Chinese. All my Chinese staff has high professional ethics," Rob Cohen told reporters.

"I have done a lot of background information study on China and I think it is a great country," he noted.

With part of its settings in Xian in northwest China's Shaanxi province, "The Mummy 3" has draw great public attention as it not only involves renowned Chinese actors but also the Chinese culture.

xcakid
11-09-2007, 12:33 PM

BUSH!!!

Its a president and a meal. :D

sanjuro_ronin
11-09-2007, 12:59 PM
BUSH!!!

Its a president and a meal. :D

Very true.

mickey
11-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Greetings,

I have to admit Maria Bello is definitely hot. The first time I saw her was in The History of Violence. Now, what was that movie about? Oh yeah, it was about going down south to Virginia.

mickey

GeneChing
11-27-2007, 10:24 AM
OK, bad pun for the title, but an irresistible one. Go to the site for pix.

Latest "Mummy" About to Come (http://english.cri.cn/3086/2007/11/27/1261@298644.htm)
2007-11-27 12:00:41

Shooting of the latest installment of Universal Pictures' "The Mummy" has wrapped up in Shanghai. The film will have its world premiere next summer in Beijing, according to director Rob Cohen.

Cohen on Monday led his film cast members to meet the media in Shanghai, where last-stage filming for "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" has just completed.

Brendan Fraser, Maria Bello, John Hannah and Isabella Leong came directly to the wrap party from the scenes still with costumes and make-up.

The two Chinese leading cast members, Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh, were absent. Director Cohen explained they have left the entourage after completing their parts.

Cohen also announced that a global premiere is scheduled for July 24, 2008 in Beijing. The date is about one week ahead of the film's US release.

A five-minute trailer of the film debuted at the ceremony. Producers noted it was roughly made to give the media an idea of the film. More post-production work will start after they go back to the States later this month.

Unlike the previous two chapters, "The Mummy 3" will bring audiences to the ancient China for a spellbinding adventure.

Rob Cohen, who takes a strong interest in Oriental culture, said the film was not strictly based on Chinese history. He wants it to be a blend of history and imagination to present in front of the audience as an Oriental myth.

Dragonzbane76
11-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Dam Jet looks like an elf from lord of the rings in that one pic. of him riding a horse in some leather garb.

GeneChing
12-05-2007, 01:03 PM
It's nice when the stuntmen get more spotlight.

Bruce Law: The accidental stuntman (http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/02/brucelaw.mummy3/)
By Cherise Fong
For CNN

HONG KONG, China (CNN) -- Hong Kong's veteran stuntman and special effects expert Bruce Law is busy coordinating car stunts and pyrotechnic effects on the Shanghai set of the new Hollywood production "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" -- or "Mummy 3" for short -- starring Jet Li.

Law recently took a break to discuss his career, from his first Hong Kong action movies to his latest work shooting in China.

CNN: You started out as a professional Thai boxer, and you were even part of Hong Kong's Auxiliary Police Force. What finally brought you to the film industry?

BL: I actually got into the industry by accident. When the opportunity came up to work within the industry, I jumped at it. Meanwhile, my previous experiences had laid a somewhat diverse, but very useful, foundation for me.

At 15, I was learning fencing and trampoline. When I was 16, I started to learn both Chinese martial arts and the Korean art of Tae Kwon Do. By the time I was 18, shortly after I earned my black belt, I entered and won the Hong Kong Tae Kwon Do Black Belt championship. It was also when I first started playing around with motorcycles, and when I was 22, I returned to professional Thai boxing.

I was 24 when I entered the film industry, and my first movie was Jackie Chan's "Police Story." The next movie I did was for director and producer Guy Lai, who asked me to be the car-stunt coordinator for his film "Sister Cupid."

I formed Bruce Law Stunts Unlimited in 1987 or 1988. I had already been involved in a lot of movies, but my name hadn't been mentioned in the credits of many of them. One film that really encouraged me in a big way was being mentioned in the opening credits of John Woo's "The Killer." That gave me a tremendous boost.

In 1992, I worked not only on Jackie Chan's "Police Story 3: Super Cop" but also "Crime Story" as the car-stunt director as well as the pyrotechnics and explosion director, which was another affirmation of myself.
Don't Miss

In 1997, I directed "Extreme Crisis." This gave me the chance to maximize my cumulative experiences in stunt work and help take Hong Kong action films to another level.

Now I'm immersing myself in the Chinese market, as well taking part in some of the larger Hollywood projects that have come over to shoot to China, including "MI-3" and "Mummy 3." I hope I can learn more from these projects and utilize these experiences in making the kind of movies I like in China.

CNN: How exactly are you involved in "Mummy 3"?

BL: My specialization is doing stunt work, but I also learned SFX (special effects) to incorporate into my stunts, because in Hong Kong I am not able to find good SFX people to collaborate with. The "Mummy 3" production initially approached me to be the stunt coordinator. However, my role in this movie is SFX coordinator.

CNN: How does the set in Shanghai compare with China's HengDian studios or your own studio in Hong Kong?

BL: The Shanghai sets are for scenes in contemporary Shanghai, while HengDian's sets are for scenes in old China. A lot of the movie is shot in Shanghai. Only one scene is filmed in HengDian. The main actors didn't need to be in HengDian, so there were only stunts and extras. My studio in Hong Kong is to support the stunts and SFX. That's where we build and maintain a lot of the equipment.

CNN: What have been the highlights and difficulties of the shoot so far?

BL: In regards to "Mummy 3," I shall not comment too much, because the movie is not finished yet. Based on my current experience, I have discovered that Hollywood movies have changed a lot from the past. Before they were more realistic on camera effects and stunts. Nowadays it's more computer-generated effects during post-production. Therefore, production work has become easier and less dangerous.

CNN: How do you feel about the evolution of stunt work from the Hong Kong movies of the early 1990s to the Hollywood action films of today?

BL: I got into the business in the 1980s. During that time, the stuntmen were not really very well respected, and I have to say that one of the main reasons was because they weren't always the most professional.

In the late 1980s, I think my participation in the Hong Kong film industry was quite influential in certain aspects. This was when the Hong Kong special effects and stunt people became more professional and gained a lot more respect around the world. In the 1990s, I would say that I was involved in about 70 percent of the SFX in Hong Kong movies, and this had quite an influence on the market.

Then in 2003, I read a German film critic's review saying that my movie "Extreme Crisis" was the first Hong Kong action movie. It changed the style of Hong Kong action movies; it had more of a Hollywood style. Now I hope I can take action movies in China into a new dimension, creating a new Chinese style of action movie.

In 2003, I was also given the opportunity to be represented by the ICM agency in the U.S. with the intention of launching my career in the States. But I ended up turning down that chance. I really feel that I want more freedom creatively. I think working in Hong Kong and China gives me more freedom than working within the American system.

Hong Kong is following close on Hollywood's footsteps. And the Chinese film and TV industry is growing much stronger. I hope that I can achieve in China what I was once able to achieve in Hong Kong.

CNN: How do you balance human performance and special effects in a film?

BL: The budget is one of the main factors. Visual effects in China and Hong Kong have a very different role compared to Hollywood. In Hollywood, VFX are more advanced and developed, and are more commonly used in all kinds of movies. It's still a developing department in the Chinese and Hong Kong film and TV industries.

Personally, I really feel that if the effect can be achieved on camera, I'd rather do it on camera. It's only with effects that are not possible on camera that I'd use VFX. I think that way the movie is more realistic, and even the effects themselves will have more energy.

CNN: Have you ever doubted the success of a stunt or a person's performance at the last moment?

BL: There are always doubts. Sometimes the doubt starts with the planning of the stunt, sometimes Hong Kong directors and action coordinators are not really familiar with all kinds of fighting, wirework, pyrotechnics and special effects. Therefore, there are sometimes impossible requests or suggestions for the scene.

When I began, the only way to prove myself to the directors and action coordinators and gain their trust was to be willing to sacrifice my own body! Sometimes all I would gain was pain and bleeding.

But slowly, people began to trust me and understand my point of view when it came to designing, coordinating and shooting a stunt. Now everything has changed, and I finally have full control during a shoot. I am the designer for all the action and stunts, as well as often performing the stunt myself. It's much easier this way, because then I am able to control each individual shot and shooting technique.

When I was directing "Extreme Crisis," only one person got injured. In a movie with that much action, only one person injured is very nearly a blessing. Of course, I don't want anybody to get hurt -- my original goal was to have zero injuries on the shoot, so I was disappointed that I wasn't able to achieve that.

CNN: How much of the stunt work do you perform yourself?

BL: I've been in the industry for 21 years now. For the first two years I was following other stunt coordinators. After that I began doing my own gigs, and I have been in about 200 movies now. I would say that about 90 of those movies have involved car stunts, another 50 have included someone being on fire or there being a controlled fire on set, and about 170 movies have involved pyrotechnics of some sort. Usually the most difficult stunts are the ones I perform myself.

CNN: You've developed and mastered an extensive range of special effects equipment, from wires and motorcycles to pyrotechnics. Which is your personal favorite?

BL: I like all of them, especially when they can be integrated as a whole package. If used together, they can achieve great results, which are hard to beat. I really enjoy the final result, when we can make use of combinations of various effects, as a collaboration between different teams and departments.

@PLUGO
05-16-2008, 04:05 PM
I like the look of that Yeti. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=bOuFrecJaz8)

Silent Assassin
05-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Here is the trailer for Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bOuFrecJaz8

冠木侍
05-16-2008, 05:15 PM
I think I might go see this...

Lucas
07-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Jet Li vs. Brendan Frasier and Michelle Yeow.

hmmm

GeneChing
07-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Had to merge that one, Lucas.
It opens next week.

Lucas
07-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Oh, its only number 3?

im jumping the gun. musta been with the terminator 4 preview i got mixed up.

GeneChing
07-30-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm bummed that I didn't get into a screener. Some in our TN office got to go to a sneak a few days ago. Tiger Claw armed Mummy 3, but not so much to get a credit. Nevertheless, they comped the screening to TN. They liked it although they said it could have used more Jet and Michelle.

MUMMY 3: Tom Boy Yeoh Meets Tomb Boy Li (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=778) by Dr. Craig Reid

No_Know
08-02-2008, 09:54 AM
I liked it--the talkie, "The Mummie: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor"~. I thought it was fun and that most characters were shown in a moment of signature--We got a moment of each character's passion or essence.

I thought it was a family film--the story is family based. Even to extend to love of country...or power to command as head of a country. But, also, a couple's talkie--relationships in pairs. This highlights a theme of Imortality and being someone's world, making Life full, something more than self--except perhaps the Emperor. The Emperor I took it paired only to further his goals, agendas, plots, plans or intentions. A successful regent must do some-such it seems, perhaps comes with the position. My say.

Watching Youtube's of jet Li last night and seeing instruction in a group of masters then in a demonstration noticing what the master was showing, comming through in one-called Jet Li's moves. I thought of this Emperor character's training.

The night before seeing, "The Mummy Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" I got to see a documentary of the Teracotta warriors...three chambers...never found the emporer's tomb...door guarded by arrows...remember Earth and Water heated/Fired to high enough temperature helps makes earthenware.

This thing of, "Fearless" was Jet Li's last movie, even last martial art(s) movie, I think what was officially put not merely grapevine hear-say (you know, the stuff people can tend to take as gospel..) was that, "Fearless" would be Jet Li's last Martial Art(s) Epic.

Michelle Yeoh is a Beauty. Like as beautiful or more so as previously seen on film. Her posture is attractive as well as her ability to convey...there's something about Michelle Yeoh...in a good way.

Jet Li, I liked his portrayal of Drama.

I am limiting my comments so as to share without spoiling.

I think if they tied in the story with understood informations, that that is great.

I liked the largeness if the battle scene(s)--the scope whch caused my mind to go to "The Curse of the Golden Flower"--epic

While there might be no closed pyramids in China, where ever you find a pyramid, you might can find a Mummy.

No_Know

No_Know
08-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Mr. Fraser's character used "Jail House Rock" or "Your Street/Bar U.S.A. Brawl"--close-in, grarab attacks--knees to the chest or face, Forward Smashing Elbow (as in your face ran into my elbow). There might have been a draw back-I'm close to off balance-take-it-as-far-back-as-I-can-and-unload-it punch for the face.

Ms. Yeoh's character seemed to only get to block which was helpful and distance herself when a struggle broke-off. Her greatest ability was to know the reason for the fight. Not to defeat the opponent that moment-it was bigger than that fight. There is always After the fight yet I think not all consider that every time. Her opponent was likely by skill or ability to defeat her that fight.
Igot that the character focused on bait-one, step-one--moves that lose her the fight but gain her position. Chess players sacrifice pieces to gain in positioning later.

There was one group that used Shuai Jiao--I say because of throwing. But intimidationcame first as Batman might--first thing he presents, "Fear Me" sort-of-thing. Works or not next sting Throw. They were strong enough that any subtleties of Shuai Jiao might not be noticed...O.K. One group threw people around.

There was point and shoot. Spray with the fast shooting gun. Sniper Shot. Reload Sho...reload Shoo...please reload..Now! Shoot.

Close combat and crotch catch with the bottom of the foot.

Close combat/In-Fighting, swords, guns (of a variety), Strategies...Losing to Win (Investing in Loss :->)

No_Know

mawali
08-03-2008, 08:58 AM
For a Western audience, the film was 3 stars of 4!

doug maverick
08-03-2008, 10:19 AM
was watching "at the movies" last night and they reviewed the film and when i heard richard roeper say that the fights were edited like **** thats when i knew that this movie was off my list of movies i want to see. because if he could see that then this movie is hopeless. and actually they showed the sword fight and it looked like a kid edited it. corny

SPJ
08-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Just seen it today.

like it.

the stone army against skeleton army.

---

:)

jethro
08-10-2008, 07:20 PM
was watching "at the movies" last night and they reviewed the film and when i heard richard roeper say that the fights were edited like **** thats when i knew that this movie was off my list of movies i want to see. because if he could see that then this movie is hopeless. and actually they showed the sword fight and it looked like a kid edited it. corny

Actually it was the other guy tht pointed out how bad the editing was. Richard Roper has no idea what a good fight scene is. And I agree about the editing in that Jet Li MIchelle Yeoh fight. There's like 3 cuts for every movement an actor makes. Stupid American editing.

doug maverick
08-10-2008, 09:39 PM
the best editors in the world are right here in the states walter murch, sally menke,jill bill****,thelma schoonmaker and on and on. people from all around the world come to america to learn how to edit. i'm sorry i just get ****ed when people try to critisizer american filmmaking forgeting that american films are the most copied films in the world.

jethro
08-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Well in general I will take HK editing over American editing any day. For the most part American editing sucks really bad in fight scenes. That Michelle Yeoh fight is a perfect example. It's not like it's a new thing. That's the same editing I see in most American movie fight scenes. I've seen it for too long, and it sucks that it's still going on.

puma
08-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Besides the fight Jet Li had with Michelle Yeoh...I liked this movie
I would give it 3 Gems out of 5

doug maverick
08-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Well in general I will take HK editing over American editing any day. For the most part American editing sucks really bad in fight scenes. That Michelle Yeoh fight is a perfect example. It's not like it's a new thing. That's the same editing I see in most American movie fight scenes. I've seen it for too long, and it sucks that it's still going on.

well if your talking about martial arts fight scenes then yes but if your talking about overall action sequence's then your bugging cause there are so many hk movies that rip action sequences straight out of american films cuts and all. and if your talking about overall editing then please please put down the bong your smoking on jethro. with all the giant plot holes and horrid cuts in emotianal scenes i could go on and on. while some hk filmmakers like andrew lau,johnnie to and of course john woo are fantastic editors in their own right. the speed in which HK films are cut togather leaves no time to really let the film sit inside the editor and directors mind to really tell the story instead of just peicing the film togather according to the script. i could probably write a whole disirtation on the defference between american and hong kong editing but i won't.

jethro
08-13-2008, 02:14 AM
Yes I was talking about the fight scenes. You know, Jet Li, Michelle Yeoh... I don't think I talked about anything else other than fight scenes and how American movies in general don't have good editing in fights and usually have too many cuts.

doug maverick
08-13-2008, 03:43 AM
Yes I was talking about the fight scenes. You know, Jet Li, Michelle Yeoh... I don't think I talked about anything else other than fight scenes and how American movies in general don't have good editing in fights and usually have too many cuts.

thats true the quick cut is sorta a staple, but again thats not all american films. please don't generalize.

jethro
08-13-2008, 10:32 AM
The bad editing in fights occurs in most American movies, so I have to generalize.

GeneChing
09-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Some not-to-flattering pics of Jet & Michelle...

"The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" Premieres in Shanghai (http://english.cri.cn/3086/2008/08/29/176s400216.htm)
2008-08-29 16:58:52

The Hollywood blockbuster "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" premiered in Shanghai on Thursday night.

Both Chinese leading cast members, Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh, showed up at the event to see the movie directed by Rob Cohen and written by Alfred Gough and Miles Millar.

With the August 1, 2008 release in the US, the mummy series is now a trilogy, with the latest offering taking audiences to ancient China.

The role of Dragon Emperor is played by Jet Li and is based on Qin Shi Huang, ruler of the Qin Dynasty, and possessor of a mysterious strength.

Rob Cohen, who takes a strong interest in Oriental culture, said the film was not strictly based on Chinese history. He wanted it to be a blend of history and imagination, a kind of Oriental myth.

doug maverick
09-16-2008, 02:29 PM
lol @ unflattering. yeoh is still hot with frizzy hair

GeneChing
08-02-2018, 08:27 AM
TWO THOUSAND LATE
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor and how China came to Hollywood (http://ew.com/movies/2018/08/01/mummy-tomb-dragon-emperor-2008-china-hollywood/)

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fewedit.files.wordpress.com %2F2018%2F08%2F2353_fp_t1_0056r_rgb.jpg%3Fw%3D2000&w=800&q=85
Universal

DARREN FRANICH
August 01, 2018 at 04:24 PM EDT

The summer of 2008 broke history, and rebuilt it. America suffered through a bitter presidential election on the road to a globewrecking financial crisis. In theaters, cinematic generations were rising — and falling. Superheroes, Will Smith, George Lucas, Guillermo del Toro, Emma Stone, Mike Myers, Sisterhoods and Step Brothers, Batman, and ABBA, adaptations of TV shows we still tweet about, new installments of movie franchises studios won’t stop rebooting: everything Hollywood was before, alongside everything it still is.

In our weekly column Two Thousand Late, we’ll explore the big hits and curious flops from a summer that has never really ended. Last week: The end of Will Ferrell’s golden age. Next week: Traveling Pants’ sisterhood and Pineapple Express’ brotherhood. This week: Brendan Fraser’s last mummy movie… so far.

On Aug. 8, 2008, the Beijing Olympics began with an opening ceremony for the ages. Acclaimed film director Zhang Yimou used thousands of performers and a kamillion-dollar budget to stage an operatic rendition of Chinese history. Half of the living human race tuned in — and that’s a lowball estimate, could be closer to two-thirds. Roger Ebert summed up the consensus reaction: “China is here, big time.”

It was always here, of course. But from the perspective of a Westerner — and, more specifically and more blinkered, the perspective of Hollywood — there was the feeling of an arrival throughout summer 2008. Two months pre-Olympics, Kung Fu Panda reflected the ongoing Hollywood fascination with martial arts, a sincere wuxia comedy that launched a whole four-quadrant franchise. And that franchise’s box office returns tell the tale of shifting financial realities across the past decade. The Kung Fu Panda sequels steadily earned less in the U.S., but the grosses skyrocketed in China, $26 million to $92 million to $152 million. (The latter represents an-ever-more-frequent Rubicon crossing: a Chinese box office outgrossing the domestic take.)

And then, one month before the Beijing Olympics, the biggest movie of the year/decade featured Batman making a memorably non sequitur trip to Hong Kong. But only one Hollywood blockbuster in the summer of 2008 filmed in mainland China, with a narrative exploring China’s history and mythology.

That film, unfortunately, was The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, a threequel so purposefully goofy that even discussing it in Big Picture terms seems offensive, unfair. Dragon Emperor is one of those sequels that mainly exists to highlight the perceptibly better qualities of its predecessors. With 1999’s The Mummy and 2001’s The Mummy Returns, writer-director Stephen Sommers pinpointed a jaunty, lighthearted spirit. He had the good fortune to cast effervescent Rachel Weisz, whose chipper Egyptologist remains one of the most believably smart people in any summer movie.

Sommers was just a producer on Dragon Emperor, leaving writing duties to Smallville’s Miles Millar and Alfred Gough. Weisz was gone, replaced by Maria Bello with a why-not British accent. Director Rob Cohen expelled Sommers’ throwback camp with diffident over-editing and digital effects that looked old on arrival.

The main thing you notice rewatching the movie is how completely Brendan Fraser showed up, man. This was, in hindsight, a brutal period for the actor. He got divorced in the midst of making Dragon Emperor. And based on a fascinating GQ profile this year, he was in the brutal physical shape. “By the time I did the third Mummy picture in China, I was put together with tape and ice,” Fraser said. “Screw-cap ice packs and downhill-mountain-biking pads, ’cause they’re small and light and they can fit under your clothes. I was building an exoskeleton for myself daily.” It’s a stunning image to hold in your head — the hero of The Mummy franchise, all wrapped up. You look closer at his pretty-solid stuntwork, hoping that the biking pads helped:

https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2018/08/brendan-fraser.gif
Universal

Little moments in his performance that shine through the slog. Fraser, exhausted from fishing, attacking trout with a revolver. Fraser, remorseful about hurling a man out of a car, apologetically hurling dollar bills in his direction.

https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2018/08/fraser-fish.gif
Universal

https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2018/08/fraser-cash.gif
Universal

But the most compelling person in Dragon Emperor is, well, the Emperor. Beijing-born Jet Li rose to martial arts cinema stardom in the Once Upon a Time in China franchise. In his Hollywood career, Li was usually paired opposite an English-speaking action hero: Mel Gibson, Jason Statham, two marvelous occasions with DMX. The posters for Dragon Emperor sell that idea, with Li as antagonistic equal to Fraser.

The truth is more depressing. The Dragon Emperor prologue introduces us to Li’s never-quite-named Emperor, a warlord seeking immortality. Cursed by Michelle Yeoh’s Zi Yuan, Li disappears behind unrecognizable CGI for his way-too-occasional appearances in the rest of the movie. It’s the worst idea any blockbuster has had in the digital age. Here’s a performer renowned for his brilliant physicality; let’s turn him into pixel blocks!

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fewedit.files.wordpress.com %2F2018%2F08%2Fscreen-shot-2018-07-31-at-4-32-56-pm-2.png&w=1100&q=85
Universal

We learn some intriguing tidbits about this Emperor, though. He built the Great Wall. He’s buried with an army of statues — and the bodies of his concubines. The prologue establishes this man in his “long ago” time. “The country was torn by Civil War, with many kingdoms struggling for land and power,” the narrator explains. “But one King had a ruthless ambition, to make himself Emperor by the sword.” The dream comes true. “Kingdom by Kingdom, his army swept away anything in its path… the country was his. He was now Emperor of all under heaven.”

Though never explicitly stated, this Emperor is almost certainly meant to be a fictionalized (and more magical) version of Qin Shi Huang, first ruler of unified China, builder of the Great Wall, creator of the imperial terminology Huangdi (which is generally translated to “Emperor,” though it’s more complicated than that, and I apologize so much for any and all cultural misconceptions, I write about cartoon ducks for a living.)

Notable to mention, by the way, how this prologue frames the Emperor’s activities around “a mythic battle between good and evil.” Without ever quite stating who’s who, the battle lines get drawn. Li’s Emperor seeks immortality and brutal power. He executes Zi Yuan’s lover via equine dismemberment. We’re miles away from the comparably understandable stakes of the first Mummy reboot, with a titular antagonist killed for the crime of love. In the movie’s perspective, this soon-to-be-Mummy was already up to no good.

continued next post

GeneChing
08-02-2018, 08:28 AM
https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fewedit.files.wordpress.com %2F2018%2F08%2Fscreen-shot-2018-08-01-at-10-56-25-am-1.png&w=1100&q=85
Universal

Understandable given his cosmic historical status, Qin Shi Huang appeared as a character numerous Chinese productions throughout the 2000s. Most famously, he was played by Chen Daoming in Hero, a 2002 martial arts epic directed by Zhang.

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fewedit.files.wordpress.com %2F2018%2F08%2Fqin-emperor.jpg&w=1100&q=85
Universal

Hero was, in its time, the most expensive Chinese film ever made. It earned a lot of money in China — and even more when it finally arrived in America two years later. A nation of early torrenters caught an early, poorly subtitled version of Hero in 2003 — not me, your honor, some guys I knew.

Hero is a complicated story built on unreliable narrators, but the main narrative is straightforward. Emperor Qin Shi Huang faces down an assassin. That assassin is played by Jet Li.

Given this context, Dragon Emperor becomes a hundred thousand times more interesting. In the span of a few years, Li played one of the most famous figures in world history — and also played the guy planning that famous figure’s assassination.

It becomes even more interesting given how the films present their respective rulers. Hero ends with Li’s assassin deciding not to kill the Emperor, reasoning that his dominion will usher in greater peace. This ending — and the fact that Hero represented a massive expenditure within the more restrictive censorship of the Chinese film industry — opens the film to an easy critique as glossy government propaganda, bloody complex history reframed as triumphalism.

There are counterarguments about Hero’s meaning I won’t get into, except to say it’s a complicated film made within thematic restrictions by a director who could be subverting those restrictions or could just be putting on a hell of a show. (Any single shot of Hero makes Dragon Emperor look videotaped.) And I won’t pretend to know anything else about Qin Shi Huang beyond the most basic research; any mega-powerful historical figure looks like a benevolent demigod or a tyrant, depending on your perspective.

What’s more interesting, in hindsight, is that a few years later, Hollywood produced a film that boldly cast the nigh-mythic ruler of China as a fire-breathing corpse-bot who occasionally transforms into a dragon. If Li himself was trying to subvert the apparent meaning of Hero, I can’t imagine a better method. But Dragon Emperor was a cross-cultural co-production; the film’s last credit declares it was “Supervised by China Film Co-production Corporation.” In a piece published by Variety, Cohen explained how the co-production negotiation affected the movie. “We had to depoliticize the script,” he said, “To keep certain things as fantasy and not so historical.”

It’s funny to imagine any version of a Mummy reboot that was remotely political, and it’s possible that the whole good/evil demonization of the mythic Emperor was so ludicrous that nobody at China Film Co-Production Corporation took it seriously. Certainly, Li’s participation in the film feels more like an example of the lame options granted actors of his background in Hollywood. There’s a nearly magic moment late in Dragon Emperor when Li swordfights with Yeoh. It’s a minor reunion for the Tai Chi Master costars, filmed miserably with indifferent closeups, mistimed slow-mo, editing that seems to hide more action than it shows. And yet, it can’t help but be jolting, because these are the characters this movie is actually about, a millennia-old enmity obscured behind a lame caper about tourists visiting from abroad.

Dragon Emperor grossed around $17 million at the Chinese box office — less than Kung Fu Panda and The Forbidden Kingom, another Jet Li-starring Hollywood-China coproduction, but more than Iron Man. I’d love to know how the movie played for audiences there. The climactic battlesees the Emperor’s victims rising against him out of the Great Wall — yeesh, a veritable populist uprising, with sword zombies!

Certainly, a villain like the Dragon Emperor seems unlikely to appear in a major blockbuster today. One year after this film, a remake of Red Dawn went into production. It was supposed to be about young Americans battling an invading force of Chinese soldiers. In a lengthy postproduction, with an eye on the international box office, the filmmakers infamously swapped the Chinese flags with North Korean ones, a decision that seems more offensive the more you think about the particulars — although it becomes kind of funny when you remember two of the heroic American characters were played by Australians.

It’s not a bad thing, necessarily, this new economic incentive to not cast foreigners as national-symbolic demons. Occasionally, you spot a new timidity, even fealty, emerging in the blockbuster trade — most famously in Michael Bay’s second-worst Transformers movie, Age of Extinction, with its propagandistic plot-pointless cutaway to Beijing, a politician declaring, “The Central Government will protect Hong Kong at all costs!”

Since 2008, Chinese companies have risen in prominence as Hollywood investors, even as the Chinese moviegoing audience has generally continued to grow. Last year, Universal rebooted The Mummy franchise away from Dragon Emperor, back to Egypt (though really, inevitably, London). Tom Cruise’s Mummy was a financial disappointment, grossing only $80 million domestically. It made more in China.

Complete Summer 2008 Schedule:

May 2: Iron Man and Made of Honor
May 9: Speed Racer
May 16: The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
May 22: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crystal Skull
May 30: Sex and the City
June 6: Kung Fu Panda
June 13: The Happening
June 20: The Love Guru
June 27: WALL-E
July 2: Hancock
July 11: Hellboy II: The Golden Army