PDA

View Full Version : Iron Palm guy with big swollen hand (vid)

IronFist
05-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Is this normal?

Take a look at his right hand throughout the vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulXzfJq3Dd0). Or look at when he puts his hands side by side at 2:34 :eek:

SanHeChuan
05-03-2007, 09:59 PM
If you read American Shaolin, The dude talks about the guys who do Iron Palm having oversized hands and the dudes doing Iron head talking with a stutter.

It's not so much unusual as preventable, I think.

I'm not really an expert on Iron hand. But there are plenty of people who at least claim the skill without deformities. I never seen any of them break a stack of four bricks though. :eek:

maybe he uses one of those f-cked up jows with mercury in it?

The chick at the end was cute too. :D

Shaolinlueb
05-03-2007, 10:34 PM
if you train the iron palm and iron body the wrong way it can mess you up.

zhangxihuan
05-04-2007, 07:37 AM
that looked sick.....his hand is prob perm. damaged!

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-04-2007, 07:57 AM
I Doubt it. I think this is more like a weightlifter who ONLY lifts with his right arm.

It's not swollen, it's massively over developed because he only does his one hand.

xcakid
05-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Wonder what it would feel like to be hit with that hand? :eek:

PangQuan
05-04-2007, 10:39 AM
ow

if you can read this your trying to hard

bodhitree
05-04-2007, 11:35 AM
that would be funny, his jabbing hand is all small then comes the big cross

xcakid
05-04-2007, 11:44 AM
that would be funny, his jabbing hand is all small then comes the big cross

It would be like being in a cartoon fight. LOL

IronFist
05-09-2007, 02:42 PM
I Doubt it. I think this is more like a weightlifter who ONLY lifts with his right arm.

It's not swollen, it's massively over developed because he only does his one hand.

Not really. There really aren't many muscles in your hand to which you can cause hypertrophy, and even so, iron palm training doesn't cause hypertrophy in the first place. It's probably swollen due to scar tissue.

TenTigers
05-09-2007, 03:37 PM
so, using that philosphy...now, I'm thinkin here...if I take my..um...well,"Little Rikki"
and basically, I would have to start small, (Hey, that's not what I meant) but..eventually, I can do to "Little Rikki" what that guy did to his hand.

...then I'd be King of the Beach.

Ni Jian mu
05-09-2007, 03:44 PM
It looks like that guy went through the last stage of iron palm or iron sand palm training. Basicaly stirring a pot full of iron filings and sand that has been heated to over 100 degrees with your hand. Apparently it is only done by people who already have children as the martial artist can become sterile:eek: . i dunno but no amount of weightlifting caused his hand to become that big.

omarthefish
05-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Thank you, thank you...thank you all....

I ripped that clip off of the CCTV site. It was in the "related videos" section when I was searching for some footage from an amateur lei tai tournament I saw on TV.

WinterPalm
05-09-2007, 07:25 PM
I'll just come right out and say it since nobody else is: that is obscene. My Sifu has been doing iron palm for a very long time and his hands look normal. That is the wrong way to do it if you want longevity in your ability to hold a spoon when you're in your golden years.

However, if this got him out of the ghetto and feeds his family, then more power to him.

Samurai Jack
05-09-2007, 11:25 PM
Nice find, Iron. As you know, I'm a huge believer in hand conditioning. The first thing that turned me on to chinese methods was an article in Karate Illustrated back in the early nineties.

A gentleman performed an experiment for about three years, training his right hand against a makiwara with daily salt rubs, and his left hand in Iron Palm using jow (how he rubbed in the jow without getting any on his right hand is beyond me... maybe he used a rubber glove). Anyhow there were before and after photos, and the difference was amazing. His right hand had the callouses you typically see on senior karateka... his left hand was visibly larger than his right, but had no apparent damage.

I suppose if you do Iron Palm like you should, on both hands, you won't look deformed. You'll just look like you have big hands. Not counting the stains from the jow, of course.

golden arhat
05-10-2007, 01:33 AM
It looks like that guy went through the last stage of iron palm or iron sand palm training. Basicaly stirring a pot full of iron filings and sand that has been heated to over 100 degrees with your hand. Apparently it is only done by people who already have children as the martial artist can become sterile:eek: . i dunno but no amount of weightlifting caused his hand to become that big.

just a tip

dont believe everything u read in those books

i'm assuming u are reading something like one of wong kiew kits books

or some other crap

take everything with a pinch of salt

Ni Jian mu
05-10-2007, 06:44 AM
just a tip

dont believe everything u read in those books

i'm assuming u are reading something like one of wong kiew kits books

or some other crap

take everything with a pinch of salt

No actually lol. I have one of wong kiew kits books and i totally agree with you. I actually got this out of another book by Yang Jwing-ming and as it was recommended. I personally don't believe someone would do that but looking at that guys hand something has happened. I have been studying various martial arts since i was about 7 years old mate and thankfully :p i have learned to take certain things such as mentioned with a huge pinch of salt lol.

Cheers
Jamie

Sal Canzonieri
05-11-2007, 09:26 AM
I hope you know that hand conditioning shortens your life span.

Just about every well know person that did it to a large extent also died in their early 50s.

Look them up.

Also, same thing happens to karate master that overdo the hard conditioning, and not enough soft nei gong, they die in their early 50s.

From Ed Parker to the local karate master in my area.

Indestructible
05-11-2007, 09:47 AM

Just about every well know person that did it to a large extent also died in their early 50s.

Look them up.

Also, same thing happens to karate master that overdo the hard conditioning, and not enough soft nei gong, they die in their early 50s.

So... If I start in my fifties will I live to be 100?

sanjuro_ronin
05-11-2007, 09:50 AM

Look them up.

So how do you explain all the 80+ year old masters that have done it and are still around ?
Kicking ass in some cases.