PDA

View Full Version : OT: Be Careful What You Put In Cyberspace

BoulderDawg
05-07-2007, 11:12 AM
I just read a story about a girl who was going to school to be a teacher. The school happened to find her "MySpace" page. On it was a picture of her with a drink in her hand and the caption was, "Drunken Pirate"....

The school told her she wasn't fit to be a teacher and denied her the teachig certificate a day before graduation.

My guess is there is more to this story than just a picture on a website however just remember that anything what you publish on the web might come back to bite you!:D

FuXnDajenariht
05-07-2007, 11:20 AM
thats very unfair. a legal adult should be able to drink off duty.

authoritarian @ss-holes :rolleyes:

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-07-2007, 11:21 AM
I saw her interview on the news. She was NOT a teacher, but a student studying to become a teacher, with good grades, who was denied her diploma over the incident.

Also, the contents of the drink are unknown, it could have been 7-up for all they knew.

Also, ALSO, she is well over 21, and can leagally drink till she falls over if she chooses.

If she can loose her diploma over this, then so can all college students.

In the interview, they said she is suing the school over this, and will most likely win.

BoulderDawg
05-07-2007, 11:27 AM
No one on this thread said she was a teacher.

In any case it's rather obvious that there is more going on here then that stupid photo. I'm fairly certain that after a visit from her lawyers they will give her the certificate. However whoever started this has gotten what they wanted. She might have a hard time finding a job.

In any case it's pretty stupid if you want to be a teacher to post a picture of yourself as a drunk on the web....especially if you have enemies.

norther practitioner
05-07-2007, 11:30 AM
I saw her interview on the news. She was NOT a teacher, but a student studying to become a teacher, with good grades, who was denied her diploma over the incident.

Also, the contents of the drink are unknown, it could have been 7-up for all they knew.

Also, ALSO, she is well over 21, and can leagally drink till she falls over if she chooses.

If she can loose her diploma over this, then so can all college students.

In the interview, they said she is suing the school over this, and will most likely win.

Depends on the school... If it's a private school with a code of conduct i.e. no drinking.. then they can do whatever they like. I seriously doubt that this will stand however.

norther practitioner
05-07-2007, 11:31 AM

In any case it's rather obvious that there is more going on here then that stupid photo. I'm fairly certain that after a visit from her lawyers they will give her the certificate. However whoever started this has gotten what they wanted. She might have a hard time finding a job.

In any case it's pretty stupid if you want to be a teacher to post a picture of yourself as a drunk on the web....especially if you have enemies.

from your first post... :

I just read a story about a girl who was going to school to be a teacher.

MasterKiller
05-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Employers browse for the personal webpages of potentional hires. It's a bad idea to use your real name ON ANY website, unless you are running a commercial business.

BoulderDawg
05-07-2007, 11:35 AM

from your first post... :

Quote:
I just read a story about a girl who was going to school to be a teacher.

And how does that change what I said? As far as I know if you are going to school to be a teacher that does not make you one.

BoulderDawg
05-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Employers browse for the personal webpages of potentional hires. It's a bad idea to use your real name ON ANY website, unless you are running a commercial business.

Even on an anonymous BB it's probably not a good idea to say things that could harm your professional life.

BruceSteveRoy
05-07-2007, 11:58 AM
someone i work with was recently emailed by someone saying to give them money or they would beat them up and hurt their family and stuff and they knew all kinds of personal information about the person. so naturally she was really scared and assumed the person sending the email actually knew who she was. so the cops were called and the fbi apparently has been investigating these kinds of threats to people. as it turns out these emails are becoming more common and the people that are sending them out are getting the personal info from sites like myspace. so when they threaten you it seems like they actually know stuff about you and your family. crazy. anyway, yeah watch what you post.

see MK myspace isn't just for meeting trannys.

tug
05-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Either way, no matter what, it is extremely prudent to be mindful of what is posted about oneself, pix, txt or bio (even if only for nothing but the politico of beauracracy {which of course is bullsh!te})

cjurakpt
05-07-2007, 12:03 PM
it's such total BS, and indicative of the sort of PC overeactionary cr@p we see everywhere these day; how exactly did they arrive at the conclusion that it was promoting underage drinking?!? and as for not being professional, well, at the time it was taken, she was technically not a professional, and until she secured a job, she still wouldn't be one;
the easy, STUPID, answer is for the Dean to approach her and say, "hey, this came to my attention - I strongly suggest you remove it prior to applying for a job anywhere, because it may be harmful to your prospects", and let it go at that - I mean, give the gal a break - the picture didn't even show her sloppy drunk, and obviously the caption was meant as parody

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1558467/20070501/id_0.jhtml

I would have sued them for waaay more than $75K...

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Actually, the pic doesn't really show what level of intoxication, if any. Just that she was drinking from a cup that had promo's for a CANDY BAR on it, and that she wore a hat.

FuXnDajenariht
05-07-2007, 01:03 PM

LOL if you have enemies?

so teachers shouldn't have social lives now?

tug
05-07-2007, 01:13 PM
LOL if you have enemies?

so teachers shouldn't have social lives now?

Not that they shouldn't have social lives, but they, by standards, are (or should be) held to a higher level of propriety, as are politicians and public officials.

ANY difference of opinion or bad mark on their record and their values are questioned, and/or (as in this case) cause for termination.

...just playing devil's advocate here, not agreeing with the decision at all...

SPJ
05-07-2007, 01:22 PM
I think it is no fair.

you may drink at holloween party but just dun post of a pic of it, I guess.

:D

tug
05-07-2007, 01:33 PM
I think it is no fair.

you may drink at holloween party but just dun post of a pic of it, I guess.

:D

It is absolutely NOT fair, but -

Exactly. It belies a certain level of not understanding the possible consequences of such behavior.

cjurakpt
05-07-2007, 01:45 PM
she was drinking from a cup that had promo's for a CANDY BAR on it, and that she wore a hat.

well put - burn her, I say, burny burn!

Shaolinlueb
05-07-2007, 01:53 PM
this is f**king gay.

tug
05-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Ur ghey. :D

cjurakpt
05-07-2007, 02:29 PM
reading some of the press on it, evidently someone on the administration of the High School where she interned first found the pic and told the university that if she wasn't punished, the district would not allow student teachers to intern there; they also said tht some of the HS students possibly seeing the pic would find offense at it :confused:

I guess that HS just ain't the same as it was when I went...:(

David Jamieson
05-07-2007, 02:53 PM
pfft.

people can post all sorts of stuff about you on all sorts of social networking sites.

just last week i put up some pics of some friends and one got ticked off at me because he looked fat in the pictures.

I simply told him that if he didn't want to look fat in pictures then he should take better care of himself. lol.

anyway, she should sue the school, take the millions and open a montesorri school!

Shaolinlueb
05-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Ur ghey. :D

your a bloke.

splinter
05-08-2007, 08:53 AM
http://www.cvsd.k12.pa.us/DS/tempNews/snyderLawsuit05_07.pdf

I wouldn't want her teaching my kids.

BoulderDawg
05-08-2007, 09:56 AM

I wouldn't want her teaching my kids.

If anything she should be fired for stupidity.:D

It's a tough situation. Of course I'm sure many are assuming the worse and thinking she's having wild orgies with all these high school guys after school. This is what she is going to have to defend herslef against if she continues the lawsuit. That's going to be really difficult to do if she's not married or at least has a boyfriend. It's up to her.

Personally, I would just give teaching the finger. She's gotten so much publicity out of this that she could probably get a job paying more.

splinter
05-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Ya, most of the press she's getting give the impression that she didn't do any thing wrong, but it looks like she's really pushing the boundary of student/teacher relationships, and doing it almost to spite the people at the school.

I don't know that the issue was that she was at a party (that would be truely stupid) as much as that she ought to care about her public image.

It's totally unprofessional. For students that age, teachers are supposed to be authority figures, and command some respect. Not peers. She clearly doesn't understand that.

golden arhat
05-08-2007, 04:20 PM
your a bloke.

your an american ?

honestly what yank uses the word "bloke"

Dale
10-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Interesting discussion. I know that she was not employed. However, it is important to note that in PA (where the school in question is located), a teacher can be dismissed from a teaching position for "offending the morals of a community." Who determines what the "morals" are, well if the teacher is "tenured" he or she is entitled to a due process hearing with legal representation to plead the case, and if he or she is not tenured, then they can simply be dimissed without comment.

Mr Punch
10-31-2007, 09:35 PM
just last week i put up some pics of some friends and one got ticked off at me because he looked fat in the pictures.

I simply told him that if he didn't want to look fat in pictures then he should take better care of himself. lol.What a great friend you are...

your a bloke.How is that an insult? You yanks abusing the Queen's English again?! :eek: :D

Mr Punch
10-31-2007, 09:46 PM

I wouldn't want her teaching my kids.How the hell do things like that get on the net while we're at it?

I want to express a variety of emotions to each of you: regret, empathy, confidence, responsibility...But, no nor would I! She thinks those are emotions: she's therefore a total idiot. Plus:
I put my faith and trust in God, I felt He guided me in writing this letter...She's a dangerous lunatic who talks to imaginary beings... and believes they answer her!

Know Stile
10-31-2007, 11:34 PM
maybe they just don't approve of her being a pirate.

Goldenmane
11-01-2007, 04:12 AM
I don't appreciate her being a pirate. She's not cool enough, and has no style.

No style like pirate style!

Or something.

Forgive me. New keyboard, and it's annoying me.

Takuan
11-01-2007, 12:18 PM
http://www.venganza.org/images/spreadword/pchart1.jpg

She is helping the environment, a model citizen, and should be rewarded for doing so. Bravo Ms. Snyder, Bravo.