PDA

View Full Version : Where in NYC can I learn Chin Na?

panaca79
05-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Is there a school in NYC that teaches strictly Shaolin Chin Na?

SanHeChuan
05-07-2007, 06:24 PM
NO:rolleyes:

lkfmdc
05-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Hi KKM! :D

I'm sure one of the Shaolin Temples (tm) will offer you Shaolin Chin Na (tm) if you wear the official Shaolin T-Shirt (tm) and Shaolin Pants (tm)

Meat Shake
05-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Meh...
I got nothin.

TenTigers
05-07-2007, 08:43 PM
go to a decent jiu-jutsu school, then squint your eyes, and you could swear the sensei was a shaolin monk. Chin-na is not a specific style, but specific technique within a style.

Laukarbo
05-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Panaca79,

welcome to the board!!!:rolleyes:

Shaolinlueb
05-07-2007, 09:22 PM
i dont know, check out one of shum leungs eagel claw school. but i doubt they will just let you do chin na. you can find some Yang Jwing Ming seminars on chin na. he is pretty good.

er did i jsut give a serious answer?

Laukarbo
05-07-2007, 09:28 PM
er did i jsut give a serious answer?

that just proves that not everyone is a born d.i.c.k.head :D :D :cool:

Shaolinlueb
05-07-2007, 09:34 PM
that just proves that not everyone is a born d.i.c.k.head :D :D :cool:

according to my dad im a f**king d**khead. ;)

Laukarbo
05-07-2007, 09:37 PM
according to my dad im a f**king d**khead. ;)

:D ..did u tell him like father like son? :D
I mean that s what I would have told my old man...:p

or i´d tell him "its all in the genes muthafukka"
(muthafukka wouldnt even count as an insult would it?) :D

Shaolinlueb
05-07-2007, 09:41 PM
:D ..did u tell him like father like son? :D
I mean that s what I would have told my old man...:p

or iŽd tell him "its all in the genes muthafukka"
(muthafukka wouldnt even count as an insult would it?) :D

well i hit him with snow with the snow blower when i was likew 14. then i ran inside to call all my friends about how we bonded. mf qwith my dad? if i said it like that no.

tjfeen
05-17-2007, 10:23 AM
The Norther Manits school, aside from their regular mantis cirriculum, offers a 24 class Chin Na program. The Sifu is quite distinguished. You can check out all the info on his site:

http://www.northernmantis.com/charter.html

Though, if you're truly serious about learning, I would plan on needing far more than 24 classes to learn. Good luck with your training.

T.F.

BraveMonkey
05-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Yeah, 24 lessons is about the best you'll do and you should really have some experience before you go to that. Looking for kung fu school that teaches only chi na is like looking for a language school that teaches only verbs.

lkfmdc
05-17-2007, 11:55 AM
OK, now watch all heck break loose

The Norther Manits school, aside from their regular mantis cirriculum, offers a 24 class Chin Na program. The Sifu is quite distinguished.

I happen to know for a fact they never spar at Sifu Chu's school. If they hit anything like a pad, it is extremely rare. They mostly do forms and basics in the air.

Trying to learn any sort of grappling without live conditions, like resistance, is like learning how to swin by sitting on the side of the pool and waving your arms like a swimmer

Though, if you're truly serious about learning, I would plan on needing far more than 24 classes to learn.

Based upon the above observation, after 24 classes you will have nothing.... try a JUDO SCHOOL like Oishi or a BJJ program like Renzo's and after 24 classes at least you will have something you might, gasp, be able to use

mickey
05-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Greetings panaca79,

I understand that one of Yang Jwing Ming's students is opening a school in New York City. You may want to contact the YMAA to confirm and get the person's phone number.

I hope for your sake it is true.

mickey

monji112000
05-17-2007, 08:12 PM
I don't know if its 100% the "chin-na" you are looking for but..

NYC Sanda does have a clinching class. The class seems to me basically a mix of Thai/wrestling clinching with some "chin-na" style stuff. I have had some classes in Chin-na i guess you would call it "Shaolin Chin-na".. honestly I couldn't ever really get that stuff to work. Just my experience.

If you are looking to learn some basic locks, chokes (arm bar, kimura)ect.. combined with wrestling then give the class a try. They also focus on throwing.

I was skeptical about it, honestly... but after the first class I really enjoyed it. The thing that sold me was that everything is done in a real environment. You really learn how to do something when the guy isn't saying... here ok grab my hand, ok I will let you twist it here.. ok don't worry I won't punch you.. ok here why not grab my other hand too.

NO, you got to learn it the same way you learn any other thing, by doing. I haven't seen many places follow this mentality. I enjoyed the classes a great deal and I look forward to continuing when I come back after the summer.

Maybe some Hung gar or Choy lay fut school teaches what you are looking for.. don't know didn't visit any school that teach those styles.

just as a personal suggestion avoid any school that doesn't have sparring/"aliveness" training. Its a waste of money. JMO

lkfmdc
05-17-2007, 08:30 PM
I think I now know who Monji is :D

I don't know if its 100% the "chin-na" you are looking for but..

NYC Sanda does have a clinching class. The class seems to me basically a mix of Thai/wrestling clinching with some "chin-na" style stuff. I have had some classes in Chin-na i guess you would call it "Shaolin Chin-na".. honestly I couldn't ever really get that stuff to work. Just my experience.

If you are looking to learn some basic locks, chokes (arm bar, kimura)ect.. combined with wrestling then give the class a try. They also focus on throwing.

I was skeptical about it, honestly... but after the first class I really enjoyed it. The thing that sold me was that everything is done in a real environment. You really learn how to do something when the guy isn't saying... here ok grab my hand, ok I will let you twist it here.. ok don't worry I won't punch you.. ok here why not grab my other hand too.

NO, you got to learn it the same way you learn any other thing, by doing. I haven't seen many places follow this mentality. I enjoyed the classes a great deal and I look forward to continuing when I come back after the summer.

Maybe some Hung gar or Choy lay fut school teaches what you are looking for.. don't know didn't visit any school that teach those styles.

just as a personal suggestion avoid any school that doesn't have sparring/"aliveness" training. Its a waste of money. JMO

Fu-Pow
05-17-2007, 09:46 PM
I think you should learn Kam La its much higher level.

wiz cool c
05-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Ying Jow Pai Eagle Claw school has lots of Chin na and they spar. As far as Judo goes I studied with George Pasiuk. He is a 5th degree black belt is 60 and still competets. His classes are very cheap and one of the most fun and rewarding schools I've been to. Also the people there are super nice. I highly recommend this school.

Scott R. Brown
05-18-2007, 12:13 AM
Try Yoshinkan Aikido.

It is the style used by the Tokyo Police Dept. and much harder/meatier than other styles.

New Class Schedule

2726 Broadway, 3rd Floor
(between 104th St. and 105th St.)
New York, N.Y. 10025

Tuesdays 8:45 p.m. - 9:45 p.m.
Fridays 7:45 p.m. - 8:45 p.m.

I got this info online at: http://www.nyyoshinkan.com

There was no phone number.

cjurakpt
05-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Try Yoshinkan Aikido.

according to the website, the guy listed as chief instructor at that school originally studied with Shihan Antonio Pereira who, in the opinion of an old martial arts friend of mine, is a "real bad ass" (hey Dave, guess who that might be :D ...)

lkfmdc
05-18-2007, 09:33 AM
according to the website, the guy listed as chief instructor at that school originally studied with Shihan Antonio Pereira who, in the opinion of an old martial arts friend of mine, is a "real bad ass" (hey Dave, guess who that might be :D ...)

uh, maybe it's........ NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :eek:

:D

cjurakpt
05-18-2007, 03:15 PM
uh, maybe it's........ NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :eek:

:D

that would be "no, Suprema Judicator" (or "sir" if feeling affectionate...)