PDA

View Full Version : Forgive my ignorance, but what is

xcakid
05-08-2007, 09:34 AM
...the significance of having 7 frog buttons on you kung fu uniform tops?

I have heard that there is some sort of significance when it come to TCMA. Can anyone tell me what that is?

MasterKiller
05-08-2007, 09:37 AM
sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Sometimes, Monica thinks it's special :eek:

Shaolinlueb
05-08-2007, 10:24 AM
its um traditional chinese outfit? idk.

BruceSteveRoy
05-08-2007, 10:47 AM
bc 6 is too few and 8 is too many? idk either

brothernumber9
05-08-2007, 11:25 AM
seven dots. Zig zag connected is a representation of sevent stars. Battle flag, accepts all challenges.

PangQuan
05-08-2007, 11:28 AM
http://www.goddessmystic.com/PathActivities/ComparativeReligions/BigDipper.shtml

PangQuan
05-08-2007, 11:32 AM
the seven stars have played a large roll in not just chinese but many other cultures astrology.

the connection to the seven stars in chinese history can be seen all over the place. from aranging your house to your martial arts.

it could be so simple as 7 is a lucky number and who ever started the trend decided to use that number.

xcakid
05-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Guess that coincide with the Shaolin Seven Star form.

PangQuan
05-08-2007, 01:32 PM
ive been told that the seven star stance. like drop with the toe pointed up.

used alot in shaolin systems.

is in relation to the big dipper. the shape of the stance is the same as the dipper or what not.

interesting though.

NJM
05-08-2007, 02:38 PM
...the significance of having 7 frog buttons on you kung fu uniform tops?

I have heard that there is some sort of significance when it come to TCMA. Can anyone tell me what that is?

You need at least 7 pieces of flare to be a TCMA practitioner.

How could no one have jumped on that one yet? :P

Oso
05-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Is 7 lucking in chinese culture?

idk, too

golden arhat
05-08-2007, 04:00 PM
lol a stance based on a constellation
lol half the time i'm convinced that some ppl just come up with varying forms/styles just cos they it would be neat
and arent in fact about fight ing

ffs

David Jamieson
05-08-2007, 05:05 PM
prime numbers=lucky in chinese

SanHeChuan
05-08-2007, 05:22 PM
they represent the seven seas! don't you people know anything! J/K idk :p

Oso
05-08-2007, 05:39 PM
prime numbers=lucky in chinese

ah, ok.........

xcakid
05-09-2007, 06:52 AM
You need at least 7 pieces of flare to be a TCMA practitioner.

How could no one have jumped on that one yet? :P

LOL :D

And I'll get on that TPS report this weekend.

Fuzzly
05-11-2007, 12:00 AM
I've heard that it was "odd" number that are lucky. Is it odd or prime?

(Not saying my source is any more or less valid, just curious)

NJM
05-11-2007, 09:50 AM
I've heard that it was "odd" number that are lucky. Is it odd or prime?

(Not saying my source is any more or less valid, just curious)

Well, under normal conditions even numbers cannot be primes, so I bet that a prime number is luckier than an odd number because it is both odd and prime.

IronFist
05-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Where did you hear seven was significant?

Some guy probably made a uniform and put a button every so often to help keep the uniform top closed. If the buttons were too close it would be overkill, and if they were too far apart your top would flop open. So they probably ended up with 7.

Then someone probably saw it and goes "whoa, that looks cool! I'm gonna copy it and sell it for less than that other guy." Then there were two people making uniforms with 7 buttons.

And so on.

Mega-Foot
05-12-2007, 06:13 AM
The seven star story was the best guess yet, but still off the mark.

This actually has to do with the Chinese myth of the Frog King, and his seven spinster daughters, who manufactured the first kung fu uniform ever fashioned. They ran out of material, however, before they could finish the collar. So, each of them chopped off one of their legs, and used it to fasten the shirt together. Ever since, in recognition of their sacrifice, we've called these fasteners "frogs."

mickey
05-12-2007, 06:20 AM
Greetings,

I think you are missing the Muslim connection especially when it comes to the Ching Wu uniforms. Wasn't Huo Yuan Chia a Muslim?

Here is what the number seven means to the Muslim people. It's cool:

http://www.wadsworth.com/religion_d/special_features/symbols/islamic.html

mickey

Eddie
05-12-2007, 06:32 AM
was also curious about the significance. The IWF rules dictate that students who compete in tournament must have 7 frog ties on their uniform. If not, you can get penelised i think, or sometimes not even allowed to compete

xcakid
05-14-2007, 07:43 AM
I was always told in various CMA I have taken (Sil Lum, Ying Jow Pai and even Shaolin Kempo[I know not CMA]) That there is a significance and that traditional tops are made with 7 frog buttons. I was not curious enough to ask until now. And as Eddie states, there are some comps where if you compete in traditional forms, you have to wear a top with 7 frog buttons. Can't think of the event in S.F., CA where this was the case. Granted this was back in mid 80's.

Takuan
05-14-2007, 06:14 PM
My vote goes to Mega-Foot! :)

But on the other hand, why wouldn't it be eight frogs, with the ba gua and such. Maybe it doesn't have a reason?

Nonetheless, I think Frog King wins.