PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm new

zippo_88
05-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Hi, I finally joined the site but have been lurking for a while now lol. I am and have been a fan of martial arts for a long time, I personally prefer the internal styles of Kung Fu. They fit my personality, though I do not practice any formally because there are no kung fu schools near where I live, I try to learn a lot from videos and books, and kind of do as Bruce Lee said and mix everything up, though personally I am not a fan of MMA fighting and things like that, yes, I know, I'm weird lol. I look forward to learning a lot about the history of Kung Fu here on this forum as I have noticed that everyone here knows a lot more than me. Kung Fu reall captures my heart, I love its spiritual and philosophical roots. I know this is my first thread but I was hoping some of you could answer some questions I have:

-- I like to collect canes, and I was wondering if there is any form of Kung Fu, especially an internal style, that uses canes. I read an article, found here: http://www.plumpub.com/info/Articles/art_SLcane.htm but I was wondering if anyone could give me some more information, if so I would greatly appreciate it.

-- Also, I do not consider myself a vain person but I cannot help but love the traditional clothing one wears for practicing Kung Fu, I have always found that simple black jacket to be humble yet so powerful. I was wondering if there is any symbolism behind the traditional clothes in kung fu.

Anyway I truly look forward to being a part of this forum and I'm sure I'll learn a lot, and hopefully I'll be able to contribute atleast a little bit lol. Everyone here seems pretty friendly from what I've read. Well, I just wanted to introduce myself as the new guy lol.

Peace

PangQuan
05-08-2007, 11:12 AM
hey there zippo.

i dont have any links or what not to provide info. im sure someone is more knowing on this, but i do know there are forms of chinese martial art that do utilize the cane as a weapon.

not too sure about the clothes thing. i generally just wear kungfu pants a t-shirt and some cozy shoes.

im sure you will have thoughts to offer many conversations on here. after all, thats what its all about on the forum.

just dont get offended if some people come off as rude. or from the trolls.

welcome and enjoy

xcakid
05-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Waddup. Welcome. Guess now, I can pass one the newbie torch?!!!

Hey what's you name mean? Zippo the lighter, class of 88? Just curious.

NJM
05-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Hi, I finally joined the site but have been lurking for a while now lol. I am and have been a fan of martial arts for a long time, I personally prefer the internal styles of Kung Fu. They fit my personality, though I do not practice any formally because there are no kung fu schools near where I live, I try to learn a lot from videos and books, and kind of do as Bruce Lee said and mix everything up, though personally I am not a fan of MMA fighting and things like that, yes, I know, I'm weird lol. I look forward to learning a lot about the history of Kung Fu here on this forum as I have noticed that everyone here knows a lot more than me. Kung Fu reall captures my heart, I love its spiritual and philosophical roots. I know this is my first thread but I was hoping some of you could answer some questions I have:

-- I like to collect canes, and I was wondering if there is any form of Kung Fu that uses canes. I read an article, found here: http://www.plumpub.com/info/Articles/art_SLcane.htm but I was wondering if anyone could give me some more information, if so I would greatly appreciate it.

-- Also, I do not consider myself a vain person but I cannot help but love the traditional clothing one wears for practicing Kung Fu, I have always found that simple black jacket to be humble yet so powerful. I was wondering if there is any symbolism behind the traditional clothes in kung fu.

Anyway I truly look forward to being a part of this forum and I'm sure I'll learn a lot, and hopefully I'll be able to contribute atleast a little bit lol. Everyone here seems pretty friendly from what I've read. Well, I just wanted to introduce myself as the new guy lol.

Peace

Nice to meet you! You'll definitely find some interesting information on these forums, try not to get discouraged by some of the more dogmatic members.

As for your cane question, there are many kung fu forms that use the cane. The form I know is the Bak Sil Lum Dragon Head Walking Cane set, which is a very efficient and brutal set which blends the unique abilities of the cane with movements similar to the broadsword. Lots of hooking and various gouging and beating moves in that set, it's quite a thing.

If you want to order my GM's video of the set, it's here: http://www.wle.com//products/vsl19.html Though it wouldn't be much use without prior experience in the style and backing by other sets.

zippo_88
05-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome, I've had some negative experiences with forums in the past but everyone here seems really nice. Thanks for the information provided hopefully I'll learn more about these things and many others.

Waddup. Welcome. Guess now, I can pass one the newbie torch?!!!

Hey what's you name mean? Zippo the lighter, class of 88? Just curious.

Oh it's for the Zippo lighters, I don't smoke but I just love those things. I collect them. I really like them, my fascination with them began after I watched the second X-Men movie for some reason that lighter was the coolest part of the movie for me lol. And I've always been kind of a pyromaniac lol just kidding but I like fire lol. So yeah, it's for the Zippo lighters.

Fu-Pow
05-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Run away, very far away from here while you only have two posts.

FP

NJM
05-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome, I've had some negative experiences with forums in the past but everyone here seems really nice. Thanks for the information provided hopefully I'll learn more about these things and many others.

Oh it's for the Zippo lighters, I don't smoke but I just love those things. I collect them. I really like them, my fascination with them began after I watched the second X-Men movie for some reason that lighter was the coolest part of the movie for me lol. And I've always been kind of a pyromaniac lol just kidding but I like fire lol. So yeah, it's for the Zippo lighters.

We all have our strange fetishes, amirite?

SanHeChuan
05-08-2007, 11:26 PM
We all have our strange fetishes, amirite?

I like midget p0rn, Oh wait did I share too much? :eek:

zippo_88
05-09-2007, 04:47 AM
HAHAHAHAHA I thing I'm going to like it here hahahaha

NJM
05-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Was that cane set the one you were looking for?

zippo_88
05-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Was that cane set the one you were looking for?

Oh, um, I think so, I wish I could see a clip or something but yeah I was just looking for styles of kung fu that use a cane. thanks

NJM
05-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Oh, um, I think so, I wish I could see a clip or something but yeah I was just looking for styles of kung fu that use a cane. thanks

If I have some free time I could always film myself doing it :P

zippo_88
05-09-2007, 12:42 PM
If I have some free time I could always film myself doing it :P

yeah that'd be cool thanks. I don't know what it is you know, I like how the cane is such a simple object, kind of a symbol of weakness but it is used in Kung Fu as a weapon.

NJM
05-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Did you read my first post in this thread? ^^

zippo_88
05-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Nice to meet you! You'll definitely find some interesting information on these forums, try not to get discouraged by some of the more dogmatic members.

As for your cane question, there are many kung fu forms that use the cane. The form I know is the Bak Sil Lum Dragon Head Walking Cane set, which is a very efficient and brutal set which blends the unique abilities of the cane with movements similar to the broadsword. Lots of hooking and various gouging and beating moves in that set, it's quite a thing.

If you want to order my GM's video of the set, it's here: http://www.wle.com//products/vsl19.html Though it wouldn't be much use without prior experience in the style and backing by other sets.

This one? yeah

TheSwedishChef
05-09-2007, 09:52 PM
OK. First thing's first. Getting you into some Chinese MA. You're interested in Taiji. Anything else if that fails to avail itself near you?

NJM
05-09-2007, 09:57 PM
http://www.antakungfu.com/schoolnews.html ?

Don't know anything about them, but it'd be something to look in to if it's nearby.

PangQuan
05-10-2007, 11:38 AM
I like how the cane is such a simple object, kind of a symbol of weakness but it is used in Kung Fu as a weapon.

its also great for when you get old, you can carry a cane around even if you dont need it and no one will think anything.

become versed in the fighting methods of the cane and you have a weapon at all times. in addition you can get a cane that doubles as a slim straight blade, in case a cane wont handle business.

zippo_88
05-10-2007, 02:38 PM
its also great for when you get old, you can carry a cane around even if you dont need it and no one will think anything.

become versed in the fighting methods of the cane and you have a weapon at all times. in addition you can get a cane that doubles as a slim straight blade, in case a cane wont handle business.

yeah my thoughts exactly

and thanks for the suggestion for anta's kung fu, it's a bit far from where I live but if all else fails I'm going to try and go there.

And to answer the other question, I'm mainly interested in internal kung fu so Bagua Zhang would be nice but my preference is really Tai Chi.