PDA

View Full Version : Knee injury help, problem kicking

wushuguy2010
05-08-2007, 05:12 PM
I have been training wushu for a while now. At the place I go we do alot of stretching, and one time my knee started doing this thing where it pops whenever you extend it. If i stop for a little bit it goes away, but eventually when I do wall stretches it comes back. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem.

Also, when this started happening, my kicks have gotten much weaker. I can kick in forms, but I have trouble kicking whenever I am sparring or practicing. Thanks

Royal Dragon
05-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Go Get X-Ray/MRI, find out what is wrong, then come back and tell us so we at least have an idea of how to advise you without a licsense.

wushuguy2010
05-08-2007, 05:21 PM
sorry I forgot, they said nothing was wrong I went a couple of weeks ago, it just never quit doing it. There is no pain it just feels like my left leg has become alot weaker

xcakid
05-09-2007, 08:40 AM
I have/had patellar tendonitis. It just recently healed and I notice my right knee now click and pops during twisting movement like when I throw a round kick with left foot and the right knee is planted. It also clicks/pops when I throw crescent kick and front kick with it. Only on air technics though. If I am hitting something I does not click/pop. I was told this was a result of the patellar tendonitis and will fade away in time.

Not sure if its the same for your situation or not. :confused:

I'm not a Dr. but I play one on the net. :D

wushuguy2010
05-11-2007, 10:15 PM
that sounds exactly like my problem. No pain rite? The knee injury doesnt hurt, but i am afraid it will start.

kwaichang
05-12-2007, 03:54 AM
Sounds like over stretching or hypermobility of the knee if the muscles and ligaments are over stretched then this can occur 1st popping and decreased stability in the air, when you make contact you are less likely to fully extend and if you do the co=contractors of the knee help to stabilize. Suggestion wear a sleeve knee reinforcement or wrap it and see if it occurs and let us know, Try straight leg raises and hip abd / adduction from the floor simple ex but effective lay off the stretches that put direct stress on the knee while extended. KC

monkeyfoot
05-12-2007, 04:19 AM
It could be from over extending the joint. I have it in my arm from punching, but have never found a way to get rid of it.....so...

As for the patella tendonitis, this would be my guess straight away. It is really common in active people around the age of 18 to late 20's. I was diagnosed with that aswell (doubled up with a floating piece of cartiledge in the knee) and it hurt like a *****. In the end I went cold turkey for 8 weeks and the knee is pretty much normal now.

good luck

craig

ps: there is also a condition called 'jumpers knee', though I am not sure if this is another name for the above.

mickey
05-12-2007, 07:06 AM
Greetings,

Overstretching can make the knee unstable and vulnerable to injury. Try strengthening your legs with leg curls and extensions. Hamstring work is hard, but it is worth it. I remember meeting a person who only did leg curls and extensions, not doing the squat thing, and his legs were fantastic. He had great strength, too.

mickey

Royal Dragon
05-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Lay off of it for a few weeks, and work upper body skills in the mean time. Then ease back into it and see how you feel then. You might just be over training an area that got tweaked and needs extra recovery time.

kwaichang
05-12-2007, 10:51 AM
PFS patello femoral syndrome Osgood Schlatters and Genu recurvatun are three common injuries ar dx of the knee lay off the Knee extensions do closed chainedex only and HS curls. Probably a trcking problem and hypermobility. If there is no bony floating bodies then try using Ice after each w/o KC

wushuguy2010
07-01-2007, 01:30 PM
yea i think thats what it is. I actually went to another doctor and he told me basicly the same thing as you all said. He told me to do some excersises to strengthen them.

wushuguy2010
07-01-2007, 01:33 PM
actually the doctor told me to do the exact thing mickey said, so i'm gunna see if it works