PDA

View Full Version : "Karate"? On ESPN2

BoulderDawg
05-09-2007, 08:41 PM
I was just flippin channel and I saw "Karate" advertise on ESPN. I flipped over there to check it out..........It was more a form of kick boxing.....very, very bad kick boxing. Something called K-1 Grand prix.

I watched two matches. The first featured this guy who weight 372 pounds. He came out throwing haymakers and after about 30 seconds he could barely stand up. The lighter guy was taking it to him. Then in the second round he stepped into on of those haymakers and the fight ended with the big guy frailing away on him. When the ref stepped in to stop it the 372 pound guy simply colapsed into the ropes. Although he won the big guy had to be carried from the ring. Later it was discovered he had broken his hand and could not continue.

His defeated opponent continued in his place. In the second round of a new match his opponent apparently took a swing and missed and separated his shoulder....:rolleyes:

Anyway, I couldn't believe this was actually on ESPN. It was awful.

golden arhat
05-10-2007, 01:39 AM
there are better k-1 fights
look it up on youtube believe me

cung le fights in k-1 also

bodhitree
05-10-2007, 06:08 AM
k1 has some of the most elite kickboxers in the world. Ernesto Hoost, Jerome Labanner, Crocop, Michael McDonald (not the singer), and many others.

AmanuJRY
05-10-2007, 07:23 AM
Mark Hunt.

Becca
05-10-2007, 11:32 AM
I was just flippin channel and I saw "Karate" advertise on ESPN. I flipped over there to check it out..........It was more a form of kick boxing.....very, very bad kick boxing. Something called K-1 Grand prix...
Different events have different rule sets; it's all still K-1 because K-1 "owns" the event itself. They have San Da, Kick boxing, and Tai boxing formats. ESPN, being the d0rk they are, call it all "karate". Also keep in mind, they only show the last 3 rounds. As these are tury-style events, those fighters have actually gone as may as 8 times and are hurting.:eek: :)

BoulderDawg
05-10-2007, 12:12 PM
What I saw were fighters who were not very good. They were fat, out of shape, didn't know how to kick or punch correctly and just had no business in the ring. They were even talking about another fighter who had eariler broken his leg when he kicked someone in the knee.........

I noticed this was in Japan. I don't think these fights would be sanctioned in the US. At least not in a state with a strict boxing commission.

By the way there is absolutely no way that guy who went 372 had been in earlier fights.:D

rogue
05-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Well you could always get in the ring with fat boy and tell him how out of shape he is, didn't know how to kick or punch correctly and just had no business in the ring. I'm sure you'd have fun.

BoulderDawg
05-10-2007, 02:31 PM
From what I saw I would say the majority of fighters on this board could take any of those guys I saw.

If I was fighting that 372 pound guy all I'd have to do is just stay out of his way for a couple of rounds and by the third he wouldn't even be able to lift his arms.

Did you see the fights or fighters that I'm talking about?

LeeCasebolt
05-10-2007, 10:25 PM
From what I saw I would say the majority of fighters on this board could take any of those guys I saw.

If I was fighting that 372 pound guy all I'd have to do is just stay out of his way for a couple of rounds and by the third he wouldn't even be able to lift his arms.

I guarantee you no one on this board wants to fight K-1 rules against Bob Sapp, Ernesto Hoost, or Jerome LeBanner. The more delusional ones might think they do, but they don't.

Merryprankster
05-11-2007, 06:15 AM
Dude, the fight you are talking about is probably Bob Sapp vs Ernesto Hoost.

Incidentally it does go to show you that size matters....

K-1 is a Japanese promotion, and like Pride is known for pulling some fairly outrageous publicity stunts, with respect to fighting - Royce Gracie vs Akebono (retired Sumo Yokozuna), etc.

Sapp is a well-loved freak in Japan as much for his size as for his fighting. Nobody has ever suggested he's a bad-ass kickboxer, just that he's a big mofo.

Watch some of Remy Bonjasky's fights, some more of Hoost's fights or Jerome Lebanner, and I guarentee your tune will change.

Mark Hunt too, IMO. Not the most "technical" fighter in the world, but he's got a chin made of iron and a wicked set of hands.

CroCop is a certifiable, dangerous bad ass too.

Fracisco Fliho....ah the list goes on!

Black Jack II
05-11-2007, 08:20 AM

What are you...in your teens or something??

Tell your mom to send you some money so you can buy a clue along with your textbooks dude.

monji112000
05-11-2007, 08:39 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9MtjfKlRHYE
is that the fight you are talking about?

well its bob sapp.. what do you expect from him? Iron monkey Kung FU?
you couldn't pay me enough money to fight Bob, or anyone in K-1.

are you nuts? they would kick the **** out of me,( and you and most of the people on this forum). wake up.

Becca
05-11-2007, 08:48 AM
...are you nuts? they would kick the **** out of me,( and you and most of the people on this forum). wake up.
Assuming anyone on this forum made it through the prelims, the 3-5 matches just to get up to the "main event" turny rount.... all in 1 day, I might add. Neither was moving too swiftly, but I know I'd have been a puddle on the floor of the ambulance, so in perspective...

SevenStar
05-11-2007, 09:30 AM

you really have no clue how stupid that post was, do you?

Pork Chop
05-11-2007, 10:22 AM
you really have no clue how stupid that post was, do you?

to give the devil his due i do think that hoost should've done better against sapp.
however, i am going to have to agree with you: that was a dumb post made by someone who's probably never had a real fight their entire life.

Becca
05-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Or someone who doesn't know much about turnement style compatitions. He already said he was just flipping through the chanels and "karate" caught his eye.

bodhitree
05-11-2007, 11:33 AM
to give the devil his due i do think that hoost should've done better against sapp.
however, i am going to have to agree with you: that was a dumb post made by someone who's probably never had a real fight their entire life.

Nogueira said the only person he wouldn't want to fight again was sapp, that was one brutal head spike, although sapp lost due to armbar.

Seven,
Yeah, you called it. That was a stupid post.

BoulderDawg
05-11-2007, 11:54 AM
These are simply very bad club fighters. It looks good becuase these people are equally bad. I googled Sapp....It appears he even washed out of professional wrestling.:-) At the end of that fight when he was pounding on the guy he could barely stand up. Had the ref not stepped in I believe Sapp would have colapsed. Maybe you guys should stick to professional wrestling. It appears you don't know much about boxing.

If this Sapp character ever went up against a top 10 heavyweight he would get hurt badly....maybe even die.

Becca
05-11-2007, 12:09 PM
If this Sapp character ever went up against a top 10 heavyweight he would get hurt badly....maybe even die.

I noticed you mentioned wrestling. Have you noticed that the hard core wrestling turnies, the top guys usually look whipped by the end of it? Does that make them bad wrestlers? or does it make them good athletes that are feeling their fights?

BoulderDawg
05-11-2007, 01:55 PM
To start with Pro Wrestling is a whole different animal. There is no such thing as a "Bad" or "good" professional wrestler as far as wrestling ability goes. If this was so Kurt Angle would be killing everyone.

Wrestling looks for size (Sapp has that)and acting ability (I don't know if he has that or not). Then come athletic ability(Sapp does not have this). My guess is Sapp wasn't in the ring two minutes before he was totally gassed bent over with hands on his knees.

I do have to give props to some of these wrestling guys. Rarely do I see one of them bent over breathing hard. That's part of the show but it's also part of conditioning.

Also, as far as all the K-1 boxers I've seen, if they are so dam good how come they're not in the US boxing? Could it be because they have tried and couldn't cut it?

bodhitree
05-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Also, as far as all the K-1 boxers I've seen, if they are so dam good how come they're not in the US boxing? Could it be because they have tried and couldn't cut it?

Is this a serious comment? Bob Sapp has fought the best fighters in the world in both K1 and Pride. Why would any mma fighter want to fight us boxing?

really? Why? What?

Merryprankster
05-11-2007, 03:49 PM
It appears you don't know much about boxing.

Well it's a **** good thing that Sapp and the other guys aren't boxing then, isn't it?

Water Dragon
05-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Well it's a **** good thing that Sapp and the other guys aren't boxing then, isn't it?

Doh!

man, this character counting thing sux. I can't even 'lol' anymore. Boo!

Mega-Foot
05-12-2007, 07:31 AM
I agree with BoulderDawg. K-1 kickboxing is for chumps, and Bob Sapp is a washed-up (if he was ever any good in the first place) fat boy.