PDA

View Full Version : nintendo MA schools...new trend!!??

K.Brazier
05-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi all,

How do schools take care of students before and after class?

I have seen them sitting down watching videos and playing video games.

Went to visit some tkd schools. Interested in seeing how they run the school from a biz perspective.

This school I went to picks up kids from school and lets them hang out for almost 2hours before tkd class even begins.

It sure is convenient for parents, but the kids just play video games or watch tv.

At one place the baby sitting lady said that they can do their homework when the van brings them in from school and she showed me where the tables are to do that. But I didn't see anyone using them. Maybe I got there too late.

I am wondering if there is anything else that schools do to occupy the time of students while they are not training.

This seems like a big deal for anyone who wants to open a school to consider

Thoughts?

Kevin

http://www.plumflowermantisboxing.com/

NJM
05-09-2007, 09:56 PM
I walked into a USSD once, and I kid you not, there was an obese young man playing Xbox on a bean-bag chair.

Fu-Pow
05-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Better that they're hanging out in the school rather than unsupervised or on the street getting into trouble....not cool during class times though.

FP

golden arhat
05-10-2007, 01:26 AM
Hi all,

How do schools take care of students before and after class?

I have seen them sitting down watching videos and playing video games.

Went to visit some tkd schools. Interested in seeing how they run the school from a biz perspective.

This school I went to picks up kids from school and lets them hang out for almost 2hours before tkd class even begins.

It sure is convenient for parents, but the kids just play video games or watch tv.

At one place the baby sitting lady said that they can do their homework when the van brings them in from school and she showed me where the tables are to do that. But I didn't see anyone using them. Maybe I got there too late.

I am wondering if there is anything else that schools do to occupy the time of students while they are not training.

This seems like a big deal for anyone who wants to open a school to consider

Thoughts?

Kevin

http://www.plumflowermantisboxing.com/

i wonder if thats what brittish MA is going tolook like in 30 years

hmmmm

hope not

**** mcdojo's

K.Brazier
05-10-2007, 06:03 AM
I have noticed a common attitude among several schools that teaching kids is how you keep the doors open so that you can do what you want with some other adults class.

But how does that atitude reflect on the quality of teaching for the kids?

Maybe the teaching is ok. But what I am wondering about what is done before and after class.

Does anyone know of a school where kids waiting for class or parents do something other than play video games and/or watch tv?

Kevin

golden arhat
05-10-2007, 06:07 AM
umm they stretch
do forms etc

B-Rad
05-10-2007, 08:58 AM
If the school is going to double as an after school daycare, then I think having some movies/video games isn't too bad of an idea. Stretching great, but I don't think a little kid is going to do that for a couple hours while waiting for class unless he's unusually mature for his age.

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Why not train them that whole time? My daughter's Gymnastics was anywhere from 2-3 to 4 hours long depending on her age. Once she was on team, 4 hours a day, 4-5 days a week.

She started at age 3

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Why not train them that whole time? My daughter's Gymnastics was anywhere from 2-3 to 4 hours long depending on her age. Once she was on team, 4 hours a day, 4-5 days a week.

She started at age 3

because that kind of drive is rare. if it wasnt you wouldnt be so proud of her.

SanHeChuan
05-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Why not train them that whole time?

Because then they would loose a whole lot of money generating kids. :eek:

Most of the adults don't come for 4 hours a day. :o

I was the only one who didn't work there who did, and I got to spend half the time looking tough and making corrections. :p

My last school had this kind of afterschool program.

The kids had a time for Karate.

A time to study, with assistance when necessary.

And a time to shut up and stay of of the way.

Which did include video games and movies, anything to distract the little damiens. I think the parents are suppose to pick them up after study time, but they are usually late.

My daughter's Gymnastics was anywhere from 2-3 to 4 hours long depending on her age.

Hey, what is the Cost of Gymnastics compared to MA anyway?

SenseiShellie
05-10-2007, 10:24 AM
I walked into a USSD once, and I kid you not, there was an obese young man playing Xbox on a bean-bag chair.

typical. That young man should have been in there working out...not playing video games. Just wait till you hear about the sleepovers...:rolleyes:

SanHeChuan
05-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Just wait till you hear about the sleepovers...

Whats wrong with the sleepovers? Just because they are held by an MA school doesn't mean they have to MA based. It's an opportunity for the kids to come together and bond as a group in a relaxed fun environment. :rolleyes:

Unless they are being billed as some kind of intensive MA instructional. :eek:

I may be a little biased, The only one I attended, I got to cuddle up with one of the 20 y/o (f.) instructors . :p

SenseiShellie
05-10-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm sorry...but from the person organizing it, it can be horrible.

PangQuan
05-10-2007, 12:10 PM
i always liked to see the kids playing games.

physical games. There are so many things kids can do that will benefit thier MA and are just games to play.

Limbo
Racing
Tag
Chase
Hurdling
strength competitions

my favorite MA game is the MA version of "Horse"

more fun with wushuISH type stuff of course.

string combinations of techniques together, modern or traditional. the next person has to match your combo by observing it just once, or they get a letter.

this is a great game to play that will get a competative friendly spirit in the mix, will be practice of your techniques, teaches students to think forthemselves and string combinations they were never taught. It will help them understand how thier techniques can play into each other, and how to do that utilizing stances, posture, momentum, etc.

of course, personally, i would not run a day care in my MA school. so if you want to play games there would not be a TV involved. no electronics.

go do some pushups....

SanHeChuan
05-10-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm sorry...but from the person organizing it, it can be horrible.

Oh yeah, they had two 20 y/o chicks running the kids program, and it was not pretty. :D

Shaolinlueb
05-10-2007, 12:33 PM
these are usually after school programs. and they can bring in a good amount of extra money. i was thinking of doing it, but i need to get all kinds of certifications.

SevenStar
05-11-2007, 02:18 AM
umm they stretch
do forms etc

for two hours? won't happen.

Eddie
05-11-2007, 04:46 AM
this is actually a pretty good idea. Im thinking about starting somehting similar. Would one need to employ a care taker / teacher to help the kids with homework?

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-11-2007, 05:57 AM
because that kind of drive is rare. if it wasnt you wouldnt be so proud of her.

Reply]
LOL!! True, you are right about that!!

Hey, what is the Cost of Gymnastics compared to MA anyway?

Reply]
We had her in one of the top gyms in the country. Tuition was $250-$350 a month for most of her life.

We did that on top of Private schooling too...and people wonder why i don't have a Vette!

K.Brazier
05-11-2007, 07:26 AM
[QUOTE=PangQuan;761709]i always liked to see the kids playing games. physical games. There are so many things kids can do that will benefit thier MA and are just games to play.[QUOTE=PangQuan;761709]

I agree.
Thanks everyone for chiming in with your view points.

I don't have anything against after school baby sitting. Even if it is in a MA school.

I have a 7 year old and I know how it is. I would like a place for him to go after school where he can learn things and hang with kids doing exercise or using their mind.

The problem that I see is that the schools that are trying to make money off this age group do not provide a good service of taking care of the kids through mental and physical development outside of the training time.

That is ok if the parents take the kids to MA class and take the kids home when it is over. But I think it is a different story when the school is offering to 'watch' the kids for an additional several hours.

That is why I ask what the schools do for kids both before and after class. I mean those schools that have this daycare thing going on(even if they don't like to use the name 'daycare').

In Taiwan, my uncles and brothers schools had the kids run around after class or practice other cultural things like CHinese Yo Yo. It is a like gymnastics and juggling at the same time.

For the overall mental and physical development of children's mind and body tv is not to good.

So I don't like to see them used in a place of education where the parent is paying money for an education service.

On another note, doesn't it seem to anyone else here that soda machines and blaring tv's disrupt the focused mind and concentration that a characterizes a MA school?

I get the feeling that a lot of people at the board go to schools that don't have a lot of little children classes.

Kevin

bodhitree
05-11-2007, 07:43 AM
At the dojo I go to www.southhillsjudo.org they have a program wher kids who are at risk (from bad economic background) train for free, the thing being they MUST keep up their grades, and there are volunteer tutors that come to the club. I think it is realy awesome.

If you're too lazy to browze through the site, here is the program I'm talking about:

http://www.southhillsjudo.org/degrees.html

There are some kids that are truely great judoka because of this.

Mega-Foot
05-13-2007, 01:56 PM
I think if more people had Master's Degrees requirements like I do at my Shao-lin Ninjitsu commune, this sort of dilemma wouldn't be so common.

Fu-Pow
05-13-2007, 02:04 PM
A really fun game for martial artists of any age is to kick a birdie/shuttle**** around before class. Take a birdie and glue a quarter to the inside with caulk or glue and that gives it little more weight. At my first Hung Ga school we used to really get into that game and we'd play it like badminton without a net. Great fun and a way to work on the timing and accuracy of kicks and sweeps.

GeneChing
06-16-2021, 08:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_MDYpRTbrg