PDA

View Full Version : Helen liang snake fist (anyone knows)

Snakey
08-21-2001, 10:22 PM
i recently purchased helen liangs emei snake fist from a website I would like to know if anyone has the video and can tell what i can expect from the video?

GeneChing
08-22-2001, 07:59 PM
Be patient, our shipping is usually quite fast. Then you can post what you think when you recieve it. If you've already bought it, I'd hate to spoil it.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

Snakey
08-23-2001, 12:57 AM
Is it a good video hint it to me ????????

Shaolindynasty
08-23-2001, 06:04 AM
You really want to know don't you. Well I'll tell you it's .................. :p

New classes New online Catalog
www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

Scarletmantis
08-24-2001, 02:46 AM
I don't know about the video, but Helen is certainly the most gorgeous lady in Kung Fu I have ever seen... I'm not too interested in Snake Style, but maybe I'll buy her video for the nice scenery! :p

"The essence of life is struggle and it's goal is domination. There are higher goals and deeper meanings, but they exist only within the mind of man. The reality of life is war."

- The Way and the Power

Crimson Phoenix
09-09-2001, 04:39 PM
I already asked Gene about it and he told mee all applications were directed by Liang Shou Yu himself and this form received internal acclaims...I'm sure you won't be disapointed, and I will buy the video when I'm done paying my %$*£ taxes!!
Keep me informed on how you like it!

Snakey
09-11-2001, 08:06 PM
I have the video and watched first off i want to say you get what you pay for if you 25 dollars that is the quality you are going to get now in my opinion her skills are good and so is the form but with this video it is simply impossible to learn the form because she does it to fast and doesnt teach it slowly.What this video is good for is to give you an arsenal of snake fist techniques that can be learned individually from her video.like i said dont try to learn the form because it will be impossible but if your intent on buying the video then use it to learn individual techniques (if you want to learn snake fist forms U MUST GET JIANG JIAN YE OR WING LAM SNAKE THAT IS THE ONLY WAY.

Crimson Phoenix
09-12-2001, 02:02 PM
You can't learn from it??
If I quote the video description they say "She breaks down the set into simple lessons, shot from multiple angles to show all of the nuances of this sophisticated set"...is it so unpractical??

Snakey
09-13-2001, 02:16 AM
Its not the set is unpractical but the way she teaches it.The sets are broken down but its still taught way to fast to learn from.The angles that are shown are mainly from the front and back not very helpfull like i said get wing lam or jiang jian ye.

GeneChing
09-13-2001, 06:43 PM
Thanks for your input Snakey. We always discuss slow breakdowns with the masters when we make videos, but Helen and her father are old school about this - never slow down. To do so compromises the essence of the attack. This is always a sticky issue with making videos since I personally beleive breakdowns are important in this media. Many old school teachers beleive that if your eye isn't fast enough to catch it, you aren't ready (plus - and they always say this - you have slo mo...)

Nevertheless, your points are well taken, especially since I wrote the Lam videos and have been a vendor of Jiang's videos for years for their company as well as www.martialartsmart.com. (http://www.martialartsmart.com.) I think you should get them all! ;)

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher

Snakey
09-14-2001, 03:56 PM
Good point gene but still this is a video and people are sincere about learning a form so you must slow it down.I used the video for learning individual techniques like (serpent seeking food,
serpent entageles to the ground and serpent rides the wind).When i compare my jiang jian ye snake and wing lam to her video there is no match in quality jjy and wle get the gold!!!!!
On a different note does anybody know where i can get the adaption of general's mandate from a movie called snake in the monkeys shadow.
I know wing lam has one but the adaption isnt the
one i wanted.Gene help me out:)

Crimson Phoenix
09-16-2001, 12:06 PM
I only have "Snake in the eagle's shadow"...

GeneChing
09-16-2001, 06:15 PM
I think you misread me. I totally agree that there whould be breakdowns, but who am I to argue with these grandmasters? It's their video - they present what they want to present. But I would like to add one final observation - neither JJY or WL are known for their snake style. It's just a part of their practice. Helen is internationally renown for her snake - she is the inheritor and its her specialty. But like I said before, a true snake fighter would get them all.

Can't help you w/General's Mandate. Sorry. I acquired the WFH soundtrack for WL, then they added the classical. Not sure where you can get it anymore, but you might try searching the net. I know there is a house mix of GM that is floating around now, very amusing....

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher

jun_erh
10-03-2001, 12:35 AM
I have the other snake video, the one w/ Wudang Mt form w/ Bob Klein narrarating. What are the differences between the two?

GeneChing
10-03-2001, 02:24 AM
Helen's is Omei and Yun's (Klein's) is Wudang. I've never compared them move for move but they do seem similar on the surface.
Helen is quite renown for her snake - she also does a water boxing video which requires a slinky type of energy that she excels in. Yun's is interesting but I always fell I'm spending too much time watching Klein muddle through it in the lessons. It's odd to me that a master would want to show himself being taught so, but I suppose it's a good device for training to see another's errors.
I've not tried to learn either form so my review is pretty rudimentary. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher

jun_erh
10-04-2001, 01:24 AM
Thank you very much for your response. I'm interested in the newer video as well. I enjoy the Wudang form. One striking thing about the video is how long it is (90 min) relative to the length of the form, which is a couple minutes/average. :D