PDA

View Full Version : "If you want to break a brick, use a hammer"

kal
05-12-2007, 03:25 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it highly annoying when someone spouts this little piece of pseudo-wisdom?

Are these people just trying (unsuccessfully) to be funny, or are they missing the point entirely. Do they not realise that the objective is not to have the broken bricks or tiles, but rather to develop the skill and ability in oneself to be capable of breaking.

Almost as annoying is the "bricks don't hit back" pearl of wisdom.

B-Rad
05-12-2007, 03:55 AM
Depends on the context.

kal
05-12-2007, 04:44 AM
Depends on the context.

Hi,
The context is generally people making fun of Iron Palm/Iron Hand training.

Mega-Foot
05-12-2007, 05:41 AM
If you want to set the context, use a clearer language to define your parameters.

If you want to make fun of iron palm, ferrouscize your crotch.

B-Rad
05-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Hi,
The context is generally people making fun of Iron Palm/Iron Hand training.
In other words, if someone's doing it as part of a demo, then saying something like that out of the blue in response is kind of annoying annoying and rude.

I don't mind it though if it's in response to someone who spends way too much time on that kind of thing, and they're setting themselves up as superior to other martial artists because they can do a few breaking tricks. Or if it's part of an actual discussion on the topic, because it really is a valid statement. Smashing inanimate objects is a good public demo and can be a confidence confidence builder, but really doesn't serve much purpose other than that. I don't feel it improves real skill any.

Water Dragon
05-13-2007, 11:13 AM
if you want to hit someone in the head, use a hammer

B-Rad
05-13-2007, 11:15 AM
True. Though that could get you into some additional legal problems that a fist might help you avoid :D

B-Rad
05-13-2007, 11:16 AM
http://www.chem.ucalgary.ca/newsletter/JOKE-farside_karate.jpg

:D :D

Mega-Foot
05-13-2007, 01:37 PM
If you want to hit someone in the head with a hammer, hire a lawyer.

If you actually do hit someone in the head with a hammer, make sure you wipe off your fingerprints and then place it in the victim's hands to make it look like a suicide.

golden arhat
05-13-2007, 03:23 PM
If you want to hit someone in the head with a hammer, hire a lawyer.

If you actually do hit someone in the head with a hammer, make sure you wipe off your fingerprints and then place it in the victim's hands to make it look like a suicide.

who would commit suicide with a hammer ?

LOL
just remembered

TEAM AMERICA lol love that movie

sanjuro_ronin
05-14-2007, 04:29 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it highly annoying when someone spouts this little piece of pseudo-wisdom?

Are these people just trying (unsuccessfully) to be funny, or are they missing the point entirely. Do they not realise that the objective is not to have the broken bricks or tiles, but rather to develop the skill and ability in oneself to be capable of breaking.

Anyone that says that bricks don't hit back, has never had a brick whipped at them.

5Animals1Path
05-14-2007, 04:57 AM
I mostly find it annoying when people who obviously don't get what the phrase is saying constantly spouting it off like they're freakin Bodhitdharma or something. On the flip side, it's kinda cool when you realize some of the little sayings should be taken more literally then hippies would have you believe.

Becca
05-14-2007, 09:44 AM

.... I think you are the one missing the point. They are trolling. Trolls are like ferral cats, feed them once and you just adopted them. They want a reaction. You just reacted. Now they will read your posts looking for things you believe in just looking for things garenteed to make you react.

Enjou your new pet trolls!:D

BraveMonkey
05-14-2007, 10:52 AM
I have to agree that it is irksome to have people spout off about how "bricks don't hit back" or "if you want to break a brick; use a hammer." However, I don't find it as annoying as people who think that the power and control used to break a stationary object is the same as that used against an actively resisting opponent. Breaking things is cool, but when it's done it public it's not much more than entertainment and when it's done in private it's only an exercise/confidence builder.

However, if you are very persuasive, you might be able to convince an attacker to bend over so you could chop them good! Then again, if they agree to bend over for you, they're probably expecting a different sort of focused energy.