PDA

View Full Version : Boys of Bak Hsing Fut Gar

Satori Science
05-12-2007, 10:33 AM
I've been telling some of my Sidi that I would put this video together for them for a couple of months now. Well its finally finished and I thought I would share it. Its just a fun video of our young students at my good freind Sifu Tim's first youth tournament back in the fall. Its a cool sample of our beginner and intermediate level patterns.

enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3D0Ju6YfxU

hskwarrior
05-12-2007, 12:20 PM
i'm diggin it.;)

nice choice in music too.:D

CLFNole
05-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Just curious but what's with all the butterfly kicks?

Satori Science
05-12-2007, 01:02 PM
My Sifu added the kicks to the northern forms mainly for training and aesthetic reasons. In the arly 80's his students were competing against a lot of wushu in vancouver before they started splitting the divisions so he added a bit of flare to some of the forms. I asked hm once if I could take them out of one of my forms pre-competion and he said, in his usually blunt and hilarious fashion, "to be honest I really don't care what you do!"

He actually did learn them from a Mizong Lohan sifu and not from any kind of wushu teacher. To my understanding they are traditional kicks in the Mizong Lohan style (correct me if I'm wrong).

We have the kids practice them but for the most part take them out when teaching adults(unless they wan to learn them, but adults usually learn more CLF and it rarely becomes an issue). However Sifu does teach the application for sparring, my Sidi likes to use them as a sort of upper cut reverse axe kick and has been able to make em pretty intimidating as a speciality technique since sifu corrected them.But in sparring I find they look more like an arial cartwheel.

Sifu told me a story about one of his lion dance students, named Michael Lok who teaches Hapkido and lion dance in Vancouver now. He knocked a guy out in a tournament once using a tornado kick, so like sifu frank and sihing Naya said in a thread earlier this week, things can be both aesthetic and practical if used with proper intent. That said, i don't really like to kick at all. I'm much happier to keep both feet on the ground, but the northern forms can be fun as hell!:D

CLFNole
05-12-2007, 01:06 PM
I wasn't sure if everyone doing the butterfly kicks was from your school or not as some of the uniforms were different. I also noticed a lot of the hand slapping of the group in the low leaning stance. This is also from a northern influence as well, right?

It is interesting to see different versions of buk sing as it varies from school to school as to how much of a northern influence it seems to have.

Satori Science
05-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Cool observation! That is one of my favorite things about seeing other Bak Hsing as well, is see to what extent the northern style has influenced them and to see the variety in interpretation.

Sifu has said that he kept all of the CLF exactly as he learned (or as close as the memory has allowed, as its been 22 years since he studied under a teacher) that he has kept all of the CLF movements traditional. But that he has changed the Northern style rather freely. Our forms look completely unique when compared to the others that i've seen.

But because Bak sing only has three forms tradtionally and one weapon set each lineage has taken the inhernet priciples of of Bak Hsing and then created new forms to express those ideas. I am a fifth genration disicple and I imagine there are several sixth gen. as well. So that is six rounds of addition and change the style has seen. I've always said CLF is a thinking mans art (like gung fu in general) and so I get really excitited to see the additions, modifications and unqiues expressions differt lineages have added to the style. Remebering of course that change and modification are the principles the stlye is founded on ie Tam Sam.

Oh and yes the palm slaps are a northen influenced palm training that we only do in the Bak Sil Lum forms.

Cheers!

Ben Gash
05-12-2007, 03:29 PM
I love the Bak Sing northern forms, the expression is so much more martial than a lot of what you see.

nospam
05-12-2007, 08:38 PM
..I really don't care what you do!"

hahaha now where in the hell did I hear that before! :D

And regarding changing things up - when you master your style, everything you do is your style for YOU are the style.

Good shiit bro...

nospam
:cool:

Fu-Pow
05-12-2007, 10:32 PM
LOL.....Bak Sing Fut Gar. Is that what its being called now?

TenTigers
05-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Fu-Pow writes,"LOL...Bak Sing Fut Gar. Is that what its being called now?"

I think that's what it was called then.;)

Satori Science
05-13-2007, 01:22 AM
Not sure why a "so called" taiji player is commenting on arts he clearly knows nothing about. I hope to catch up with you the next time I'm in NYC (i live there from time to time) you may find the reception less than warm.

Cheers Ten Tigers, I saw one of your studnets show out his doa @ Wong 06 last year and was very, very impressed. Clearly some have put in the time and have students who can represent the spirit of southern gung fu.

By the way, "fu-pow" I hear you don't think bak hsing is any good for fighting? Did you learn CLF from a video of a book? I hope we meet sooner than later so you can show me your "style".

Perhaps your so bitter because you don't know anyhting about gung fu and have gotten beaten up one to many times, based on the bull**** I see coming out of your mouth it certainly seems that way.

Don't mean to kill the thread but I tell you "some peoples children have no respect"

hskwarrior
05-13-2007, 06:38 AM
don't let fu pow the hater get to you.

fu pow is so unhappy in his martial arts quest he doesn't know right from left.

he is soooooo not worth our time

thats what his h2h stands for.........have 2hate................

Fu-Pow
05-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Not sure why a "so called" taiji player is commenting on arts he clearly knows nothing about. I hope to catch up with you the next time I'm in NYC (i live there from time to time) you may find the reception less than warm.

Cheers Ten Tigers, I saw one of your studnets show out his doa @ Wong 06 last year and was very, very impressed. Clearly some have put in the time and have students who can represent the spirit of southern gung fu.

By the way, "fu-pow" I hear you don't think bak hsing is any good for fighting? Did you learn CLF from a video of a book? I hope we meet sooner than later so you can show me your "style".

Perhaps your so bitter because you don't know anyhting about gung fu and have gotten beaten up one to many times, based on the bull**** I see coming out of your mouth it certainly seems that way.

Don't mean to kill the thread but I tell you "some peoples children have no respect"

I never said I didn't think Bak Sing was good for fighting. You're obviously misinformed. I do think all you guys are gonna have arthritis when you're sixty but that's another story.

And I still LOL think its funny that its being called Bak Sing Fut Gar as opposed to Bak Sing Choy Lay Fut. Is that to separate yourselves from the rest of Choy Lay Fut?

Like you said, though I'm a Taiji man now, I don't really care, I just think its funny. And your challenge to me and attempts to insult me are pretty funny too.

If there's one thing I do know about Bak Sing players from this forum is that you guys throw around internet challenges like they're going out of style.

Keep it real ninja.

FP

Satori Science
05-13-2007, 09:43 AM
I really have no interest in engaging in a "war of words" at this point.

I would simply point out that for a person who claims to have spent many years training in CMA, the most basic principles of common respect and brotherhood have escaped you!

It is a bit of a bummer, as I started the thread to show my little brothers some love. These guys are the work horses of our school. They compete, demo and lion dance when ever Sifu asks them and rarely get the recognition they deserve as it is the general public who sees them and not other Chinese martial artists who can appreciate what they are really doing.

I always say, my Sidi are the best part of my week, and getting to teach them has taught me as much about my own gugn fu as my solo practice ever could have (plus they do their best to keep me cool as I turn into a bit of an old guy). I've learned more than once that no matter how well I think I understand something, you never really know until you try to explain it to a 12 year old who has never seen it before and has no interest in any of the fancy concepts and language us adults like to throw around. They have taught me that you never really understand something until you have to break it down and make it approachable in simple language.:D

Fu-Pow
05-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Hey look man, you seem like a good guy. No harm intended. I just think that the politicking in kung fu is silly.

FP

CLFNole
05-13-2007, 10:00 AM
The buk sing fut gar name is not something that is new. I believe it is fairly common amongst the buk sing players in Canada (western Canada if I am correct). I think it generally stems from Sifu Lun Chee, but I am not 100% sure about that.

k-no
05-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Nice video,

By the way, don't worry about that fat, balding, can't fight worth a crap Taiji fa6.

I'm sure it's not okay for us to issue a challenge online, but it seems to be okay for snide, tactless idiots like himself to belittle a person or whole style from afar in his bedroom and not expect reprisals.

He is too much of a pu55y to laugh and say it to our face, not a computer. He will get the chance to do that in NYC, if he has the balls to, and we'll see who's laughing afterwards.

k

Satori Science
05-13-2007, 11:45 AM
The Bak Hsing Fut Gar name comes from mine and nospam's Sigung, Grandmaster Raymond Lueng, Di Sihing of Grand Master Tam Fei Pang's Kwoon. Who for reasons that were pertinent in the late 1960's used the name while teaching in Vancouver. Ask anyone from Vancouver who our Sigung is and they will tell you his reputation as a fighter.

My version of history comes from Grand Elder Lung Jee who taught my Sifu and corrected his CLF through out the early 1980's. According to Lung Jee when asked what style he did, Tam Sam always said "FUT GAR, BUDDHA STYLE!" to my understand there are many Bak Hsing people in Hong Kong who refer to their Gung Fu as Fut Gar. Sifu Frank also had some insights on a recent thread that orignally Futsan Hung Hsing called their Gung Fu Fut Gar as well, which would make a lot of sense to me too. Nospam carried on the tradition and flew the Bak Hsing Fut Gar banner under direction from my Sisook Barry Richardson for many, many years.

In our lineage, the school is Bak Hsing Kwoon and the style is Bak Hsing Fut Gar which also aims to acknowledge the additional patterns and theory that come from Master Ku's northern style.

TenTigers
05-13-2007, 02:19 PM
allow me to also add, Fu-Pow,your reference to the Buk Sing guys getting arthritus at an older age is untrue. One of the beautiful things about BSCLF (or BSFG) is the relaxed loose power and full range of motion they display in their forms. This movement maintains range of movement throughout old age, due to the lack of calcification build up in the joints and flexibility is maintained. It also opens up the meridians. This is why you see in HSK's videos, the older guys are still rockin.
Couple that with their badda$$ rep for throwin down, and you have a great combination! -well, in my book, anyway. But that's cuz I'm jaded. Our line of Hung Kuen was greatly influenced by CLF, and some believe it was Buk Sing. Couple that with the fact that I am a known associate of DF of Buk Sing Gwoon,NYC, and you can see why I play faves.:D

Fu-Pow
05-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Well there are exceptions to every rule I guess. ;)

hskwarrior
05-13-2007, 04:26 PM
Look, Fu Pow Is Just A Punk. He's Like Some Tall Supremecist Who Feels What "he" Chooses To Do Is The Greatest.

Based On Fu Pows Fight Vid Clip, I'd Put Max, My Newest Student Against Him, And Max Has Been With Me A Week. That's How Poosie I Feel Fu Pow Is.

Anyhow, He's Not Clf Anymore. So Who Cares About Him. Plus, I Hope He Gets Caught Up With In New York. I Know They're Waiting For Him.:d

Brush Him Off Your Shoulders And Move On. Nothing To Worry About.