PDA

View Full Version : TCM shops in shopping malls or High Street

kal
05-13-2007, 02:46 AM
What do you think of those TCM practices that have sprung up in so many shopping malls or UK high streets?

The biggest one in the UK is called "Dr and Herbs."

Are the doctors there qualified? Are these shops ethical?

I went into one for a "free consultation" which then led to a high pressure hard sell where they tried to force me to pay for 10 acupuncture treatments and 10 weeks of herbal decoctions upfront.

Very very aggressive and high pressure tactics. They even have salespeople at the door accosting passers-by.

Anyone else got any experience with "Dr and Herbs" or similar shops?

bigdoing
05-14-2007, 09:23 PM
....at least the u.k. is open to have that kind of business in a shopping mall. In the good ol' u.s. of a, most people still think this is chinese magic, the drug companys continualy harass alternative treatment, and we have no other option with the exeption of western medicine for treatment on or insurance.

Some insurace accepts accupuncture of pain managment and smaller issues....

Am i correct in you can chose between homeopathic, allotropic or tcm on health insurance?

sorry your getting harassed!!

bodhitree
05-15-2007, 07:48 AM
....at least the u.k. is open to have that kind of business in a shopping mall. In the good ol' u.s. of a, most people still think this is chinese magic, the drug companys continualy harass alternative treatment, and we have no other option with the exeption of western medicine for treatment on or insurance.

Some insurace accepts accupuncture of pain managment and smaller issues....

Am i correct in you can chose between homeopathic, allotropic or tcm on health insurance?

sorry your getting harassed!!

There was a tuina massage place in a local mall (here in the US), they didn't last long. The guys that worked there were really cool, I taught them ESL so they gave me massages for free. I can't comment on other places.

bigdoing
05-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Gene,

I would imagine mall culture in the u.s. is not the best audience to market alternative systems or modalites to........that sounds like a good trade though.....langquage lessons for some tuina....good trade, I know in B.c. in burnaby or burnbary? suburb of vancouver there is a upscale mall that has herbshops etc....but mostly a few generations deep of a large chinese community so no problem in wanting the product.

I hope it changes, Im strarting school in september for tcm here in los angeles.

peace.