PDA

View Full Version : What is this N.Y. Shaolin U-tube Vid?

Fu-Pow
05-13-2007, 01:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GncI4c47iXw

golden arhat
05-13-2007, 03:21 PM
absolute crap ?

Fu-Pow
05-13-2007, 03:24 PM
absolute crap ?

Some might call it that.

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-13-2007, 03:51 PM
I learned almost that exact Kata that the girl was doing, when I was in Chung Moo Quan....

Is this Shaolin, No, it's some sort of Karate with a few crane beak thrown in for fun.

golden arhat
05-13-2007, 04:00 PM
lol check out the french stoner at 4:37

"the sound of the energy.......ommmmmmm" lmao

lkfmdc
05-13-2007, 05:08 PM
I always love the "famous" masters that no one has ever heard of :rolleyes:

totally and utterly craptastic

cjurakpt
05-13-2007, 07:23 PM
he's teaching something banned in China since the 40's? well, if that's true, then the Communist Party was good for getting rid of at least one stupid thing...

Grandmaster Hung? probably a Chinese guy with a real sense of humour...

anyway, dude needs to stop mixing open-style karate forms and cha-nu-fai ga...he also might want to cut down on the caffene intake, 'cause he looks STRESSED OUT (say it like Kramer)!

oh - unlike all other schools, he's not running a business - so I guess that you don't have to pay to train?

I like how he teaches "reverse" punch to the body as a means of taking away someone's will to kick - silly me, thinking that kicking them in the support leg was the way to do that!

S L Martin used American tournaments as a way of proving the effectiveness of CMA? now THAT has got to be the most bizar thing I have EVER heard...

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-13-2007, 07:29 PM
S L Martin used American tournaments as a way of proving the effectiveness of CMA? now THAT has got to be the most bizar thing I have EVER heard...

Reply]
Look close, it's American KARATE tournaments.

cjurakpt
05-13-2007, 07:46 PM

Reply]
Look close, it's American KARATE tournaments.

insult to injury...

TenTigers
05-13-2007, 08:10 PM
believe it or not, SL MArtin taught Mike Steigerwald, who was a very good fighter in open tournaments, and also in forms-albeit their special brand of Kung-Fu..
Well, what can you say? In open tournaments, you have TKD guys in the judges seats, as well as all the other made up garbage tenth degree grandmasters-no offense to Mega-Fist..

lkfmdc
05-13-2007, 09:00 PM
believe it or not, SL MArtin taught Mike Steigerwald, who was a very good fighter in open tournaments,

Do you mean he was a POINT FIGHTER? :rolleyes:

Jingwu Man
05-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Are these the same guys who wrote the "shaolin grandmasters text"? :rolleyes:

Nebuchadnezzar
05-13-2007, 09:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GncI4c47iXw

Good Cardio Workout? :rolleyes:

He does something that psychologists note people do with their eyes when they lie. He did it alot in the closeup shots.

Flying-Monkey
05-13-2007, 11:33 PM
believe it or not, SL MArtin taught Mike Steigerwald, who was a very good fighter in open tournaments, and also in forms-albeit their special brand of Kung-Fu..
Well, what can you say? In open tournaments, you have TKD guys in the judges seats, as well as all the other made up garbage tenth degree grandmasters-no offense to Mega-Fist..

S L Martin is a d!ck.

cjurakpt
05-14-2007, 05:46 AM
Do you mean he was a POINT FIGHTER? :rolleyes:

well of course, duuuh - he was trying to make a POINT about CMA, so where else would he do that? yeesh...

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-14-2007, 07:27 AM
He's got his comments moderated. anyone want to take a guess as to whether or not my comments get posted?

golden arhat
05-14-2007, 07:31 AM
lol thats the funny thing

he has about 9 thousand views but no comments :rolleyes:

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-14-2007, 07:35 AM
http://www.nyshaolin.com/gallery.html

His site mentions some more legit sounding styles. I wonder if he just teaches TKD to the general public, and saves the Kung Fu for those more serious?

golden arhat
05-14-2007, 07:46 AM
http://www.nyshaolin.com/gallery.html

His site mentions some more legit sounding styles. I wonder if he just teaches TKD to the general public, and saves the Kung Fu for those more serious?

nah i know his type of school well
i atrended one for 2 years

except his forms were better

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-14-2007, 07:56 AM
Just trying to offer the benefit of the doubt.

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-14-2007, 08:04 AM
Here is the guy's Bio from his site.

Sifu Lee has been training in the martial arts for over 20 years. He began his training under the direction of Sah-bum-nim Jerry Klienman in the Korean system of Tae Kwon Do, under the auspices of 8th degree Master Yung-Yap Chung. Sifu Lee greatly increased his flexibility and strength during that time, but discovered what he considers a superior fighting art in the Shaolin system.

Shaolin Kung Fu is one of the oldest and most complete systems encompassing weaponry, fighting and forms to come from China. Under the instruction of the renowned Shaolin teacher Master Ed Hampton, "The Returning Dragon". Sifu Lee achieved the rank of Black Belt. He proved his skills on the open karate tournament circuit of the East Coast. Some of these tournaments included: 1991 Dr. Sun's Siu Lum Invitational, 1st place weapons and 1st place forms; 1992 Green Dragon U.M.A.R.A. Open Karate Tournament, 1st place weapons, 1st place forms, 3rd place fighting. 1995 East Coast Tournament of Champions, 3rd place weapons and 3rd place forms.

Sifu Lee also studied Tai Chi Chuan while residing and teaching in Hong Kong. Studying under Tai Chi instructor Sifu Fan, he learned the traditional long form of the Wu-Style Tai Chi Chuan. Since returning from Hong Kong, Sifu Lee has added this traditional form of Tai Chi into his program of instruction.

Sifu Lee has led the The New York City Shaolin Competition Team to victory here in New York and on the east coast from Connecticut to Maryland. The team averages ten wins per tournament and has captured over 160 wins since the school opened in Brooklyn in 1999. These tournaments range from International Chinese Competition to Karate Tournaments, to Open Martial Arts Tournaments, and Full-Contact Events.

Team NYC Shaolin has earned the respect of various schools from their perseverance over the last 7 years.

cjurakpt
05-14-2007, 08:55 AM
somewhere he mentions southern mantis as being a major influence - sorry, it doesn't look ANYTHING like southern mantis, hate to say...

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-14-2007, 09:08 AM
It looks like Korean Kong Su do/Tang Su Do, TKD to me.

PangQuan
05-14-2007, 12:05 PM
anyone here personally know this guy?

anyone ever meet him before?

i say if the answers to these questions are 'no'....then who cares

cjurakpt
05-14-2007, 12:07 PM
anyone here personally know this guy?

anyone ever meet him before?

i say if the answers to these questions are 'no'....then who cares

I heard that he used to come 'round and do his dance of sweet disco love; otherwise, no, never met him

PangQuan
05-14-2007, 12:07 PM
hehe...

i bet that dance gets the blood movin! :eek:

MasterKiller
05-14-2007, 12:15 PM
He should fight this guy!

http://www.newyorkshaolin.com/home.html

Fu-Pow
05-14-2007, 12:36 PM
How come the worst schools/teachers always have the best websites/photos/videos?

FP

lkfmdc
05-14-2007, 12:36 PM
I want to see a three way death match in the cage between those two and the "real" Shaolin monks in NY... :rolleyes:

Fu-Pow
05-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Wow I found this little nugget of wisdom from that website MK posted (bolds are mine):

"WHAT IS SHAOLIN?

"If your primary interest is tournament skills, I advise you to seek your training elsewhere! Most of what you will learn here is too lethal for tournament use. I teach the ancient system of Shaolin Do, "Art of survival, not of sport." As did the immortals, we should learn to destroy, so that we may preserve! It is a way of truth. The knowledge I offer you is not an athletic training, it is a sacred trust."
- Shaolin Grandmaster Sin Kwang Thé"

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Well, at least he admits it's not for competition, or athletics. Too bad it's too poetically written for a newbie to get.

MasterKiller
05-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Wow I found this little nugget of wisdom from that website MK posted (bolds are mine):

"WHAT IS SHAOLIN?

"If your primary interest is tournament skills, I advise you to seek your training elsewhere! Most of what you will learn here is too lethal for tournament use. I teach the ancient system of Shaolin Do, "Art of survival, not of sport." As did the immortals, we should learn to destroy, so that we may preserve! It is a way of truth. The knowledge I offer you is not an athletic training, it is a sacred trust."
- Shaolin Grandmaster Sin Kwang Thé"He left out "See you at the Annual Sin The' Karate Tournament!"

lkfmdc
05-14-2007, 12:47 PM
"WHAT IS SHAOLIN-DO?

"If your primary interest is usable self defense skills, I advise you to seek your training elsewhere! Most of what you will learn here is flashy crap inspired by grade b kung fu movies. I teach the ancient system of Shaolin Do, "Art of capital, not of quality." As did my teacher, I learned how to suck guilable fools in, so that I may grow richer! That is a the honest truth. The crap I offer you is not an authentic martial art, it is a ridiculous scam."
- Shaolin Grandmaster Sin Kwang Thé"

Well, at least they are honest about it :D

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Lol!!!!

>....................................<

TenTigers
05-14-2007, 01:50 PM
The teacher is not to blame, as he is second generation. For all he knows, he is doing Kung-Fu. Guys like him, were taught by people who told them what they did was Kung-Fu, and in the seventies and eighties, these were the only guys out there-except a few. They had good "form" not good forms-meaning they had strong stances, strong striking, good focus,all of which requires intensive training., just not authentic Kung-Fu. And all things being equal, they were strong competitors. Sure it was point fighting, but that's all there was at the time.
By the way, I am not defending bullsh!t systems, just saying that it's not his fault(although he could open up a book...)I AM still bitter. I have had my students do traditional CMA and get beat by someone doing some snake crawls up the rat's a$$ form, because they had cartwheels and flips, and the judges were TKD guys.
And we have all seen the guy with the custom made yin and yang dashiki ,harem pants (or whatever those things MC Hammer wears) cartwheel himself into the winner's circle in tournaments. Thank the Godz for TCMA tournaments.

Fu-Pow
05-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Hey, who changed the title of my thread....****ing dictatorship!;)

godzillakungfu
05-14-2007, 02:49 PM
He should fight this guy!

http://www.newyorkshaolin.com/home.htmlHow did I know you would find that link.:)

He left out "See you at the Annual Sin The' Karate Tournament!"'
No, he didn't. That's a west school in the East. No ties to the "Sin The Tournament."

BlueTravesty
05-14-2007, 11:00 PM
I've seen better... but I've also seen worse. If nothing else, the intent is there... but he does two things that really bug me... first, in the weapons forms, his eyes tend to follow the weapon. If you look down before trying to sweep my knee out with a staff, I'm more likely to catch on and guard low... his stances are nice, but he tends to let his back slope forward on some of those horse stance transitions.

As a whole, their forms have more of a staccato "pop" characteristic of JMA and KMA, though some of them have similar "shape" to CMA... the girl from 7:38-8:27 in particular, looks VERY karate-ish... I was waiting for the kiai... but then, some believe that's characteristic of "real" shaolin anyway, so go figure :rolleyes: