PDA

View Full Version : Goblin Kung Fu

The Xia
05-14-2007, 07:48 PM
This is a spin-off of the "Obscure Kung Fu Animals" thread. I once heard of a Bak Mei form with "goblin" in the translated name. One poster mentioned "Shaolin earh goblin boxing”. I'm wondering if "goblin" is just a foggy translation for "yaoguai". If it's not, then there are goblins in Chinese mythology lol. But logically, I would see them as a type of "yaoguai". Anyone know if goblins exist in Chinese mythology? If so, do you know anything about Kung Fu styles (or parts of Kung Fu styles) based on goblins? How's about that Bak Mei/goblin reference? Videos are welcome.

SevenStar
05-14-2007, 08:57 PM
I want to say I have heard of a staff form which had "demon" in it, but not goblin.

Jingwu Man
05-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Shaolin has a Yesha gun and a Yesha quan form.
Yesha is the Chinese version of Yaksha, a Buddhist earth demon.

Called 5 evil spirit staff for some reason here, even though the Chinese characters say Yesha Gun.
http://www.plumpub.com/sales/vcd2/coll_shaolin9.htm

Sal Canzonieri
05-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Shaolin has Earth Goblin form.

It's shown in the Shaolin Enyclopedia, it's from Qing Dynasty.

Sal Canzonieri
05-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Shaolin has a Yesha gun and a Yesha quan form.
Yesha is the Chinese version of Yaksha, a Buddhist earth demon.

Called 5 evil spirit staff for some reason here, even though the Chinese characters say Yesha Gun.
http://www.plumpub.com/sales/vcd2/coll_shaolin9.htm

Ye Cha is how it is spelled, and it means vampire (night ghost with forked teeth)

But Ye Cha is a buddhist saint in India also.

The Xia
05-14-2007, 09:24 PM
I want to say I have heard of a staff form which had "demon" in it, but not goblin.
"Mad Devil Staff" is a famous Hung Fut form.

The Xia
05-14-2007, 09:25 PM
I take it that "goblin" isn't a mediocre translation for "Ye Cha"?
If so, then what are the characteristics of Chinese goblins?

BruceSteveRoy
05-15-2007, 06:57 AM
i believe it was alluded to in the obscure animals that the characteristics are:

small furry and adorable. mischevious, big ears, big eyes.
can't get wet, can't be fed after mid night.
known to trash small american towns around chirstmas season.
known to make really terrible sequels.

PangQuan
05-15-2007, 08:54 AM
you know, i have read that many scientists believe that peoples that were remnants of the neolithic and the earlier neogenic era were the cause of many goblins/trolls and such stories.

especially in areas such as the british isles, such as the peoples that the picts had battled with before becoming the major inhabitants of said isle and before being driven out by the celts (i believe)

might be something similar to where the ideas of goblins come from in china as well.

but who really knows

Sal Canzonieri
05-15-2007, 12:03 PM
you know, i have read that many scientists believe that peoples that were remnants of the neolithic and the earlier neogenic era were the cause of many goblins/trolls and such stories.

especially in areas such as the british isles, such as the peoples that the picts had battled with before becoming the major inhabitants of said isle and before being driven out by the celts (i believe)

might be something similar to where the ideas of goblins come from in china as well.

but who really knows

Genetically, MOST of the "white" (non-african, asian, etc) people from the UK are most in common with people from spain (from the basque and central iberian areas).

So that means that when the original people who populated the islands first were taken over by the Anglo Saxons, Romans, and so on, only the leadership changed, and they didn't mix in with the locals.

So, the new leadership brought in new customs and new languages to the point that the original ones disappeared completely in only a few generations, but the 'people' remained pretty much the same as they were, some gene pool mixing happened but not in huge amounts that matched the loss of language, etc.

Same happened when proto-koreans became what is now japanese. The evolution of the language outpaced the evolution of the local genes.
Though the languages changed fast and old customs disappeared swiftly, the gene pool changed very slowly.

Sal Canzonieri
05-15-2007, 12:13 PM
I take it that "goblin" isn't a mediocre translation for "Ye Cha"?
If so, then what are the characteristics of Chinese goblins?

one way to say goblin in chinese is

Xiao Yao Jing,

Little Supernatural (or Weird or Strange) Spirit

Sal Canzonieri
05-15-2007, 12:15 PM
The asian goblin shark is named so because it fits description in japanese and chinese of goblins there:
small creature with a long nose and ugly jaws full of teeth

MasterKiller
05-15-2007, 12:36 PM
i believe it was alluded to in the obscure animals that the characteristics are:

small furry and adorable. mischevious, big ears, big eyes.
can't get wet, can't be fed after mid night.
known to trash small american towns around chirstmas season.
known to make really terrible sequels.

those are Gremlins, dude.

BruceSteveRoy
05-15-2007, 12:41 PM
goblins, gremlins, whatever. probably just both referred to as mogwai

brothernumber9
05-15-2007, 12:47 PM
asian goblin shark.

as opposed to any other 'race' of goblin shark.

A cheap dig I know, so forgive me. A goblin shark is a goblin shark.

To bring this back to relevance, I've never heard of any goblin form of any discipline, although a goblin form of kung fu sounds really wicked.

PangQuan
05-15-2007, 01:13 PM
asian goblin shark.

as opposed to any other 'race' of goblin shark.

A cheap dig I know, so forgive me. A goblin shark is a goblin shark.

To bring this back to relevance, I've never heard of any goblin form of any discipline, although a goblin form of kung fu sounds really wicked.

i think you have to be good at stealing and taking things apart. the one weakness.....shiny objects.