PDA

View Full Version : Returning To Training

NAT32
05-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Would welcome comment on anyones experiences regarding returning to training after a long period of absence - about 3 years ish.

The complications thrown at me by modern life has meant that i havn't trained with any effort for about 3 years.

I find i can remember all of the forms i was taught - including variances from teachers/lineages. I know exactly how i wish to execute my techniques but when it comes to actually making my body do what my brain has asked it to - it sort of goes a bit wrong! The quality of my technique, position, speed etc. is pretty dreadful and incredibly frustrating.

Words of Wisdom would be greatly received

PS. I recognise a number of names on this forum from when i use to post here when actively training - you would not believe how good that is to see!!

couch
05-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Would welcome comment on anyones experiences regarding returning to training after a long period of absence - about 3 years ish.

The complications thrown at me by modern life has meant that i havn't trained with any effort for about 3 years.

I find i can remember all of the forms i was taught - including variances from teachers/lineages. I know exactly how i wish to execute my techniques but when it comes to actually making my body do what my brain has asked it to - it sort of goes a bit wrong! The quality of my technique, position, speed etc. is pretty dreadful and incredibly frustrating.

Words of Wisdom would be greatly received

PS. I recognise a number of names on this forum from when i use to post here when actively training - you would not believe how good that is to see!!

Take your time and just have fun with everything again! Feel how good it is to move around and express yourself!

I am sorry that you've had a rough go for the past 3 years. But I do hope that where you are now in your life...you can have a real good go at it again.

I second Vic's post...stretch, move and have fun with your passion.

Best,
Kenton Sefcik

Wu Wei Wu
05-15-2007, 05:02 PM
a great opportunity to rebuild a firm foundation based on only the best habits. you have knowledge of Wing Chun and therefore already have bodily awareness. be patient in rediscovering your root. cultivate your base slowly.

you may want to recall any poor habits that you used to have so that you avoid their repetition this time around.

i commend you in wanting to come back to Wing Chun. too many good people are being lost to other arts.

Fuzzly
05-15-2007, 05:51 PM
I'm having over six months of absence due to an ACL tear/reconstruction I had to have, complete with a big mess-up by the hospital that was supposed to help me get rehab. I would call and call to get some scheduled, and they kept saying "we'll call you back" or "Oh, we're working on it."

After 2 weeks scar tissue had formed, and it made rehab even harder. I'm just now where I can start training again. And I'm finding that stance work is very hard. Also, since I've been walking weird, my back is messed up. I'm fixing that with stretching/chiropractor (I really like this one, he fixed me up last time).

Don't be afraid to take breaks. I received my original knee injury while sparring+tired. I was pushing myself, but while it's good to do so, you up the risk of making mistakes and injuries.

Matrix
05-16-2007, 07:38 PM
As a good friend of mine just reminded me.
Just have fun. :cool:

It will all come back in time. Just enjoy the journey.
I know it sounds cliché, but it's true.

NAT32
05-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the advice, i am having to take it slowly as i am classed as a beginner at the new shool i have enroled at - which is good for me as it's the basics that i need work on.

I am just desperate to roll hands again:) rather than spend hours doing chain punches and stance training - but unfortunately it's the hours of chain punches and stance training that i need.

You are right on the enjoyment - really getting a buzz