PDA

View Full Version : what makes a great instructor?

still_learning
05-15-2007, 12:08 PM
Hi all,

I have read the forums for a long time and thought i would make a post. I have trained for a long time and will soon be instructing.

I wondered if anyone had any tips or if people could say what they think makes an instructor shine - and i will see what i can take on board!

Many thanks

xcakid
05-15-2007, 12:14 PM
I am not being sarcastic, but the answer is someone YOU can learn from.

When I decided to come back to MA. Took me 5yrs to find a sifu I can learn from. Although I have really not been actively searching, but I stop off a school every now and again. Try out a lesson or two. Ask a question here and there. Never found one who fit MY mold of an instructor I can learn from.

You can have the best teacher, MA out there, but if YOU cant learn from him/her. that is the worse instructor you can have.

Also finding a style that suits you will help.

Look around, go with the one you are comfortable with and are impressed with.

sanjuro_ronin
05-15-2007, 12:15 PM
If a student of mine ends his/her "journey" thinking " I did this myself with some help from my instructor", then I did my job.

BraveMonkey
05-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Although I agree with the other two posts, here are some specific things that I personally think are important qualities in an instructor:

1. She/He is honest with the students about what she/he knows. If you need to look something up or if you just don't have the answer a student is looking for, be up-front about it. If you find that you are drawing a blank too often, then maybe you aren't ready to be a solo teacher.

2. He/She watches out for the students and makes sure that they respect one another. You shouldn't tolorate bullying or macho BS that makes the school a hostile place to learn.

3. She/He is a superior martial artist, but does not act as if she/he is a superior human being. Humility goes a long way and, if you know your stuff, your students will recognize that and (hopefully) emulate your approach.

4. He/She genuinely wants to share the art. You can't sit in the back room counting your money while student-teachers do all the work. Even if you have too many students to work with each one individually, they should see you regularly and understand that you are there to guide them to personal success. You are the representive of your art. To many of your students you ARE your style of kung fu, or karate, etc. That's a big responsibility.

I think those are some reasonable expectations for a good teacher.

1renox
05-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Since I have a great sifu---
He doesn't hold anything back.
He tell's the truth about the art and fighting.
He wants me to be as good as I can be.
He enjoys teaching.
His personal life is above reproach and reflective of his position.
He earns respect though example, not just because he has rank.
He explores other arts and does not belittle them for any reason.

BruceSteveRoy
05-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Since I have a great sifu---
He doesn't hold anything back.
He tell's the truth about the art and fighting.
He wants me to be as good as I can be.
He enjoys teaching.
His personal life is above reproach and reflective of his position.
He earns respect though example, not just because he has rank.
He explores other arts and does not belittle them for any reason.

that sounds right to me.

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-15-2007, 02:12 PM
The best instructor's are capable of extracting largest sums of money, from the highest percentage of people in the class.

Merryprankster
05-15-2007, 03:19 PM
1. Open instruction with no "secrets" taught to some students and not others.

2. Details are sussed out, explained and taught with an emphasis on proper execution and why (ie, what happens if you don't do it right).

2a. Variations are taught given that there is no one "right way," but sound mechanics all built on common themes.

3. Maintains a class atmosphere that is no-nonsense, where the student/instructor roles are clearly defined, and the time to work and time to socialize/play are clearly separated.

4. Fun is emphasized, but goofing off is actively combatted.

5. Expectations about standards of behavior while in the classroom are clear.

6. Does not give lectures about "life according to the instructor." You didn't pay to hear an hour of personal philosophy bull****. If you want enlightenment, the church/mosque/temple/philosophy class is somewhere up the road.

7. Takes joy in their work and in the success of their students.

8. Is unafraid of probing, challenging questions.

This is apart from the requisite knowledge.

TenTigers
05-15-2007, 04:19 PM
compassion. The ability to realize that every student is an individual, with individula needs,abilities, and potential, and the willingness to bring out the best in each student. They are people, not numbers.
-also should own a Harley, several guitars and a stack of Marshalls.

cjurakpt
05-15-2007, 04:46 PM
wants you to be better then he / she is

does not teach out of a need for self-validation from others (e.g. - it's not about them, it's about the teachings)

very clear boundaries and impecable behavior towards students (e.g. - no foolin' around w/any one, no business deals, no psycho drama)

highly conscious of students' safety in all ways at all times during training

continually evolves their own practice over time

cjurakpt
05-15-2007, 04:52 PM
If a student of mine ends his/her "journey" thinking " I did this myself with some help from my instructor", then I did my job.

I told my sifu once that there are times that I've actually forgotten that he is my teacher; he was very happy to hear that...

still_learning
05-16-2007, 01:18 AM
thanks for the advice everyone - some good stuff i hadn't thought of.

Thankfully for all I am not in it for the money! As long as there is enough to cover the hall rental and print a few posters/leaflets i dont really want to take any money for myself - would rather use it on the club and equipment.

5Animals1Path
05-16-2007, 03:18 AM
What everyone else said, with RD's point cut in half. Gotta make da monies.

yutyeesam
05-16-2007, 06:34 AM
A good teacher knows how to handle diverse needs in a single class.

A good teacher will have good people skills.

A good teacher will ask you questions constantly (Socratic method)

A good teacher knows how much and how little to say.

sanjuro_ronin
05-16-2007, 07:00 AM
Now, all a good teacher needs is a good student.

I think those are even rarer.

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-16-2007, 08:01 AM
Or lots of really bad students with $$

sanjuro_ronin
05-16-2007, 08:15 AM
Or lots of really bad students with $$

There's always that way.

MA are not designed for the "class environment", it requires too much tinkering and a reduction in "quality control".
It can be done, sure, but even in those cases you will only have a handful of truly "good" practioners, the rest will be sub-par.
And that's ok for many, not all do MA for fighting, in which case sub-par is fine for them.
I prefer the old method of training, one teacher, select students.

eomonroe00
05-16-2007, 08:46 AM
the only thing i wanted to add, is that i look for someone fascinated by the art, and who obviously knows his stuff, there are many out there who are good teaches but dont inspire, i personally need to be inspired. the instructors i look up to,inspire, push, motivate, you can just tell they live and breathe the art and live to share it and teach others, others might be great teachers, but if they come off unmotivated or not driven, than i am not driven, maybe its me, maybe its a weakness, but thats where i am at today

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-16-2007, 08:49 AM
Nonsense, many styles were for training troops en'mass. It's all in how you do it.

I don't think you can pass the internal aspects to a large group, but you can get fighters ready to fight faster than you think with large groups. It may even be easier because of a large variety of partners available.

Mastery of the art, and reaching the top level skills is what requires you to walk the path alone.

Also, It's not what is taught that matters as much, as *HOW* it's taught.

A good coach can build skills no matter how big his class is. A bad coach could have the Rolls Royce of fighting, and never get it out the garage...

sanjuro_ronin
05-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Nonsense, many styles were for training troops en'mass. It's all in how you do it.

I don't think you can pass the internal aspects to a large group, but you can get fighters ready to fight faster than you think with large groups. It may even be easier because of a large variety of partners available.

Mastery of the art, and reaching the top level skills is what requires you to walk the path alone.

Also, It's not what is taught that matters as much, as *HOW* it's taught.

A good coach can build skills no matter how big his class is. A bad coach could have the Rolls Royce of fighting, and never get it out the garage...

Did you actually read ALL my post, like this part:
" It can be done, sure, but even in those cases you will only have a handful of truly "good" practioners, the rest will be sub-par.
And that's ok for many, not all do MA for fighting, in which case sub-par is fine for them. "

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Sorry, I guess i just focused on part of your post.

cjurakpt
05-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Now, all a good teacher needs is a good student.

I think those are even rarer.

my teacher likes to say that a good student has 3 qualities:

1) they come to the teaching with an open heart (trust)

2) they verify for themselves what they are being taught (skepticism)

3) they stick with it when things get difficult (perserverence)

dharmastudent
05-16-2007, 11:58 AM
"3. She/He is a superior martial artist, but does not act as if she/he is a superior human being. Humility goes a long way and, if you know your stuff, your students will recognize that and (hopefully) emulate your approach."

This is very important. I just recently changed teachers to one who is incredibly skilled and very humble. My previous teacher was also incredibly skilled but was very into being "the master." After a few years of that, I decided I had enough and moved on.