PDA

View Full Version : The patter of tiny Punches.

Mr Punch
05-15-2007, 11:57 PM
Today, at 11:45, after a gruelling 56 hours of labour, my wife gave birth to a delightful, healthy, 3812g (8lb 6oz), 54 cm, baby girl. We have named her Eleanor (絵玲奈).

She gave a couple of little cries while they were messing her about, and has now settled in to adjusting to the world around her.

(ON TOPIC!) She already seems to have the hang of the open guard, and although she has big hands she seems to favour palms over fists just now, though I'm sure she'll be up for a bit of grip training soon. She's quite big so as soon as her legs get a little longer I'm sure we can work on closed guard. She's not really focussing just yet, so the sensitivity all good martial artists need is already well-developed I think. In another week or two she should be punching harder than most kung fu fighters!

:D

TenTigers
05-16-2007, 12:03 AM
happy(tiny punch) happy (tiny punch)!!! Congrats!!!!

Toby
05-16-2007, 12:10 AM
Congrats to you and your wife, M.

Samurai Jack
05-16-2007, 12:41 AM
Wow this is great news. Congrats Mr. Punch. So you gonna have her learn MMA and not Aiki? 'Cause while I hear that most fights go to the ground, I think she's probably better off just tossing the buggers out of her crib!

:)

CFT
05-16-2007, 01:54 AM
Great news! Congratulations.

Beginner
05-16-2007, 02:02 AM
Welcome to the world of dad & moms. Also happy milk making at sleepless nite.
Congrats on your good fortune of your new borne!

Nick Forrer
05-16-2007, 03:09 AM
congratulations Mat. Best wishes to you and yours.

laugarkuen
05-16-2007, 03:18 AM
Congratulations. I hope she doesn't affect your training time like my son has. Still, pretty soon he can train with me :) .

This your first?

monkeyfoot
05-16-2007, 03:38 AM
hey congrats mate, I wish you all the best with the parenting, teenage years and the inevitable hassle of her bringing back a guy you ****ing hate :D :D :D

good stuff

craig

Ironpig
05-16-2007, 04:17 AM
Congrats!

Now the world changes.

Dr Browns bottles, Boppy, taking down all unstable shelving and anything on the floor will go into the mouth.

This is your future.

Best of luck and fortune for you and yours!

Welcome in little punch!

- Rabu

Oso
05-16-2007, 05:13 AM
Congratulations!!!

sanjuro_ronin
05-16-2007, 05:16 AM
Congrats dude, as the father of one little angel and another due this August the only advice I have is that, they didn't ask to come into this world, we brought them in, the very LEAST we can do its make them our priority over anything else.

BruceSteveRoy
05-16-2007, 07:05 AM
congrats mr. and mrs punch. cool name. you never expect to get your a$$ kicked by someone named eleanor. i can't wait til one day on the play ground she is getting picked on by some boy and she beats him senseless and he has to tell all of his friends that it was eleanor punch that did it.

Shaolinlueb
05-16-2007, 09:45 AM
congrats and goo luck with your new baby.

SevenStar
05-16-2007, 10:07 AM
congrats! when should we expect to see her competing?

drleungjohn
05-16-2007, 10:58 AM
I hope Mommy,baby and you are doing fine-because the days of sleep and free time are over for the next 3 years--

God Bless and prayers of health and happiness to you and famil!!

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-16-2007, 12:50 PM
congratulations dude. dont let these guys get to you either .... its not so bad. babies dont suck up all that much more time than women and they are always appreciative and their happiness always makes you happy. like little furless puppies.

TenTigers
05-16-2007, 03:19 PM
as the father of probably dozens of kids, I can tell you there is no greater feeling!

golden arhat
05-16-2007, 03:34 PM
congratulations man !! :D

bodhitree
05-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Congrats man, 56 hours holy hell, your wife should be punching!

Mr Punch
05-17-2007, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Wow this is great news. Congrats Mr. Punch. So you gonna have her learn MMA and not Aiki? 'Cause while I hear that most fights go to the ground, I think she's probably better off just tossing the buggers out of her crib!

:)Of course, I'm not going to force her to learn anything... but I'm pretty sure since she'll have been exposed to training from a very early age she'll develop a bit of an interest, and I will start her off in something, and then at least she'll have a good grounding if she decides to quit when she's at an age to decide herself.

I'm figuring judo from early on... BJJ might be cool too, but depends on what's around. I wouldn't get her in aiki from a young age: the locks and throws are generally more damaging on the joints than judo, and it's less practical unless you want to teach all the serious tanren taiso which I would... and then it's too hardcore. And I wouldn't start a kid on a serious striking art either, so that's boxing and wing chun out - too much stress again punching things, or too much wrapping and not enough focus on the right way to punch without protection for young hands (and of course, I don't think her mum will be into her boxing! Unless of course, she copies me... :D ;)

First, call me a traditionalist but I think basics basics basics: identifying her own hands and feet, realising she can draw lines in food and thus ultimately change her environment, walking, talking, potty training and that kind of thing will come first!:D

congrats! when should we expect to see her competing?Probably before me at this rate! I might have to resign myself to being one of those great coaches who's never fought.

PangQuan
05-17-2007, 09:31 AM
congrats and good job !

_William_
05-17-2007, 08:22 PM
Congratulations!!!!

Samurai Jack
05-18-2007, 12:19 PM
I Think that sounds like a great plan, Punch, my man.

I started in judo myself as a young lad, and the lessons have stuck with me more than anything else I've ever trained in. I'll be starting judo again as soon as I reach shodan in aikido, time permitting.

I havn't done judo in fouteen years, I think, but just a few months ago I was doing free randori between classes with a few aikidoka and without thinking I threw someone with Osoto Gari. My partner was like "What the hell was that?", and Sensei yelled from his office (Mind you he can't *see* the mat from his office!), "Judo! Again?!"

Maybe he just knows me too well.