PDA

View Full Version : Taiji learning rejiment

Takuan
05-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Hi all!

I suppose an introduction is in order: I'm Mark, a 19 year old college student, and Taiji is my life now! I took TKD for about 4 years, and then realized it wasn't working for me per se, then I was turned on to the CMA scene and found that Taiji is the most wonderful thing ever! :P I have now been training in Yang Style for about 3 years, along with workshops here and there to broaden my horizons.

Now for the topic: I was wondering what type of system your schools use (Progression of forms etc.), just as a curious pondering. :D

As a sort of official syllabus at my current school (we are very informal and tend not to stick to any particular timeline, so the syllabus is kind of a guideline depending upon individual growth) we go in order:

10-step Yang
24-step Yang
32-step Straight Sword
37-step Yang
Yang Family Broadsword

Then it generally branches off into whatever our Sifu thinks we should learn XD

But I think it will be neat to see what kind of different opinions and examples people have trained under!

cjurakpt
05-16-2007, 05:11 PM
there's a 10-step Yang? I didn't think you could possibly parse down the 24 any further...

Takuan
05-16-2007, 05:20 PM
there's a 10-step Yang? I didn't think you could possibly parse down the 24 any further...

yeah.. haha it's very very new, I can't remember the exact year at the moment, but was created to make it even simpler and basic. (If you can live with the word 'simple' and taiji in the same sentence -.- )

TCosta
05-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Hi Takuan. At my school, Great River Taoist Center, training proceeds as follows:

1. Cheng Man-Ch'ing 37 form - Principles and Mechanics
1a. Breathing coordinated with form
1b. Applications practice
2. Push Hands (after about a year)
3. San Shou (prerequisite of zhan zhuang for 30 minutes)
4. Either Sword (Jian) Form and swordplay or Michuan (empty hand) Form, depending on what is available and what is appropriate for the student. Michuan form gives more tools for use in san shou. Sword form puts focus on correcting and strengthening structure. Eventually there should be instruction in staff, possibly fan (in Michuan system).

Hope this helps.

-Trevor