PDA

View Full Version : a day of setting records

SevenStar
05-17-2007, 11:40 AM
my gym has something going on called the try-athlon, which is basically an intra-gym competition. there are several events, and the idea is to pick three you feel you can do well in and compete against others in them. I picked crunches, pushups and balance - all ma should have balance, right?

the current record for pushups was 65. I did 60 consecutive ones in 45 seconds, stopped briefly and knocked out 11 more, setting a new record.

the record for crunches was 48. once again, I did 71.

the balance thing was wild. you put your knees on a stabili-ball and hold your balance for as long as possible. it took me a minute to find my balance, but once I found it, held it for 3mins and 28seconds. the previous record was 45 seconds.

afterward I hit the weights and got two new PRs - 335 on bench and 455 on the squats.

I wish I coulda done dips and pullups, but i'm not man enough for as those. the record for them was 42 and 24, respectively.

I may start adding in ball work. you can really feel that thing working the adductors while you are trying to balance.

sanjuro_ronin
05-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Congrats on you success ! You smell terrific !
:D

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-17-2007, 12:57 PM
congrats man. i cant imagine a better day. you must still be pumped. do you find yourself telling people who could care less about your new PR when you just cant contain it? not even to brag ... but just cause youre so **** happy.

you know .... you outweigh me by 100lbs. which means all your lifts should be a good bit higher than mine and they are. this makes sense. but there is no reason you should be so much better at pushups than me. i have new goal.

Royal Dragon
05-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Congrats!!

the current record for pushups was 65.

Reply]
Really? That is it? When I was 10 years younger I had a freind who was in the Marines. he told me they were supposed to do 100 pushups in 2 minutes. So I made that my goal. It took me 8 months to hiit it, but I did. My daughter still laughs at that because she used to do that and more vertually every day.

Sadly, i can do about 30-35 now though...because I am old, and fat....

I did 60 consecutive ones in 45 seconds, stopped briefly and knocked out 11 more, setting a new record.

Reply]
WOW, that is quick to do 60!! Try pacing yourself about 1 a second, and see how many you can do before you collapse. I bet you will do more than 100 in 2 minutes.

bodhitree
05-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Congrats seven

IronFist
05-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Is there a pullup event? Invite me next time.

lol.

Seriously tho, nice job. I always thought it would be cool if my gym had something like that. I'd only compete in pullups, tho.

edit - the record is 24 pullups? n/m. My record is 17. But that's 17 full range pullups, as in like, my elbows were locked between reps (I always have to mention that cuz some guy once was like "17? I can do 17. That's easy." I was like "alright, let's see." And then he goes and busts out 17 pullups but only coming down 1/2 to 1/3 of the way down. I was like please :rolleyes: )

And you are a stud for benching 335 AFTER DOING 71 PUSHUPS! That would be like hitting a PR in squat after doing a ton of Hindu Squats, ie. hard as hell. Hence, you are a stud.

Is it divided into weight classes?

stricker
05-20-2007, 03:59 PM
fun :)

great numbers too!

SevenStar
05-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Is there a pullup event? Invite me next time.

lol.

Seriously tho, nice job. I always thought it would be cool if my gym had something like that. I'd only compete in pullups, tho.

edit - the record is 24 pullups? n/m. My record is 17. But that's 17 full range pullups, as in like, my elbows were locked between reps (I always have to mention that cuz some guy once was like "17? I can do 17. That's easy." I was like "alright, let's see." And then he goes and busts out 17 pullups but only coming down 1/2 to 1/3 of the way down. I was like please :rolleyes: )

And you are a stud for benching 335 AFTER DOING 71 PUSHUPS! That would be like hitting a PR in squat after doing a ton of Hindu Squats, ie. hard as hell. Hence, you are a stud.

Is it divided into weight classes?

age groups, but not weight classes. the 24 pullups was in one minute though... some guy biked 5 miles in 8 minutes. I found out later he actually has competed in triathalons.

Anyway, back to being a stud now. :cool:

Pk_StyLeZ
05-23-2007, 09:38 PM
got picture or better description of the balancing one?
i dont quite understand...but grats on ur records man

SevenStar
05-23-2007, 11:54 PM
if I can't find one online, I will take a pic of myself doing it. basically, sit on your knees on the floor, posture upright, similar to sitting in seiza. now, imagine doing that on top of a ball.

WinterPalm
05-24-2007, 11:29 AM
After balancing on the ball for a couple practices, it becomes very east. Next you have to do shoulder press, curls, or throw a medicine ball to a training partner...that is what I like to do. Try one knee, or standing!

Adventure427
05-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Awesome day Seven!

Congrats...we should have a KFO competition ^_^

SevenStar
05-24-2007, 04:25 PM
After balancing on the ball for a couple practices, it becomes very east. Next you have to do shoulder press, curls, or throw a medicine ball to a training partner...that is what I like to do. Try one knee, or standing!

yeah. there is a guy who can squat 225 while standing on a ball. I can't think of his name right now.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Awesome day Seven!

Congrats...we should have a KFO competition ^_^

im down. id get killed on a lot of things, but i dont have to play to win to play at all.

viper
05-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Im more then keen ive already been doing training like that every now an again ill test myself. Would we use weight classes i only weigh 135.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-26-2007, 11:23 PM
weight classes are for the weak :)

viper
05-27-2007, 03:29 AM
I am very much against the weight class thing but thought i best enquire. Would we able to pherhaps make it a lil harder eg wearing a weight vest for the ball balance.

IronFist
06-16-2007, 11:22 AM
age groups, but not weight classes. the 24 pullups was in one minute though.

Wait, as in like, you can break as much as you want as long as you finish within one minute?

SevenStar
06-17-2007, 07:33 PM
u can't really break too much in 60 seconds...

Mr Punch
06-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Sounds like a cool competition. Grats.