PDA

View Full Version : hung kuen ground work

still_learning
05-18-2007, 04:24 AM
Hi All,

Just wondering as its not something i have seen, but does Hung Kuen have any ground work forms?

If so, any names or descriptions?

Thanks

Mulong
05-18-2007, 07:43 AM
If I may ask, what do you mean by groundwork, i.e., BJJ? For example, the butterfly palm set, contains legs locks executed from the ground and a tiger tail kick; however, most of theories executed upright can be modified for ground use.

still_learning
05-18-2007, 08:39 AM
yeah, specific ground fighting techniques that are part of hung kuen - that may have their own chinese name and not arm bar or triangle choke. Or even a full 2 person sparring set made for ground work.

or is it really a stand-up style?

Mulong
05-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Sincerely, hongquan doesn’t really possess those particular elements that you are asking for; however, most techniques can be employ in a ground fighting format, i.e., with the assistance of experience shifu.

In closing, hongquan and most Chinese martial arts are 90% upright. However, styles like Five Ancestor and Dog Boxing do contain ground fighting elements, but don’t except them to be similar to BJJ.

Golden Arms
05-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Very little groundwork in the Hung I study. But the bridge work, angles, overall athleticism and structure it builds translate to the ground pretty intuitively, as well as counter wrestling/grappling.

Satori Science
05-29-2007, 02:56 PM
one of my Bak Hsing brothers trains Yee's Hung Ga in NYC these days, his sifu (the name escapes me but he is a disciple of Yee Chi Wai) actually took the Hung Ga bridging theory and directly applied it to ground fighting. They have a whole MMA section to training/fighting at their school.

Mulong
05-29-2007, 06:27 PM
You are referring to Matthew Blazon, who has a shoot fighting background, beside his hongquan training.

Erasmus Mingatt
06-17-2007, 03:39 AM
Golden Arms,

Where/with whom do you study your Hung Kuen/Hung Ga? What school?

Thanks.

EM

David Jamieson
06-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Hung Kuen is not wrestling.

How much work on 360 degree tornado kicks do you put in at the bjj class?

:rolleyes: