PDA

View Full Version : Other Nations Influence on CMA? vice versa?

bodhitree
05-18-2007, 04:51 AM
Please don't flame, I'm just curious.

China is a country with a long history of international trade/ travel. The silk road passed through many warrior kingdoms.

Did CMA learn anything from Greco-Roman or Arabic martial systems?

I forget the details but I remember reading the stories of the huge Russians coming to fight little kungfu masters. Were there any exchanges of ideas with Russians?

Do any other nations on the silk road have anything similar to kungfu in their traditions?

I know Persians are known for their wrestling.

Did Persian wrestling influance Shuai Jiao? Did Shuai Jiao influance Persian wrestling?

Just curious, please don't flame.

Fighting is fighting the whole world over, humans for the most part have the same number of limbs, but there are differences in the training styles. I'm just curious to see how these may have spread and how the cultures may have exchanged ideas.

(I try to keep my training methods as modern as possible so PLEASE DON'T FLAME, THESE ARE JUST CURIOUSITY QUESTIONS)

NJM
05-18-2007, 03:12 PM
I believe that the late mesopotamian cultures may have contributed technology which forwarded the martial arts, but I'm not sure about the martial art itself.

SPJ
05-18-2007, 06:56 PM
yes, there are many examples.

1. moslem chinese or hui; such as Tan Tui; moslem wrestling/Shuai Jiao.

2. Mongolian Shuai Jiao. they were popular in Qing royal palace, too, there was a Shuai Jiao camp/ Ying.

Chinese wrestling as a sport dated back 2200 years ago all the way back to pre- Qin warring states etc. there was somemural painting that dated back to stone age, too.--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuai_jiao

all the people in the great grasslands; they practice Shuai Jiao, horseback archery and horse riding in holidays and since young kid in every day life, They migrate and live in tents. They have/herd sheeps etc.

3. Japanes pirates with samurai swords harassing the coast during Ming dynasty. General Qi Ji Guang modified samurai sword into Miao Dao etc and trained soldiers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miao_dao
--