PDA

View Full Version : Kansas Kung Fu

RFM
05-18-2007, 07:20 AM
I've been out of the MA world a long time mostly due to schedule constraints, but not so much anymore and I'd like to get back into practicing and teaching.

I use to teach in San Antonio (some of you remember me, I used to post a lot a few years back) but now I am in Kansas, the Ft Riley area and would like to find someone to train with and teach (free of charge of course). You could say that I am looking for an accountability partner.

Is there anyone who is interested on this board and lives in the area? I am not interested in studying a new art, I want to rekindle my passion for the one I already learned.

Email me at redsash96@yahoo.com

Peace,
Bob

YiLiQuan1
05-18-2007, 07:48 AM
Bob,

I used to be stationed at Ft Riley (95 - 99). If you haven't found out already, the place is a wasteland when it comes to martial arts training.

Beware of the TKD school in Aggieville (if they're still there). They used to have a guy teaching there that currently lives in Tennessee (I think) who has been the source of many a raised eyebrow due to his outlandish claims.

Beware also of a White Dragon kung fu "master" living on the far east side of Manhattan (at least he did when I was there). He used to have fliers all over Aggieville advertising his training in a list of arts that simply defies belief... You'd know him on sight - fat, white haired, trailer-park dweller. He taught out of his double-wide when I was there...

I'd say, if you're interested in teaching, contact MWR and see about teaching a class on post. I did, and I had about 20 students, all for a VERY low fee (imposed, primarily, because MWR claimed they HAD to charge something, even if ridiculously low), and we had a ball.

Good luck.

RFM
05-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Matt,

Thanks for the info. There is a lot of TKD around now, good schools from what I can tell. Have not seen anything on KF since I arrived in 2000 (just missed each other), but then again, I wasn't looking. When I got to Riley, I went straight to the field and pretty much stayed there for my tour before getting out and settling in the area.

I'd give MWR a thought, but I think most folks would be more interested in the Combatives that are being taught to soldiers now (lots of BJJ), though I hope to wrangle a few, not a lot of students, but a few (keep it special).

Peace,
Bob

YiLiQuan1
05-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the info. There is a lot of TKD around now, good schools from what I can tell.

None were good when I was there... They were self-promoting, deluded folks with ongoing "suspension of common sense" issues.

Have not seen anything on KF since I arrived in 2000 (just missed each other), but then again, I wasn't looking.

With luck, the guy I mentioned finally packed up his trailer and moved on, or at bare minimum realized he was defrauding everyone with his claims...

When I got to Riley, I went straight to the field and pretty much stayed there for my tour before getting out and settling in the area.

I can understand... I worked in Patton Hall (that'll mean something to you), and later at 937th EN Gp. Didn't do much field time at all, but I watched folks rotate back and forth constantly...

I'd give MWR a thought, but I think most folks would be more interested in the Combatives that are being taught to soldiers now (lots of BJJ),

I'm a MACP Level 2 instructor. It's a great program. I've been doing Xingyi/Taiji/Bagua stuff since 1985, and I'm a staunch traditionalist, but I have to confess that it's mostly useless for training Soldiers. The MACP stuff is exactly what the Army needs, and is an outstanding adjunct to anyone's training.

Good luck in your search. If you happen to be in the Claims Office ever, say hello to Mrs. McVey for me... I haven't seen her in years.

Matt Stone