PDA

View Full Version : Learning Martial Arts Solo???

zippo_88
05-18-2007, 09:48 AM
There aren't a lot of martial arts schools in my area other than Karate and TKD which I'm just not into at all, no offence to anyone who practices either art. I have been wanting to study a bit of Jeet Kune Do, my true passion though is Tai Chi, but I strongly believe in what Bruce Lee said about not confining one's self to one style. Anyway, is it possible to be called a student of Jeet Kune Do/learn Jeet Kune Do by yourself, from books and videos? What about Tai Chi, I keep hoping but I don't think it's possible to be a student of Tai Chi on your own is it?

BraveMonkey
05-18-2007, 10:17 AM
The good news is, you can learn a lot on your own. The bad news is, it's pretty hard to improve if you don't have anyone to push you to improve and it's hard to know what works when you don't have anyone to test yourself with.

It's kind of like learning a language. You can read books, listen to tapes, and make flash cards, but if you don't have another person to talk to, it's all just theory that exercises your brain. Same with the martial arts. Also, without an experienced practitioner to correct you, you're inevitably going to do some things poorly without knowing it.

If you are pretty much set on training without a teacher/school, at least find someone you can work with regularly to test what you know. That said, if you have a least a basic MA background and know rudimentary body mechanics, you can still build good strength and reflexes with time and dedication on your own.

zippo_88
05-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Thank you very much, the comparing it to learning a language made it ver clear. I would love to go to a school but since I can't I am going to try to learn all I can on my own in Jeet Kune Do and Tai Chi. I have 5 years of experience in TKD, so according to what you said that should help me a bit right?

BraveMonkey
05-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Yes, it will help. Having a foundation to build upon is invaluable. Good luck.

SevenStar
05-18-2007, 11:45 AM
find the best karate of tkd school in the area and go there. Is there a judo club in the area? the best training available is better than trying to self learn, even if it is not the style you are interested in. You will never actually be GOOD by trying to self teach yourself.

Since you do have a base in something, you will be more likely to pick up on the subtleties of the motions and techniques, but it's not the same as learning under a competent teacher..

SanHeChuan
05-18-2007, 11:53 AM
I second Seven

bodhitree
05-18-2007, 12:08 PM
I suggest using videos from

www.martialartsmart.net

They are high quality;)

golden arhat
05-18-2007, 12:12 PM
find the best karate of tkd school in the area and go there. Is there a judo club in the area? the best training available is better than trying to self learn, even if it is not the style you are interested in. You will never actually be GOOD by trying to self teach yourself.

Since you do have a base in something, you will be more likely to pick up on the subtleties of the motions and techniques, but it's not the same as learning under a competent teacher..

fully agreed

not only that but training in the best you can and mixing it with what u already know

to best fit you
is the essence of JKD

"the perfect form of self defence differs for each person" -bruce lee

BraveMonkey
05-18-2007, 12:24 PM
I don't think he's asking if it would be "better" to train in a school rather than alone. It sounds like he does not want to study in the schools around him and he wants to know if it is worth the effort to self-study.

I agree that it would be better for him to have people to work with and a teacher(s) to guide him, but he has already rejected that option. If he really doesn't want to go to one of the available schools, I would advise him to visit them and seek out people who would like to work with him on a regular basis so that he can practice what he is self-studying. They could meet in a park or at the Y or some other open space.

I wouldn't say this is the best option ever, but I would disagree that he should go to a school he doesn't like to study and art he doesn't want to learn since he will only learn to dislike it more and be a real drag for the people he's working with. There is room for a compromise between having no contact with a martial arts school and being fully enrolled at one.

xcakid
05-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Take a look at this:
Choy Li Fut (http://plumblossom.net/distance.html)

zippo_88
05-18-2007, 12:52 PM
I don't think he's asking if it would be "better" to train in a school rather than alone. It sounds like he does not want to study in the schools around him and he wants to know if it is worth the effort to self-study.

I agree that it would be better for him to have people to work with and a teacher(s) to guide him, but he has already rejected that option. If he really doesn't want to go to one of the available schools, I would advise him to visit them and seek out people who would like to work with him on a regular basis so that he can practice what he is self-studying. They could meet in a park or at the Y or some other open space.

I wouldn't say this is the best option ever, but I would disagree that he should go to a school he doesn't like to study and art he doesn't want to learn since he will only learn to dislike it more and be a real drag for the people he's working with. There is room for a compromise between having no contact with a martial arts school and being fully enrolled at one.

Thanks bravemonkey, that's exactly what I meant. I just don't like Karate or TKD, though I continue to study TKD for the exercise it's just not my cup of tea, so I am restricted to learning the arts I DO want to learn on my own. Thanks for the advice.

Peace.

SanHeChuan
05-18-2007, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't say this is the best option ever, but I would disagree that he should go to a school he doesn't like to study and art he doesn't want to learn since he will only learn to dislike it more and be a real drag for the people he's working with.

I doubt he has fully investigated these other schools/styles. It sounds like he rejected them, not based on their own merit, but because they weren't part of his preconceived notion of what is "best". He doesn't want to train at these other schools because he is not open to the possibly that they have something good to offer.

If he opened up his mind and gives them A genuine chance, he might be surprised.

And what kind of community doesn't have Tai chi? :eek:

RFM
05-18-2007, 01:10 PM
I am in agreement with the others and I would add one other piece of modern technology that may help get some more input - a camera (vid or digital) and your computer. Practicing infront of a big mirror helps, but looking at yourself can be distracting not to mention throw your posture off. However if you tape yourself and then play back for review and compare that to whatever notes/books/vids that you have, you'll have better feedback for yourself.

If you can hook up with another person who knows a style of MA your are interested in, you can also correspond back and forth and send emails, etc...

Peace,
Bob

BruceSteveRoy
05-18-2007, 01:17 PM
you live in miami and you can't find a school?
is there another miami?

this guy teaches tai chi
http://www.kungfuconnection.com/

this guy does hung gar and from a good school too
http://www.yeeshungga.com/miami/

divine fist kung fu is in miami and they teach tai chi but they don't have a website.
there are plenty more i am just strolling through miami's yellow pages. and i gurentee there are more that aren't advertised.

i don't know naything about any of the schools so they might not be great. but if you want to learn tai chi it looks like you have a number of schools to choose from.

SevenStar
05-18-2007, 01:18 PM

who says that's what will happened? I didn't want to start taking longfist kung fu - I had been training jkd and muay thai. After I started longfist though, I liked it. I'm back in muay thai now, but I didn't dislike kung fu, nor did training it make me dislike it more. He won't know until he tries it. instruction is better than video any day. I would rather have real, instructor taught karate training than learn by video kung fu training for a number of reasons.

SevenStar
05-18-2007, 01:20 PM
you're in miami? there are several florida CMA on this board - I'm sure they could point you somewhere.

PangQuan
05-18-2007, 01:53 PM
who says that's what will happened? I didn't want to start taking longfist kung fu - I had been training jkd and muay thai. After I started longfist though, I liked it. I'm back in muay thai now, but I didn't dislike kung fu, nor did training it make me dislike it more. He won't know until he tries it. instruction is better than video any day. I would rather have real, instructor taught karate training than learn by video kung fu training for a number of reasons.

I agree fully.

it often comes back to the whole "its not the art, its the practitioner"

on a very basic level martial arts are martial arts no matter how you dice it.

learning first hand from someone very experienced will provide you with more long term positive effects than trying to teach yourself something that will require elements you cannot teach yourself.

BraveMonkey
05-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Look, I think it's been made pretty clear that he would be better off with a good teacher and with peers to work with. He doesn't like his options and wants to study by himself. I don't think (I or anybody else) had said anything to the contrary.

Since we can't read the future we can only guess if he would have a positive experience by going to a school he isn't interested in. He wants to study on his own, despite plenty of advice to the contrary, so what is best course of action given the road he's chosen to take?

PangQuan
05-18-2007, 02:34 PM
best option:

realize he has not chosen the best road. make due and teach himself what he can.

THEN spend A LOT of time in the future when he finally does decide to find a teacher un learning all his bad habits.

unfortunately these are the breaks.

you cannot teach yourself taiji....wont happen. you might be able to mimic some movements you see on a dvd, but it wont be taiji

zippo_88
05-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Ok...um...thanks for all the advice. I probably should've mentioned that the Kung Fu Schools Miami does have are all very far from where I live. And I do go to a TKD school and have been going for 5 years, I only continue to go because it's a good exercise but I still do not like the art which is why I wanted to pursue Tai Chi and learn a little of Jeet Kune Do, but my options are rather limited because of where I live in Miami.

zippo_88
05-18-2007, 02:36 PM
best option:

realize he has not chosen the best road. make due and teach himself what he can.

THEN spend A LOT of time in the future when he finally does decide to find a teacher un learning all his bad habits.

unfortunately these are the breaks.

you cannot teach yourself taiji....wont happen. you might be able to mimic some movements you see on a dvd, but it wont be taiji

Yes, I have always understood this which is why my main point was about Jeet Kune Do.

PangQuan
05-18-2007, 02:40 PM
if i were you zippo...i would work mainly on conditioning and basic stuff.

keep your body in good shape, strong, flexible, etc... then really try to find a taiji teacher.

it seems your leaning toward the taijiquan, and thats great, but i can tell you now that will one tough cookie to crack solo.

just keep working what you know, mess around with the JKD concepts and drills. even learn some intro taiji drills.

but during all this really really look for a teacher. you may have one around you that just doesnt have a school.

check you local YMCA, or other public health/exersize outlets, often there will be someone around you with at least minimal taiji experience they can share. its a pretty spread art.

PangQuan
05-18-2007, 02:44 PM
i know im sounding a tad bit to critical, but IMO learning taiji solo wont happen.

JKD drills, concepts, techniques. sure, go for it, have a blast. get a heavy bag and some other drill tools and work till you drop.

you sound like a young guy. taiji will always be there when you find the right outlet for it. read as much as you can, watch videos, learn as much about principles and concepts as you can from text and spoken word on video.

even learn a form or two.

at some point you will find your teacher.

zippo_88
05-18-2007, 03:22 PM
i know im sounding a tad bit to critical, but IMO learning taiji solo wont happen.

JKD drills, concepts, techniques. sure, go for it, have a blast. get a heavy bag and some other drill tools and work till you drop.

you sound like a young guy. taiji will always be there when you find the right outlet for it. read as much as you can, watch videos, learn as much about principles and concepts as you can from text and spoken word on video.

even learn a form or two.

at some point you will find your teacher.

Thanks PanQuan, I didn't find you critical at all, and yeah I'm going to give doing JKD stuff on my own a shot while I keep looking for some Tai Chi instruction

SanHeChuan
05-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Move closer to a good school.

BruceSteveRoy
05-18-2007, 03:33 PM
also try checking craigs list. i know around here there are a couple of martial arts schools that advertise on it. but also there are people that teach free classes, people looking for training partners, and very often chinese community centers will advertise classes and use craigs list bc they don't have a 'school' just the community center. its worth a try to scan it once a week or so and see what is in your area. or you could even run an ad that you are looking for a training partner and see if anyone responds. just a thought.

PangQuan
05-18-2007, 04:16 PM
also try checking craigs list. i know around here there are a couple of martial arts schools that advertise on it. but also there are people that teach free classes, people looking for training partners, and very often chinese community centers will advertise classes and use craigs list bc they don't have a 'school' just the community center. its worth a try to scan it once a week or so and see what is in your area. or you could even run an ad that you are looking for a training partner and see if anyone responds. just a thought.

this is a great idea!

zippo_88
05-18-2007, 04:56 PM

Good idea, I didn't think of that