PDA

View Full Version : Chan Tai San and muliple styles.

rogue
05-18-2007, 06:57 PM
The following quote got me thinking...

Although the Grandmaster had taught Parrella many styles, including The Tibetan Lama Pai Style, Bok Mei (White Eyebrow style), Monkey Style, Mok Family Style, and others, the Choy Lee Fut Style is his favorite.

Just wondering how Chan Tai San taught multiple styles. Did he have separate classes, teach different styles to different people or just kind of presented each style depending on what he felt like teaching at that time? Of course these aren't the only possibilities.

Also how do other Chinese instructors teach multiple styles?

bodhitree
05-18-2007, 07:04 PM
He taught me only Judo Katana in a secret temple.

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-18-2007, 07:23 PM
bodhitree,
You forgot to log out, and then log back in as Mega Foot...UR BUSTED!!!! :D

bodhitree
05-18-2007, 07:25 PM
bodhitree,
You forgot to log out, and then log back in as Mega Foot...UR BUSTED!!!! :D

I'm only a third dan in Tai Shing Pek Kwar, Mega is a 10th dan.

bodhitree
05-18-2007, 07:31 PM
don't you remember this:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=758285&postcount=58

bodhitree
05-18-2007, 07:34 PM

Master Zhang Yun teaches seperate classes for Taiji, Xingyi, bagua, and tongbei.

He's the only real CMAer I know.

Lama Pai Sifu
05-19-2007, 05:15 AM
The following quote got me thinking...

Just wondering how Chan Tai San taught multiple styles. Did he have separate classes, teach different styles to different people or just kind of presented each style depending on what he felt like teaching at that time? Of course these aren't the only possibilities.

CTS taught two primary styles - Choy Lay Fut and Lama Pai. Some students trained in either one or two of those styles. These were the core styles that comprised most of his teaching and the ones he spent most of his life learning/training.

CTS began learning Hung Kuyhn at age 8, began Choy Lay Fut at 13, Bok Mei and Hung Fut in his 20's and Mok Ga and Lama Pai in his 40's, it's not very hard to conceive that he was extremely skilled in several styles. Most teachers don't keep learning for nearly as long as he did. As far as i know, he was still training, well in to his late 40's with his primary teacher, Jyu Chuyhn and also exchanged knowledge with people his met in his travels.

Some students learned these other styles as well, but more as a supplement to either Choy Lay Fut or Lama Pai. Here is an example:

I spent most of my time learning Lama Pai, then Choy Lay Fut and back to Lama. During that time, I also learned a few Bok Mei forms. I wanted to learn Bok Mei because I had read so much cool stuff about it; but at the time (1980's) I hadn't really seen much of it. I learned some Bok Mei forms over a 3-5 year period and did so while learning CLF and LP. CTS usually Preferred that you did one style, but I had asked him repeatedly to teach me BM. He didn't teach it to me for at least 2 years of me asking - and quite honestly, the only reason he started teaching me, was that someone had come to him and paid to learn it - but the guy was too inexperienced so CTS asked me to learn it with him (to help him).

He has some students whom he only taught northern styles to, either Cha Kuyhn or Ngok Fei Pai.

He has some students he selected to learn Hung Kuyhn (not WFH Hung Ga) and Hung Fut.

Some students learned Mok Ga almost exclusively.

When you went to his apartment to train, you might see 7 different styles and 12 different forms being taught in front of you. If it was daytime, in the summer - we'd be at the church by his house. Nightime, the roof of his apartment. If it was cold - the inside of his apartment, where you had to share a couch with 5 people and wait your turn because the living room was 125 square feet.

All students learned forms and applications. Students who stuck around the longest and were the most dedicated, leared history and fighting stategies. Some learned basic to advanced Heih Gung (chi gung for you evil Mandarin speakers) and skills like Iron Palm and Iron Claw/Finger training.

I'm a Lama and Choy Lay Fut guy. I learned more than I would ever need and most likely will ever teach. I learned about 4 Bok Mei hand forms and 2 Bok Mei weapon forms. I learned some Mok Ga, some Monkey some nothern stuff (which I never really cared for) and some misc. forms from a few different styles.

I think it's a bit confusing to learn many different styles. I enjoyed doing it, but I think it's confusing to most people. CTS did it over a 30+ year period and he also trained day and night. For me, I like to use some techniques from the other styles, when it comes to fighting, but 95% of what I practice, teach and fight with is my two main styles, CLF and LP.

I hope this sheds some light and clears up any misconceptions that people may have about CTS and multiples styles - as most teachers don't really train/teach more than 1 or 2.

Sidebar: Most of the teachers (Chinese) that came to this country way back when, did so when they were young; teens and twenties. Most didn't have that much experience, some only 2-4 years training by then, - they never got a chance to train as long as a guy like CTS. He didn't come here until his 70's.

lkfmdc
05-19-2007, 08:24 AM
I spent 16 years with Chan Tai San, never thought Choy Lay Fut was his "favorite"

He had two primary styles, Choy Lay Fut and Lama Pai

WHO said this???

Mega-Foot
05-19-2007, 09:04 AM
I'm only a third dan in Tai Shing Pek Kwar, Mega is a 10th dan.

I don't know why it is so hard to remember. I am Eight Dan of Tai Shing Pek Kwar under Master Sensei Takeshi Ukeno (current 10th dan after the transferrence of the danship under Chan Tai San--hence, Grandmaster Sensei Ukeno). I am only acting 10th Dan when Grandmaster Sensei Ukeno is back in Japan on leave.

cjurakpt
05-19-2007, 09:52 AM
I spent 16 years with Chan Tai San, never thought Choy Lay Fut was his "favorite"

He had two primary styles, Choy Lay Fut and Lama Pai

WHO said this???

the quote was from Mike's website, referring to what he learned from Sifu, and that CLF is Mike's favorite style - just hard to get out of context of the entire thing

Lama Pai Sifu
05-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Chris is right, it is a quote from ME, saying that it is MY favorite. Although, I do think it was Sifu's favorite also. Do you think he liked Lama more, or CLF more? (directed at CJ and DR)

Mega-Foot
05-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Definately TSPK, but of course, that's just my opinion.

cjurakpt
05-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Chris is right, it is a quote from ME, saying that it is MY favorite. Although, I do think it was Sifu's favorite also. Do you think he liked Lama more, or CLF more? (directed at CJ and DR)

that's a good question - I don't really know...

Mega Foot - you need to get some new material - the whole thing with Jet Li Fearless and giving him ninja advice was very funny, but this whole CTS / TSPK thing is getting a bit played out; (unless you are Gus, then we understand - but you type too well for that - I'm also thinking you might be Neil, given the attitude towards women, the digs at Dave)

Lama Pai Sifu
05-19-2007, 12:50 PM
At least Mega-Foot's humor is intelligent and fairly well written. Albeit he is annoying at times.

rogue
05-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Michael, Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response. :)

Lama Pai Sifu
05-19-2007, 01:17 PM
No problem. I hope that clarifies things...

SanHeChuan
05-19-2007, 01:25 PM
My sifu studied Hung Gar before Severstar mantis, at least I think that's the order. He also teaches Yang style tai chi.

He teaches the Mantis and Tai chi in separate classes. The Hung Gar he throws in a form at a time, mostly to his top students. I don't think they get the whole curriculum just a few key forms, but what do I know.

He plans on teaching the hung gar ring set in a seminar for whoever wants it. I Think that came about because a student with prior experience wanted to do Iron palm training, and he said you had to do Iron arm First (personal preference I Guess) so the Hung gar set would be an augment or lead in for those doing Iron Arm.

I think he teaches a Hung gar chi gung set in the tai chi class also. Other that that the only hung gar forms I've heard he teaches is the five animal, or tiger crane set?

He also teaches Wah lam Mantis along side the Sevenstar, mostly as a lead up. There are some very shot Wah lum sets, that use very low stances, good training for a beginner and everyone else.

Anthony
05-19-2007, 05:16 PM
"For me, I like to use some techniques from the other styles, when it comes to fighting, but 95% of what I practice, teach and fight with is my two main styles, CLF and LP."

Where do you fight or what type of venue?

Lama Pai Sifu
05-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Planning on fighting in amatuer MMA in 6 months or so. Been doing some BJJ along with deconstructing my TCMA and training it like MMA. But getting old, 40 next week. :)

Sang Feng Fan
05-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Planning on fighting in amatuer MMA in 6 months or so. Been doing some BJJ along with deconstructing my TCMA and training it like MMA. But getting old, 40 next week. :)

Bona fortuna.

rogue
05-20-2007, 12:00 PM

I'd really like to hear how you're deconstructing your TCMA, as I've been doing the same with my karate.

Mega-Foot
05-20-2007, 12:03 PM
I've been doing the same thing with War and Peace lately.

specialed
05-20-2007, 08:54 PM

Will lkfmdc fix that fight for you?

Lama Pai Sifu
05-21-2007, 04:02 AM
God, I hope so.