PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Soccer

XiaoLong
09-22-2001, 12:28 PM
If you like Shaolin you will love this movie.

About The Film's Success:
This film was the undisputed box-office champ this summer in Hong Kong, bringing in more than $7.5 Million (that's more than 5 times what Rush Hour 2 grossed in Hong Kong!), and is considered Stephen Chow's best chance yet at serious crossover appeal to mainstream American audiences.

The film features jaw-dropping digital effects by brilliant HK workshop Centro Digital Pictures (you'll remember their inspired effects work from such Andrew Lau films as "The Storm Riders", "Legend Of Speed", "Man Called Hero", and more), and guarantees a great time for everyone.

A Brief Synopsis:
Shaolin Kung Fu proselytizer Stephen Chow unites with a soccer coach wannabe to assemble the ultimate underdog soccer team (think "Seven Samurai" meets "The Matrix" meets "The Waterboy"). Combining conventional sportsmanship with ancient martial arts, they will show their soccer rivals ("The Evil Team") that they're not to be trifled with.

About The DVD:
The Shaolin Soccer DVD is presented in Anamorphic Widescreen format, with DD5.1 AND DTS audio tracks. The disc is packed with special features, including an extended version of the film never before seen, a 20-minute documentary, and plenty of behind the scenes footage of the special effects wizards and actors doing their thing.

Shaolin Soccer now on DVD (http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/aid.007448/qx/home.htm)

Crimson Phoenix
09-23-2001, 11:04 AM
Geez, I can't wait for my copy to arrive...

Daelomin
09-24-2001, 09:38 PM
sounds silly..... dosen't mean it's not good

Silumkid
09-24-2001, 11:35 PM
Yeah, Stephen Chiao isn't known for his serious roles. I did like From Beijing With Love but again, it was kind of silly.

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

joedoe
09-25-2001, 03:07 AM
I haven't seen it but I have heard it is absolutely hilarious.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

Julian Dale
09-25-2001, 11:31 AM
I just bought the game for pc when I was in Hong Kong last week, not had a chance to play it yet but the film has has rave reviews.

Heming
09-25-2001, 02:18 PM
Stephen Chiao learnt kungfu from my master's brother in Hong Kong since 1985, he is a good Wingchun and Shaolin style fighter...in Shaolin Temple master also watched Shaolin Soccer with us and all of us likes this movie star very much, hehehe....I have watched this movie for 15 times, and lots of us can recite his famous words in the movie...like" Soccer, is not played by this way deeeeee...."

I bought 3 copies of this movie on Video CD, in China it's only USD2 for a movie CD

Shaolin Soccer (http://ent.sina.com.cn/film/chinese/file/28-17-646_po.jpg)

Heming
Shaolin Secular Disciple's Union,
Shaolin Temple, Mt.Song, Henan 452491, P.R.China
Tel: +86(371)2749172
ICQ#: 17145752
Email: webmaster@shaolintemple.zzn.com
http://shaolin1500.com
http://photos.yahoo.com/mrheming

fajinpower
09-25-2001, 05:25 PM
Can anyone tell me, where can I get a copy of the movie. How much will it cost(USD)?

XiaoLong
09-25-2001, 08:04 PM
DVD is USD$16,96 if you buy it through the link in my first post. I bought the VCD for USD$1,00 in China but it is a far way to go :D

XiaoLong
10-02-2001, 09:56 PM
Wong Ying, how about the game? Is it fun? :D

Julian Dale
10-03-2001, 12:36 PM
cant get the game to run,seems to be some dll issue, plus all instructions are in contonese Doh ! Managed to get some of the wav files to play which are amusing,

XiaoLong
10-04-2001, 04:03 PM
too bad :(, we still got the movie. I fei chang xi huan very like the end of the movie. Wish I could park my car like that :p

Heming
10-09-2001, 03:53 PM
Welcome to download the Shaolin Soccer Video Clips from our Shaolin SDU website, it's in real format and you need to use "realplayer" to play it.

Here is the link:
Shaolin Soccer Clips of Parking the car....and others...hehehe.... (http://heming.topcities.com/video/soccersample.rm)

If you wish to watch the whole movie, feel free to contact me in Shaolin field ;-D

Heming :cool:
Shaolin Secular Disciple's Union,
Shaolin Temple, Mt.Song, Henan 452491, P.R.China
Tel: +86(371)2749172
ICQ#: 17145752
Email: webmaster@shaolintemple.zzn.com
http://shaolin1500.com
http://photos.yahoo.com/mrheming

[This message was edited by Heming on 10-10-01 at 07:03 AM.]

[This message was edited by Heming on 10-10-01 at 07:05 AM.]

[This message was edited by Heming on 10-10-01 at 07:23 AM.]

rogue
08-10-2002, 10:24 AM
Went to see Spy Kids 2 last night and caught the trailer for film called Shaolin Soccer. It looked great for the kids and I'll see it with my sons but if you wonder why people laugh at CMA just think about those two words. ;)
Review (http://www.geocities.com/latenitetheater/shaolinsoccer.html)

I hope it's a great movie because from the trailer it looked like a lot of fun and the boys were jazzed about seeing it.

Crimson Phoenix
08-10-2002, 10:40 AM
It's a masterpiece...too bad Miramax screwed it up and heavily edited it...too heavily for my integrists tastes anyway...
Still, go see it, have a blast, and then buy it in DVD and watch it again, again, again

NorthernMantis
08-10-2002, 10:41 AM
Hey man don't even bother just go down to your local Chinatown and get the vhs tape or dvd.

MrBob
08-10-2002, 11:53 AM
you can get it here for 14$ http://www.newdvd.cc/chinese/dvdhk_093.htm

I've ordered from them before so I can vouch for them.

Lisa
08-10-2002, 11:59 AM
Greatest movie ever. If you like Chinese comedy... I guess it's not for everyone, but I really liked it.

Chang Style Novice
08-10-2002, 04:12 PM
Stephen Chiao would destroy a western traditionalist like David Spade! And he can make a movie that doesn't inspire vomiting, too.

I love Shaolin Soccer, especially the taichi baker/goalie.

dezhen2001
08-11-2002, 12:36 AM
i love the first 'match' they have against all those old guys :D
Oh - on the VCD make sure u get a subtitled one... i got the full mandarin version no subs so didn't have a clue what was going on :(

david

Crimson Phoenix
08-11-2002, 02:52 PM
Man, that scene in the karaoke was priceless...
Now each time I go to one, I feel I could just jump on the stage and sing "siu lam gung fu ho yeh" LOLOLOL

dezhen2001
08-11-2002, 04:58 PM
Ho Yeh :D

david

ChenQiXiang
08-11-2002, 06:06 PM
Shaolin Soccer would be an awsome movie
if only Zhao Wei's stance didn't look so
ridiculous when she did that Chen style
single whip.

As it stands (pun, hehe), it's a great movie.
But you really need to watch the Chinese
version to appreciate Zhou Qing Chi's faked
seriousness and accent in his lines. (At least
I hope it's faked...)

Hau Tien
08-11-2002, 09:25 PM
I've had the VCD for ages now... great movie... just watched it again last night... I still laugh at the dance scene... ahahah...

And... "Why did you make up as E.T.?" ahahahahah

Crimson Phoenix
08-12-2002, 01:23 AM
Go back to Mars, the Earth is too dangerous for you LOL

GeneChing
08-12-2002, 09:06 AM
Did the preview have a release date? Originally Miramax was going to re-title it Kungfu Soccer. I'll be real interested to see how it plays in the states. A great HK flick, but there might be a lot of culture shock. The team of flying chicks with moustaches was particularly confusing. Still, with so many CGI effects, it'll probably be as interesting as any other Hollywood release. Did the trailer have subittles or dubbing?

rogue
08-12-2002, 11:12 AM
I don't remember Gene, may have been voice over. I just sat and stared wondering if someone had laced my popcorn with something. Then they showed someone chi blasting the car and I just busted out laughing.

The Tuxedo looked like fun too.

dezhen2001
08-12-2002, 11:31 AM
i saw a teaser for the Tuxedo a long time ago, it looks real fun :D
I wonder if it will get a UK cinema release... ?

david

jon
08-12-2002, 11:31 PM
I got the DVD for this yesterday.
Darn fine movie...
I couldnt stop laughing for most of the film, i loved the whole concept of it.

lol im not sure if i was meant to but i couldnt help finding the subtitles darn ammusing as well.
Go "evil team" :D

lotusleaf
08-13-2002, 01:52 AM
F***ing hilarious. I accidentally downloaded it from Kazaa last year..the vcd version w/ subtitles..couldnt stop laughing. Now I own the dvd and me and my little brother enjoy watching it from time to time.

GeneChing
08-13-2002, 09:07 AM
OK, anyone know the release date for Tuxedo or Shaolin Soccer? And where can I see these trailers (is Tuxedo with Spy Kids 2 too?) Clue in your ol' administrator.

BTW, I plan to show Shaolin Soccer at our warm-up welcoming party at our 10 Year Anniversary. The Hotel Sports Bar will let me use their big screens, and if I get enough people in that bar, I plan to take over all the screens with kungfu flicks. Check it out at http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/10yr/index.html

rogue
08-13-2002, 11:36 AM
Gene, Both were at Spy Kids 2. Do I win a copy of the Police KF tape now? C'mon Gene, I've taken up Yang style Tai Chi, I buy every issue of KFM at B&N , I'll even shave my head and start wearing hooded swear shirts. I even have a CD of the Persuasions doing GD songs. C'mon give me a free video, PLEEEZE!!!:D I'll be your friend.

Lisa
08-13-2002, 03:17 PM
The Tuxedo will be released on October 11. Not sure about Shaolin Soccer, but keep your eye on kungfucinema.com's preview page for a release date.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/previews.htm

GeneChing
08-14-2002, 10:12 AM
Thanks Lisa, cool site!

rogue: I never give spare change to beggars. They only spend it on more junk. And the Persuasions doing GD? That doesn't count. You new ager. :p

rogue
08-14-2002, 04:40 PM
Well, well, well Mr Gene Smartypants, wasn't that exchange pleasant.
"I never give spare change to beggars."
I was asking for a free video Mr. Ching, not spare change. :mad:

"And the Persuasions doing GD? That doesn't count."
Oh yeah that's right they don't count, is that because the Persuasions can sing in key? :mad:

"You new ager",
Oh very nice. Look, considering that you are the only one here to see the part of George Michaels that goes over the fence last, (or is it the part that backs into a stall in a public restroom first?), I wouldn't be resorting to name calling sir. :mad:

I'll also be switching to reading a real kung fu magazine, Inside Kung Fu. I hear that they'll be soon running an article titled the many hair styles of Gene Ching.

In parting I'd just like to say in my natural Queens New Yawk accent, I HAVE YOUR DOAIST LONGEVITY RIGHT HERE PAL!!!:mad:

PS Gene, if you were just joking and are going to send me the Jing Dao tapes, please disregard this post. :p

GeneChing
08-14-2002, 05:29 PM
Spare change - videos, it's all the same to me when that beggers hand is out.

If you sing GD songs on key, they lose something. It's all about pitch, man. Hippies don't dig that. It's like that old joke, What did the deadhead say after he gave up drugs? "wow, these guys really do suck."

As for Gm's bum, well, I tell you, after working in music for over a decade and a half, I've seen a lot of unsavory things. A LOT. But i'd still call the Persuasions more new age than hippy, especially their covers of GD songs.

If IKF covered my hairstyles, they'd be following in our footsteps once again. But after a comment like that, you really think you're going to get a free video? Let alone one of our best sellers? Come on rogue, cough up the $40. At your currrent 1142 posts, that's less then 4 cents for each of your two cents. is that so much to ask? :rolleyes:

rogue
08-14-2002, 08:06 PM
Gene, how can a bunch of old black guys be new age? One of them is missing half his teeth.:D

I was into the NYC punk scene circa 1976-1983, you may have seen a lot of unsavory things, but I was an unsavory thing. :D

OK Gene I'll buy the tapes, I guess I can skip taking my wife out for dinner and buying her an anniversary present this year. No Disney trip for the kids either. Seriously though, are you thinking of putting any videos out on DVD? I thought I'd have seen more material showing up on that medium by now.

PS I was only kidding about IKF.

Serpent
08-14-2002, 08:46 PM
Come on you two. Just suck face and get it over with. Or find a room. You're embarrassing yourselves!

;)

rubthebuddha
08-15-2002, 10:03 AM
i know. the passion and lust between this two is so thick, you can't cut it without a diamond.

serpent is right -- get a room. :p

KC Elbows
08-15-2002, 10:32 AM
ROTFLMAO at Gene and Rogue.:D

Rogue,
Gene's picky about the new age/hippy thing, ain't he?

Gene,
I've got an album of Burl Ives singing Bob Dylan tunes. I'll trade you that for a video.

The Rest,
Gene and Rogue will never last. Rogues a little bit country, Gene's a little bit rock and roll, in this case, I'd say it'll never work out.(A few of the old timers have a really heinous song going through their heads right now, thanks aren't necessary).

Gene again,
I've also got some childhood 45's. How about "Sister Mary Elephant"? What ya got for that one?

GeneChing
08-15-2002, 03:44 PM
r: Old black guys can be new age, they just gotta sell to that crowd. Man, I wish I could sell to the new age. Nunchuks scare them too much. Maybe if I could adorn them with crystals...

We've been looking at DVD conversion for some of our more popular videos. The start up is pretty prohibitive at this point, but it's coming down, so we're still looking in to it. We've done some VCD, but that format tends confuse a lot of people. we've been toying with the idea of condensing a complete series into a single DVD, something I've been pushing for a lot, but there's been a lot of resistence from the powers that be. Still chipping at it, tho...

serp & rtb: You all are just jealous.

KC: Ives sings Dylan? Seriously? What does he cover?

KC Elbows
08-15-2002, 03:50 PM
I'll find the sleeve and post the song list. It's scary.

I've also got a 45 of "Billy Don't be a Hero" that goes on whenever my wife makes trouble. It's my version of spousal abuse.

And, of course, "Basetball Jones"

SaMantis
08-24-2002, 07:53 AM
Hi, all --

I went to see "Undisputed" last night and during the previews they showed the "Kung Fu Soccer" trailer -- only this time the title is back to "Shaolin Soccer."

The goalie still has underwear painted on, though.

Did Miramax make a concession to the movie's fans?

Drache
08-24-2002, 10:11 AM
I don't know about the title, but if the preview was "rated for all audiences" they would have had to paint tht underware on. it doesn't necessarily mean it is like that in the movie.

~Drache~

TjD
08-24-2002, 01:34 PM
i just watched the movie for the first time last night ;)

i have to say its the funniest **** movie i've seen in a long time

shaolin gung fu hoooo yeaaaa! :D

cha kuen
08-24-2002, 08:12 PM
I saw the movie last fall in Hong Kong. It's funny as HECK.

Sho
08-25-2002, 01:36 AM
It's the best! :D

SaMantis
08-25-2002, 08:15 AM
Yeah, I'm just hoping Miramax doesn't ruin it. :(

My brother borrowed it to show his kids, neither of them is old enough to read the subtitles but they loved it. My nephew didn't want to give it back; I had to buy a second copy.

Nevermind
08-26-2002, 11:54 AM
Could someone please tell me where I can buy the DVD? I promised my best friend that I would find it for him. He saw the trailer while seeing "Undisputed" and he went ballistic when I told him that you can already get the DVD. However, I haven't been able to find it. TC Media had it but it has been discontinued. Any info on finding this flick would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jzf_K
08-26-2002, 03:19 PM
try ebay

wooha
08-27-2002, 07:08 AM
www.dddhouse.com

That's where I got mine. Highly recommended.

Kristoffer
08-27-2002, 07:43 AM
Disney.. *sigh*

Surferdude
02-14-2003, 06:11 PM
Anybody see it?
Its a pretty funny movie. I think the funniest part was when they're practicing and 6th small brother wants his eggs so bad he eats them out of 3rd big brothers mouth!!!!hehehehe:D

Sho
02-15-2003, 04:29 AM
Seen it. It was quite funny, but the egg part was disgusting. :eek:

Surferdude
02-15-2003, 11:00 AM
That was hilarious!!!!
hahahahahahaha!!!! he ate it out of his mouth hahahaha
yea it was pretty disgusting
:D :p

shaolinboxer
02-15-2003, 06:07 PM
I loved that movie. I have it on DVD and have watched it half a dozen times.

Surferdude
02-16-2003, 10:14 AM
Yea i thought it was funny when mui went to the wrong goal side and hit her head. Hehehehehe:D
Or when the girl walking down the street slips on the banana!!!

GeneChing
02-17-2003, 10:17 AM
I just heard from Miramax that Shaolin Soccer's U.S. release has been pushed back to August. It was scheduled fro April.

Surferdude
02-17-2003, 04:00 PM
Really? Well I downloaded it off Kazaa. Its got pretty good quality.:D ;)

Sho
02-17-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Surferdude
Or when the girl walking down the street slips on the banana!!!Yea, she was sweet. :D

Surferdude
02-18-2003, 07:38 AM
Yea but then she learns iron vest kung fu.
Then she doesnt slip. Hahahahaha
Or the other girl who pushes the car into the parking space
:D

hasayfu
02-20-2003, 04:03 PM
Go back to Mars, the earth is too Dangerous!

'nuff said.

Surferdude
02-20-2003, 07:31 PM
Hahahahahaha that was a funny part too.:D

kenso
02-22-2003, 03:01 PM
I think the best scene in the whole movie is that surreal bit when everyone breaks out into a dance routine from a Michael Jackson video.

Surferdude
02-26-2003, 05:25 PM
Or how bout when, 1st little brother is in the store helping the old lady, then he jumps and knocks everything over. hehehehe!!!
That movie is a classic!!!:D :) :D

Chang Style Novice
02-27-2003, 08:14 PM
I like it when Stephen Chiao bursts into song after watching the shy hottie make steamed bread with her taiji. And when he's describing the greatness of kungfu to the coach, and suddenly the coach is dressed as the shaolin abbot Chiao was describing and starts taking off the robes right there in the street revealing his regular clothes underneath. And the guy who carries a wrench and hammer onto the soccer field with him but it's okay because he's a mechanic. And when Chiao beats up an alley full of thugs with a soccer ball. And...

Okay, I love the whole dang movie, alright?

Guile
04-11-2003, 06:14 PM
I loved that movie!

sn0w8lade
04-12-2003, 03:48 PM
I love this movie!!!!!!!!!

Real funny bit when they playin the female team wit fake facial hair an they shocked how good they are but stephen chow (sp?) says it's just the special effects

:D :D :D :D

hasayfu
04-14-2003, 02:51 PM
OK, I think it was this movie.

Isn't there a scene where some guy strikes a mantis pose and he says something to the affect, "don't ever do that, you embarass mantis"?
Who can describe that one better?

Guile
04-21-2003, 08:52 AM
I dont recall that scene

kenso
04-24-2003, 02:18 PM
It's the scene where Chow is confronting the guys who beat up him and his dai sihing at the club. The very last guy is a skinny little dude who strikes a mantis pose and ****s (I'm assuming from fear). Then comes one of the funniest dialogs in the movie:
Chow: "Did you study Tong Long?"
Skinny mantis guy: "Yes."
Chow: "Don't ever disrespect Shaolin again."
SMG: "Okay"
Chow: "Do you have any coins?"
SMG: "I have only 30 cents"
Chow: "Give them to me"
SMG: "Are you stealing my coins?"
Chow: "Yes"
SMG: Cries like a little kid

Surferdude
04-27-2003, 05:15 PM
Hehehehe another funny part was when the taji girl(forgot her name:o ) was getting a makeover and the ugly man lookin girl was pickin her nose and wipes it on her back!!!!:D

PHILBERT
04-30-2003, 09:53 PM
I saw a preview of it in the theatres a few weeks back when I went to go see Bulletproof Monk (*shiver*). I wanted to cry, it look...well...*******ized. Dubbing didn't seem to fit, words used "Why should a pretty face be covered by the hair?" and then "Gah! Now you look like E.T.!". I lowered my head in shame.

I'll still see it opening weekend, but be happy in knowing I've seen the Hong Kong version.

Laughing Cow
09-03-2003, 10:27 PM
Hiya you MA freaks.

Here is a notice for the guys in my vicinity.

Sunday the 14th at 21:00(09:00pm for US Citizens) Super Channel will be airing "Shaolin Soccer".

Original Soundtrack with local sub-titles.

People close by that don't have Cable can contact me and we can arrange a get-together at my place and few beers to watch it.

Cheers.

MasterKiller
09-04-2003, 06:21 AM
It hasn't even been released in the US yet.:(

Laughing Cow
09-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
It hasn't even been released in the US yet.:(

Cinema and DVD releases happened quiet a few months ago over here.

GeneChing
09-04-2003, 09:28 AM
Miramax really dropped the ball on Shaolin Soccer.

Miramax, or MiramAXE as they a becoming known in the HK circles, bought the US rights to a huge archive of HK films, mostly following suite from Tarantino's example. Now they are just sitting on them. We have access to a lot of these movies in DVD, but it's illegal for us to sell them.

Shaolin Soccer was scheduled for release August 8th (originally planned for April 2003) then postponed to the following week, then postponed to September sometime, now it might not even have a theatrical release. This has angered HK stars like Stephen Chow, and apparently Columbia has picked up his new project scheduled for Spring 2004 - Kung Fu Hustle. Sammo Hung was the action director on that one, but he just got replaced by Yuen Woo Ping...

Chang Style Novice
09-04-2003, 12:17 PM
Is it illegal for you to give them away to forum members with in excess of 4000 posts?

SanSoo Student
09-04-2003, 01:06 PM
wha...give away?

I WANT ME ME ME ME!!!
:eek: :D

Kristoffer
09-14-2003, 03:24 PM
Free stuff.... did I hear the words 'Free' and 'Stuff'? :p

Laughing Cow
09-14-2003, 03:32 PM
Hi.

The program has been watched and recorded. :p

Great flick, some good comedy in there.
:D

What's that I hear about "FREE" and "STUFF", you gotta be kidding.
Nothing for FREE in life.

BTQ, the Movie is in the original soundtrack.

Kristoffer
09-14-2003, 04:03 PM
I like the Andy Lau movie song. :D The video is funny too

GeneChing
09-25-2003, 10:16 AM
check it out: shaolin soccer (http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,60511,00.html )

Poor Miramax. They better cash in on Kill Bill.

Chang Style Novice
09-25-2003, 08:50 PM
Poor miramax my hairy white bunghole! If they'd actually released the movie, they'd have a cult hit. As it stands, they have a pirated phenom, because pirating is the only way to get it.

They lubed the d!ldo, handed it to the internet and then bent over with their pants down. If they want to whine about what happened next, they're crazy.

SanSoo Student
09-25-2003, 10:39 PM
Man...
Miramax would save and make soo much more money if they released all the movies Cantonese w/Eng subs...
I mean d@mn they dont even need to edit it...
Just freakin release them!!

GeneChing
09-26-2003, 10:12 AM
Check out this article (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=403)

grlyncher99
10-02-2003, 08:33 PM
What if they shelved the film in order to save us? What if those are our good friends at Miramax rather than the ne'er do wells you paint them to be?

It just good I found another spot to chime in on. I'm still working on my skil saw form.

GeneChing
10-03-2003, 12:25 PM
I can see their strategy now. If that hits, then they can open the floodgates. The buzz is pretty good so far, so it could prove to be the converse of CTHD. We can only hope.

CSN: I was being sarcastic. Please don't bring up your bunghole anymore.

Tak
10-16-2003, 08:22 PM
As it stands, they have a pirated phenom, because pirating is the only way to get it.
Yes, if I were the type to download copyrighted material, Shaolin Soccer would have been at the top of my list. Incidentally, I hope those subtitles were just some guy's translation and not the "official" ones - they were terrible! "You're a real salt fish with no shoes..."

Kristoffer
10-18-2003, 05:42 AM
no shoes.... that's terrible

Shaolinlueb
10-22-2003, 08:48 AM
you can buy the HK release of it in any china town dvd shop. I did that a year or so ago.

MasterKiller
09-20-2004, 07:04 AM
Rented Shaolin Soccer this weekend. It was a lot better than I expected. The special effects were pretty cool.

Li Kao
09-21-2004, 03:47 PM
Now you have to check out Steven Chow's "The God of Cookery", which is my favorite of his to date. A little bit of kung fu mixed in there (a brief scenario where Steven is "trained" by the 18 Bronzemen at a Shaolin temple), and some really cheeky humor.
It's not as big budget as Shaolin Soccer, but I think the humor works better. I especially enjoyed Karen Mok's character -- the makeup crew have to be commended for making a beauty like her appear so homely, but it is part of her character's charm, much like Vicky Zhao Wei initially in Shaolin Soccer, so it works.

Might have to dig a little to find it a video store, but it's worth it!

For the record, I wasn't too pleased with how Miramax handled the release of Shaolin Soccer here in the states -- I saw the DVD at Blockbuster the other day and cringed when I read the tagline on the box -- "Get ready to kick some grass" :(

chris_kfo
11-28-2004, 01:13 AM
I heard the American DVD release has both the dubbed cut and the original subtitled version; is that true?

MasterKiller
11-29-2004, 07:47 AM
yup. Both versions.

MasterKiller
05-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Shaolin Family Soccer????

I saw this at the video store. Is this a real sequel?

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Shaolin_Family_Soccer/70067157

jethro
05-19-2007, 10:45 AM
No.

I have seen the trailer and it looks like it may be a good movie. It stars the iron head guy from Shaolin Soccer who gets disciplined for smoking on the soccer field.

GeneChing
05-21-2007, 09:33 AM
I'm not even sure what that means in HK film. They have a totally different take on film franchises. :confused:

jethro
05-21-2007, 02:37 PM
There are plenty of sequels in HKC, but Shaolin Soccer was made after this movie, so it is just obvious.

Fight BAck to School 2 was a good sequel. Part 3 was done by Wong Jing, so of course it has almost no relation at all. He doesn't even go back to school.

GeneChing
05-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Take a look at The Real Jackie Chan is Back in NEW POLICE STORY (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=572) by August West. August addresses the sequel problem in HK film.

jethro
05-21-2007, 03:44 PM
I know what you meant, but I was just letting you know that there are actually a lot of real sequels.

jethro
05-28-2007, 06:14 PM
This actually does seem to be a sequel to Shaolin Soccer. The original name is Silly Kung Fu family. The iron head guy is the only connection. It was made after Shaolin Socer to cash in on the iron head guy's popularity.

Anyways, the movie sucks. It is a bad Mrs. Doubtfire ripoff.

I am waiting for Image to release Retreat of the Godfather (D!ck Wei) and Revenge of the Scarface (Ken Lo).

GeneChing
05-29-2007, 09:40 AM
How could it be a real sequel to Shaolin Soccer without Chow?:rolleyes:

jethro
05-29-2007, 07:30 PM
The iron head guy is the only connection. It was made after Shaolin Socer to cash in on the iron head guy's popularity.

:rolleyes:

GeneChing
10-17-2007, 10:06 AM
It's produced in Japan, but it's produced by Chow. See link for trailer.

'Shaolin Girl' Teaser Trailer (http://www.asianpopcorn.com/default.asp?Display=1042)

If you like Hong Kong actor/director Stephen Chow’s ‘Shaolin Soccer’ and ‘Kung Fu Hustle’, then you can’t miss this Japanese movie ‘Shaolin Girl’. Produced by Stephen Chow, the movie stars Shibasaki Kou (Dororo), Nakamura Toru (Sleeping Forest) and Eguchi Yosuke (White Tower). Stephen Chow doesn’t star in the movie as he is busy with his new movie ‘CJ7’ (previously titled ‘A Hope’).

jethro
10-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Now that is a tease. Hopefully a longer trailer comes out soon. There is no way this could be worse than Shaolin Soccer Family, I will bet on it.

doug maverick
10-17-2007, 03:14 PM
can't wait to see jump the movie that he's producing

GeneChing
11-19-2008, 10:26 AM
But 'football' I think they mean 'soccer'.

China bans 'kung fu football' from TV (http://news.scotsman.com/world/China-bans-39kung-fu-football39.4706846.jp)
Published Date: 19 November 2008
By STEPHEN WADE

CHINA'S top domestic football matches have been taken off national television because of on-field fighting at a recent game, with reports comparing some players to "martial arts" experts.

Jiang Heping, the head of sport for CCTV – China's government-run broadcaster – has said he would prefer to show foreign games.

He has accused some players in the China Super League of lacking "professional ethics", following a scuffle last week between clubs from Beijing and the nearby city of Tianjin.

After the match, angry local fans attacked the bus of the visiting Tianjin team.

The China News Agency has likened Super League games to "a kung fu movie" and some players to "martial arts heroes".

The Beijing Olympics were widely regarded as a sporting success.

However, the world's most popular game in the world's most populous country has been mostly a disaster.

Top Chinese soccer league bumped off TV due after onfield fighting (http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5irKwp_-fuxUc9-lqz3-aWtnhNjPA)
1 day ago

BEIJING — The top Chinese soccer games have been bumped from national TV because of on-field fighting at a recent game and reports likening some players to martial arts experts.

Jiang Heping, head of sports for CCTV - China's government-run broadcaster - said he'd prefer to show foreign games. He has accused some players in the China Super League of lacking "professional ethics" following a scuffle last week between clubs from Beijing and the neighbouring city of Tianjin.

After the game, fans attacked the bus of the visiting Tianjin team.

Dong Hua, spokesman for the Chinese Football Association, on Tuesday dismissed what happened, saying it was part of the "fierce competition" as the season nears the end.

"But we have rules and we'll deal with everything according to the rules," Dong said.

His opinion was challenged by a recent headline in the Beijing Evening News, which asked: "When will Chinese football stop bringing shame?" The China News Agency likened Super League games to "a Kungfu movie" and some players to "martial arts heroes."

The Beijing Olympics were widely regarded as a sports success. However, that is not the case with soccer.

"The state of Chinese football at the moment makes everyone feel bitter," Jiang told the Titan sports newspaper. "If it goes on like this, it's in danger of being thoroughly destroyed."

The famed state-run sports machine, which produced 51 Olympic gold medals three months ago, has failed to produce a single marquee soccer player. This nation of 1.3 billion is No. 98 in the world rankings, just ahead of Georgia (pop. 4.6 million) and Barbados (pop. 280,000).

The hallmark of the government-run Super League has been chronic mismanagement, match-fixing scandals and on-field violence.

"In football, the issue of violence is always present," said Rowan Simons, an Englishman and 20-year resident of China, who has worked as a TV analyst in Chinese. "China is not unusual in player fights. But it does seem to be more endemic here."

China's national team was knocked out of 2010 World Cup in Asian qualifying five months ago, failing to make the last 10 in continental competition. The only time China qualified for the World Cup was in 2002. It lost all three games and failed to score.

"The Chinese have tried to replicate the elite level of football they see in Europe without seeing that underneath it is a huge infrastructure of community clubs which have been there for generations," Simons said. "You can't create an elite model of football without a grass-roots model."

Still, China hopes to bid for the 2018 or 2022 World Cup, and could be the leading contender.

SimonM
11-19-2008, 10:37 AM
How about some of the sequels to Kung Fu hustle to have one (or both) of the Landlord / Landlady characters in it but no other connection.

Such as:

Kung Fu Sweetheart (martial arts romantic comedy, relatively good, no connection to Kung Fu Hustle, the actors who played Landlord and Landlady return as a hidden, married couple, martial arts team; action circulates around the simultaneous attempts of their daughter's non-martial artist coworker to woo her and of the daughter's attempt to reconcile her estranged parents all while repelling the attacks of evil martial artists under the command of a very evil bad guy who finally managed to decipher a terrible volume of dark martial arts that was written in the arcane language... of ENGLISH!!!!!)
Kung Fu Mahjong (Basically exactly what you would expect, mediochre production values)
Kung Fu Mahjong 2 & 3 (Nearly simul-released)
Karmic Mahjong (No connection to Kung Fu Hustle by cast or plot or theme, some thematic connections to the Kung Fu Mahjong franchise... released after the success of Kung Fu Mahjong to cash into romantic comedies with a Mahjong gimmick - may have cast overlap (unsure).

TaichiMantis
11-19-2008, 10:45 AM
"The Chinese have tried to replicate the elite level of football they see in Europe without seeing that underneath it is a huge infrastructure of community clubs which have been there for generations," Simons said. "You can't create an elite model of football without a grass-roots model."

It's like thinking you are a kung fu master when you don't have a solid base of knowledge, history and massive amounts of training. ;)

Football (the game that is actually played with a ball at your foot) is my first passion. I played for over 35 years, mainly as a keeper but also a striker. At age 43 I found kung fu, and at age 48 tai chi...and wish I had found them earlier, the training would have really helped my game!:D

GeneChing
08-26-2009, 09:46 AM
nice flying kick. click for vid.

Footballer launches kung-fu style flying kick to player's head in revenge attack (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/08/26/footballer-launches-kung-fu-style-flying-kick-to-player-s-head-in-revenge-attack-watch-the-video-115875-21625788/)
By Mirror.co.uk 26/08/2009

This is the moment a Bolivian football match turned ugly when a player launched a ferocious kung-fu style flying kick to a rival's head, knocking him unconscious.

Young starlet Sergio Jauregi attacked rival player Leonardo Medina in revenge for an earlier incident in the match when Medina elbowed him.

Following the fight a brawl broke out between the two teams Oriente Petrolero and Blooming and both players were sent off.

TaichiMantis
08-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Studs up baby!:D

GeneChing
12-28-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm thinking the soccer soccer redundancy is intentional chinglish....:confused:

Shaolin Soccer Soccer fans in China (http://imagegallery.taragana.com/2009/12/27/g/75474/)
Shaolin Soccer Soccer fans in China have merged their love of the sport with the nation's love of martial arts. Shaolin Kung Fu soccer, a combination of the two sports, is the brainchild of superfan Kong Debao, 38, who wanted to form a new version of the game to save the image of Chinese soccer. All players receive training in martial arts and soccer. Beijing, China - 22.12.09

GeneChing
02-05-2010, 10:41 AM
SMK Kungfu Soccer Club. :)

Kungfu could save soccer, says club boss (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/life/2010-02/05/content_9434045.htm)
(China Daily)
Updated: 2010-02-05 10:22

A former businessman with a passion for soccer is hoping the principles of kungfu can save soccer in China, where the game has been dented recently by gambling scandals involving senior officials, club managers and players.

Kong Debao, a soccer enthusiast and executive director of the SMK Kungfu Soccer Club, told METRO on Wednesday that by bringing the merits of kungfu onto the soccer pitch, he hopes players will become more agile and develop stronger minds, improving weaknesses among Chinese soccer players.

"I was very anxious about the fate of the Chinese soccer and that's why I wanted to restart this club," he said.

Kong gave up his clothing business in Heilongjiang province to start the soccer club in 2007. However, due to financial difficulties, it was closed at the end of 2008.

With new financial investment from a property developer "enough for the operation of a soccer team for 10 to 20 years", Kong re-launched the club on Tuesday.

"The ultimate purpose of the club is to train top players capable of competing with their foreign counterparts and expanding the talent pool for Chinese soccer," he said.

Kong said the club hopes to recruit 200 players in half a year. So far, six people have applied.

The top 20 prospects will not need to pay for tuition and accommodation with the club.

Kong is among a growing number of people who have expressed concern about soccer in China.

On Jan 21, two Chinese Soccer Association vice-chairmen were arrested for their alleged roles in soccer gambling. Previously, a former Chinese national team coach, several club managers and players were also arrested. Chinese fans have been disappointed by the scandals and hefty salaries paid to players, while the international ranking of China has kept declining.

"The motivation of this grassroots soccer club is an incentive to reform the Chinese soccer industry," Guo Ruilong, former coach of Beijing Guo'an soccer team told METRO.

However, a lack of participation among teens is one of the challenges Chinese soccer faces, he said.

Last year, the emergence of a super soccer league consisting of the neighborhoods in Huilongguan, northwest of Beijing, was evidence of a major grassroots soccer revival, as reported by the Beijing Times.

GeneChing
06-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Some one needs to tell Kong Debao it's only a movie...

China looks at kungfu to revive football hopes (http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iDn0Ffkho2VxAIj7I3PzeNdzOjaQ)
By Francois Bougon (AFP) – 1 day ago

BEIJING — China has once again failed to qualify for the World Cup, but 40-something businessman Kong Debao thinks he has a way to revitalise the "beautiful game" -- he has created kungfu football.

By infusing the sport with graceful martial arts moves, Kong believes he can help the national team improve their speed and agility.

"The standard of football in China is really low. When we watch it, we worry," Kong, a native of northeast China, told AFP.

"I asked myself how I could find a way to remedy this sad state of affairs, and so I created kungfu football. I'm committed to it body and soul."

After two years of setbacks, Kong finally found a martial arts school in the suburbs of Beijing that agreed to start a kungfu football class this year.

In China, such schools are highly respected, and offer students both traditional academic courses and martial arts training from a very early age.

The 30 young people training at the school say they are proud to be part of creating a new sport.

"I've always played football and I recently started to do kungfu. With this, the two are combined," explains 17-year-old student Xu Jiawei, adding he was distraught at the national team's repeated poor showings.

"Kungfu is a national treasure in China, but football is not really our strong point."

During a recent training session, students performed all sorts of acrobatic moves with the ball -- some kind of a cross between David Beckham and Jackie Chan.

For the time being, the class mainly struts its stuff in shows -- not on a real pitch -- to build interest in the sport.

"We do moves that professional footballers cannot do," Xu said.

"We're adding moves that are more beautiful to watch, which suggests that they are also more difficult," he added, noting he plans to watch the World Cup broadcasts from South Africa -- if he can find the time between his classes.

Kong's goal is to one day see a full-on kungfu football match, with well-trained players putting on quite a show.

"We'll pay lots of attention to those who are physically and mentally strong, and ready for this training," he said.

"In the future, we hope to make this a more international phenomenon. One day, we could even play against strong foreign teams," he said, noting all regular rules of the game are respected by the kungfu players.

The sport's governing body has so far remained silent on the new sport, but it has much bigger issues at stake.

Chinese football is mired in a massive corruption scandal that has seen the former association chief and vice chief charged with bribe-taking and match-fixing, and scores of officials questioned by police.

Two top Chinese football clubs have been fined and relegated for paying bribes, while a second-tier club has been stripped of its right to field a team.

China made their only appearance in the World Cup finals in 2002, when the tournament was co-hosted by Japan and South Korea.

GeneChing
07-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Taguo is the biggest school in the world, located near Shaolin Temple. I've even written a few articles on it. See 13,000 Warriors of Taguo: Grandmaster Liu Baoshan & the World's Largest Martial Arts School in our 2003 November/December SHAOLIN SPECIAL (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=397) for starters.

Shaolin Kung fu get in on World Cup action (http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90001/90782/90872/7059606.html)
14:08, July 09, 2010

Kungfu soccer Students from Shaolin Tagou Martial Arts School practice soccer in Dengfeng, Henan province, July 7, 2010. They set up the team to explore a new way to integrate Chinese kungfu with soccer skills.

China is caught in the grip of World Cup fever and Shaolin Kung fu monks cannot help but fall in love with soccer, too. So a group of monks formed a special soccer team.

The ages of the soccer team members are from 15 to 19, and they chose their positions on the playground due to their own specialties.

The Shaolin Kung fu soccer team organized a match at the football field in Physical Culture Institute of Zhengzhou University on the morning of July 7. The bright yellow frocks made them absolute the focus of attention.
http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/mediafile/201007/09/P201007091409519736316398.jpg
http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/mediafile/201007/09/P201007091410048475182421.jpg
http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/mediafile/201007/09/P201007091410154536268612.jpg
http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/mediafile/201007/09/P201007091410271298053948.jpg

I'm changing MK's thread title from "Shaolin Family Soccer????" to "Shaolin Soccer" as this thread has evolved (and I'm in a thread title changing mood today).

GeneChing
07-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Kung fu football takes a whole new turn in China as ref is floored by a flying kick (http://blogs.timeslive.co.za/common-dialogue/2010/07/26/kung-fu-football-takes-a-whole-new-turn-in-china-as-ref-is-floored-by-a-flying-kick/comment-page-1/)
Posted: July 26th, 2010 | By Abdul Milazi

An enraged Chinese fan registered his annoyance by launching a karate kick at the referee and shoving a linesman after his club received two quick red cards in a Qingdao Chinese Super League game at the weekend.
It was announced during the world cup that the Shaolin temple have invented what they called kung fu football, where the ball is kicked around using elaborate martial arts kicks. But I don’t think this particular fan was from a shaolin school.
So when you are in charge of a soccer match in China, watch out for flying objects, which might be people.

I launched a Shaolin specific thread "Shaolin Soccer for real (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57758)" on the Shaolin forum as Taguo's attempt to garner some publicity during the World Cup was fairly successful.

GeneChing
01-16-2018, 10:06 AM
He's still trying to milk Shaolin Soccer? srsly? That came out nearly a decade and a half ago.

Lam Chi Chung lost money with "Funny Soccer" (https://sg.news.yahoo.com/lam-chi-chung-lost-money-022200458.html)
Heidi Hsia
From Cinema Online Exclusively for Yahoo Newsroom 12 January 2018

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/AezncjLoQJeIkBeqJfHHvw--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9ODAw/http://media.zenfs.com/en-SG/homerun/ybrand.cinema.com.my/7310c47274c1d49eb504cb1e6f7fc6b8

13 Jan – Hong Kong actor-turned-director Lam Chi Chung recently admitted that his big directorial effort "Funny Score" was a disaster at the box office and a disaster for him and his investor, financially.

As reported on Oriental Daily, the actor, known to many as Stephen Chow's sidekick in "Shaolin Soccer" and "Kung Fu Hustle", shared that a lot of bad things happened throughout the movie's production - from poor promotions to the getting conned by a supposed intermediary for international distribution.

"The movie was poorly promoted in mainland China and didn't get a lot of shows when it was released. After only a few days, its run was abruptly ended and was regarded as a box office bomb," he said.

He also stated that the movie was supposed to get an international release, but that the intermediary turned out to be a conman who disappeared with the money.

Lam said that he and his investor ended up losing over HKD 20 million.

The actor said that it disappointed him vehemently as it was a pet project that started ten years ago.

"I really liked the script and spent a year preparing it for production. The actors also gave the project their all. Benny Chan didn't take a cent in order to support the project," he said.

Lam said that he previously thought about sharing some of the movie's profit with Benny, but ended up losing his own money instead.

"I am very sorry for that," he added.

thread: Shaolin Soccer (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?46486-Shaolin-Soccer)
thread: Shaolin Soccer for real (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?57758-Shaolin-Soccer-for-real)

GeneChing
06-23-2023, 08:31 AM
Stephen Chow is looking to cast global actresses for "Shaolin Women Soccer" (https://sg.news.yahoo.com/stephen-chow-looking-cast-global-064700932.html)
Heidi Hsia
Thu, 22 June 2023, 11:47 PM GMT-7·1-min read
https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/CQwOnyBjcB8JkR20q5aWbA--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTcyMA--/https://media.zenfs.com/en/ybrand.cinema.com.my/aa2b4dd263a459288dd27a3ebf4791bd

23 Jun – Hear ye! Hear ye!

All you talented female out there, Stephen Chow is looking for you. Yes, you.

In celebration of him turning 61 on 22 June, the comedy auteur took to his Instagram account to share the first draft of his new project, which he called, "Shaolin Women's Soccer".

He wrote, "Here is my birthday wish. To spend a good time with so many pretty girls (young, beautiful, smart, curvy, ATHLETIC). All countries are welcomed. The more the better! For those who are qualified, please send recent photos and detail info to mediacvinfo@gmail.com."

He then added, "Photoshopped photo will never work. It will be condemned by us and by the United Nations."

Many actors and social media influencers alike took to the comments to express their interest, from Malaysia's Jenn Chia, Hong Kong's Myolie Wu and Sharon Chan, to even actor Edison Chen, who jokingly posted, "CAN I BE ONE OF THE GIRLS???"

It is noted that "Shaolin Soccer", which was released in 2001, was one of Stephen's last acting projects before he went on to focus on directing (his last starring movie was 2008's "CJ7".) The movie stars Stephen himself as a master of Shaolin kungfu, who reunites with his five brothers to use their abilities to play soccer as a way to bring the arts to the masses.

Shaolin-Soccer (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?46486-Shaolin-Soccer)
Shaolin Women Soccer (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72540-Shaolin-Women-Soccer)