PDA

View Full Version : Liu He Ba Fa or shaolin-do

hindoshima
05-20-2007, 10:02 AM
In my city there are only 3 types of martial arts schools. There is taekwondo, Liu He Ba Fa and shaolin-do. I did the taekwondo for 2 years and wasn't to pleased with it. Do you think I should take Liu He Ba Fa or shaolin-do next?

P.S. I don't care if shaolin-do is from china or not, i'm talking about effectivness.

Mega-Foot
05-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Is suicide an option?

No disrespect to those other fine arts, but it might do you some good to be reincarnated in LA, so that you can join my Shao-lin Ninja commune.

Say, do you have a MAster's Degree?

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Where are you from?

I'd do the Liu He Ba fa if it was me.

gwa sow
05-20-2007, 10:18 AM
id vote for Liu He Ba Fa. but check out everyhting first. if the teachers are bad, none of these could be "effective". dont rule out others stuff if its there if you want effective fightting. boxing, judo, mma, etc.

Fu-Pow
05-20-2007, 10:43 AM
I'd say Liu He Ba Fa but you need to check out the teacher to see if they know WTF they are doing.

Mega-Foot
05-20-2007, 10:53 AM
It doesn't matter which art you pick for "effectiveness's" sake. Find out which one does the most sparring with less rules. That will be the most effective art.

Also, internal martial arts are ineffective unless supplemented with heavy external arts.

Fu-Pow
05-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Also, internal martial arts are ineffective unless supplemented with heavy external arts.

Nice troll...I give it a 2 :rolleyes:

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-20-2007, 11:13 AM
I say .85

Mega-Foot
05-20-2007, 11:56 AM
You're biased. But you know it's true. It's why senior's with plastic hips and 70's haircuts practice the chi. Don't see any old ninjas, do you?

3 words: seppuku at 60.

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Ninja's can't fight thier way out of a paper bag even when they are vastly outnumbering thier opponent.

Mega-Foot
05-20-2007, 12:08 PM
That's very true, sadly. Many ninja clans have disgraced our name. But it doesn't change the fact that tai chi isn't good for fighting; at least, for anything more than pushing grandpa out of the way to get my medicaid, or finger striking a cantaloupe, or threatening to push over the phone card stand with a wardoff press and push at the drugstore when the cashier refuses to redeem an expired coupon that you've already misinterpreted as giving you a free lifetime supply of adult diapers.

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-20-2007, 12:12 PM
We should cross hands some time. Let me know next time you are in the Chicago area.

Mega-Foot
05-20-2007, 12:14 PM
You will never know when I am in the Chicago area. Unless you've been hyperactive in your tai chi sensitivity exercises.

Judge Pen
05-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Ignore the troll under the bridge.

The advice that it depends on the teacher is the best advice you can receive. What city do you live? I'll be glad to share with you my opinion of the teacher of SD in your area (privately, by P.M., of course). I have an excellent SD teacher and I think it is very effective (especially if you have a thick skin with regard to the negative opinions of the art's history and lineage that you see here).

hindoshima
05-20-2007, 12:55 PM
The teacher for Liu He Ba Fa is Paul Dillon. I forgot the name of the shaolin-do teacher. I actually just got back from watching Paul Dillon and his students practicing. In 2 weeks I'm going to try it out. About 1 month ago I watched a Shaolin-Do class. I liked both of the teachers and they both seemed to know what they were talking about.

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-20-2007, 02:38 PM
You will never know when I am in the Chicago area. Unless you've been hyperactive in your tai chi sensitivity exercises.

Reply]
I will be waiting for you to appear in my room in a foolish attempt to kill me in my sleep then.

I have allways wanted to catch myself my very own Ninja!!

Ben Gash
05-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Where do you live? I find it hard to believe you'd have LHBF but no Wing Chun or Mantis.

Dale Dugas
05-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Paul Dillion is in Iowa

Judge Pen
05-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Paul Dillion is in Iowa

I do not know of any SD (or CSC) schools in Iowa.

I looked up Paul Dillon and his school in is Idaho. The SD instructors in Idaho would be under the Soards and the Chinese Shaolin Center (basically the same thing, but with a different name and a different set of politics). I really can't tell you much about their teachers, but there are others on the site that can. The teacher in your area may be very good and very qualified. You will just have to try it for yourself.

As for Mr. Dillon, he appears to be very reputable. Not personally knowing him or his instruction, it would seem that you couldn't do wrong with him.

It's all personal preference.

hindoshima
05-20-2007, 04:50 PM
I live in Boise,Idaho. There is wing chun but I'm not going to do all of that bow to buddah stuff. There is no mantis as far as I know.

SanHeChuan
05-20-2007, 07:27 PM
There is wing chun but I'm not going to do all of that bow to buddah stuff.

WTF are you talking about? :confused:

Scott R. Brown
05-20-2007, 11:44 PM
We should cross hands some time. Let me know next time you are in the Chicago area.

By the time you know he is there you will already be dead!! ;)

Ben Gash
05-21-2007, 04:24 AM
Yeah, I'm somewhat confused by that statement as well.

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-21-2007, 05:36 AM
By the time you know he is there you will already be dead!!

Reply]
No, I have a lot of experience with Ninja's...it's more like by the time he realizes he just killed my pillows, his achellies tendons will be cut out by my Ka Bar and he will be flopping happlessly on the floor.

golden arhat
05-21-2007, 05:47 AM
That's very true, sadly. Many ninja clans have disgraced our name. But it doesn't change the fact that tai chi isn't good for fighting; at least, for anything more than pushing grandpa out of the way to get my medicaid, or finger striking a cantaloupe, or threatening to push over the phone card stand with a wardoff press and push at the drugstore when the cashier refuses to redeem an expired coupon that you've already misinterpreted as giving you a free lifetime supply of adult diapers.

chen taiji is an exxcellent fighting art
at least when coupled with san da

if it was me i would also vote for liu he

see if u can mix ur liu he training with an mma school or judo

i doubt that there are just 3 schools

remember boxing is also a very good martial art that all to often goes under the radar of the "martial" artist

be open to everything and take what u like

golden arhat
05-21-2007, 05:53 AM
I live in Boise,Idaho. There is wing chun but I'm not going to do all of that bow to buddah stuff. There is no mantis as far as I know.

yeah dude that must be a pretty weird WC school

CFT
05-21-2007, 06:43 AM
I live in Boise,Idaho. There is wing chun but I'm not going to do all of that bow to buddah stuff. There is no mantis as far as I know.Try PM'ing lawrenceofidaho who posts here on the KFM forums. He does a lot of things but I think Wing Chun is his main style.

There is no bowing to Buddha unless your school happens to be a particularly devout Buddhist one. Very unusual in my opinion. However, there is a sequence of movements in the 1st form called "3 Prayers to Buddha" (wu sau to fook sau repeated 3 times). But that is in name only - no-one in their right mind would think this is actually a prayer to Buddha.

BruceSteveRoy
05-21-2007, 07:13 AM
Ninja's can't fight thier way out of a paper bag even when they are vastly outnumbering thier opponent.

according to the inverse inverse ninja law a zombie ninja can be quite effective. it goes like this. a horde of elite ninjas is practically useless against a lone opponent but one dead, rotting and retarded ninja can perform occasional miracles.

here is my scholarly source on ninja related issues:
http://drmcninja.com/page.php?pageNum=18&issue=8

so when zombiegeddon happens you better hope there are no ninjas about. just a thought.

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-21-2007, 07:29 AM
LOL!!!

It seems Giant planet sized space monsters are the real threat!!

hindoshima
05-21-2007, 02:11 PM
I went to the wing chun school and there were buddahs( Sorry about spelling) everywhere and incense was burning. It just didn't feel right to me.

B-Rad
05-21-2007, 08:05 PM
You're looking into a school with "Shaolin" in the title, and Buddhism bothers you?
:confused:

Shaolin is Buddhist in origin. Wing Chun is a Shaolin art. Many many Chinese are Buddhists. You're going to run across some devout Buddhists in Chinese martial arts from time to time. I think it's strange that you're more concerned about someone's expression of religion, especially when that religion has been closely associated with the arts you're seeking out, than whether or not someone may be lying to you about what it is you're learning.

gwa sow
05-22-2007, 08:49 AM
try out the wing chun. i train at a chinese martial arts school. there are all kinds of statues, scrolls and stuff on the walls and shelfs. incense is burned also. but no religion or ideas/beliefs are talked about or pushed on the students. its more of a cultural thing many times than a religion. dont let those statues and incense push you away from a school that you might like. "empty your teacup" and give it a try:D

hindoshima
05-26-2007, 06:05 PM
I might do that. If they don't push buddist stuff on you then I might join. I wish that Hung Gar was in Boise though........

Mega-Foot
05-27-2007, 05:46 AM
I went to the wing chun school and there were buddahs( Sorry about spelling) everywhere and incense was burning. It just didn't feel right to me.

We had to shut down our first Shaolin Ninjitsu in Shangdong when a key mistranslation of ancient scrolls led to the entire clan bowing down to incense and burning buddhas everywhere in the province.

It was embarassing, but we've recovered pretty well.

kwaichang
05-27-2007, 06:17 AM
I know someof the people who train there PM me and I will tell you what I know KC

Mega-Foot
05-27-2007, 06:19 AM
The school in Shangdong isn't there anymore. How do you know people who train there?

Unfortunately, the Buddah burning was the demise of our own temple as well.

kwaichang
05-27-2007, 08:09 AM
I was talking about SD in Idaho KC

Mega-Foot
05-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Shangdong in Idaho?

I've never heard of it.

Shaolin Wookie
05-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Talk about being deliberate.