PDA

View Full Version : Gloves

Fu-Pow
05-20-2007, 02:13 PM
What do people think of these gloves for training?

http://store.titleboxing.com/title-mma-ultimate-training-gloves.html

FP

Water Dragon
05-20-2007, 02:23 PM
I don't like 'em. There's too much padding up top. Get the regular NHB gloves, and go a little lighter in training. Get some 14 oz boxing gloves for heavier work.

MasterKiller
05-20-2007, 03:52 PM
My club uses these:

http://www.combatsports.com/detail_tuf.aspx?ID=22292

Pretty much the same design. I like them alot. The extra 2 or 3 oz allows you to spar harder w/o getting hurt, and you can still grapple.

We use 14oz boxing gloves when we want to hit hard, but when you want medium contact with no head gear, these kinds of gloves are perfect.

Fu-Pow
05-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the info MK. They look pretty much the same, title's being a bit cheaper.

I like the design of these types of gloves because you can hit hard and still utilize the fingers and forearms for trapping...which is essential to some kung fu styles. Are there any sparring formats similar to San Shou that use these gloves? I seem to remember seeing a Kuo Shu sparring vid where they had similar gloves.

MasterKiller
05-20-2007, 06:08 PM
IMO, these should be standard for any kung fu school.

Oso
05-21-2007, 05:14 AM
the Kuo Shou Lei Tai doesn't appear to have a standard rule for gloves. Saek San might let us know differently.

The local group allows really bad gloves, imo. They have disallowed MMA gloves for some reason but allow some cheap gloves that don't protect the fighters much less the hand.

I was happy last week that they allowed my guys to use 12oz boxing gloves.

sometimes we use 'karate mitts' for sparring. they are designed for sport karate but are basically a thumbless pad for the hand and allows the fingers to be free. they are pretty cheap at $20 but aren't good for more than medium contact.

bodhitree
05-21-2007, 05:38 AM
the Kuo Shou Lei Tai doesn't appear to have a standard rule for gloves. Saek San might let us know differently.

The local group allows really bad gloves, imo. They have disallowed MMA gloves for some reason but allow some cheap gloves that don't protect the fighters much less the hand.

I was happy last week that they allowed my guys to use 12oz boxing gloves.

sometimes we use 'karate mitts' for sparring. they are designed for sport karate but are basically a thumbless pad for the hand and allows the fingers to be free. they are pretty cheap at $20 but aren't good for more than medium contact.

Ha ha

I used to use the tiger claw sparmaster for full contact sparring. not recommended!

SevenStar
05-21-2007, 10:25 AM
My club uses these:

http://www.combatsports.com/detail_tuf.aspx?ID=22292

Pretty much the same design. I like them alot. The extra 2 or 3 oz allows you to spar harder w/o getting hurt, and you can still grapple.

We use 14oz boxing gloves when we want to hit hard, but when you want medium contact with no head gear, these kinds of gloves are perfect.

I have those as well.

Oso
05-21-2007, 07:21 PM
I have those as well.

the thumb looks wierd. ???

Water Dragon
05-22-2007, 03:26 PM
I prefer these:

http://www.txmma.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=184

That style glove has a totally different feel. For the CMA guys, these are better, IMO, for using bridging skills.

MasterKiller
05-22-2007, 05:07 PM
You can't hit hard with those and still look pretty at work the next day. Boo.

Oso
05-22-2007, 06:48 PM
agreed. I's gots to preserve what little game I gots left.

SevenStar
05-22-2007, 10:15 PM
I prefer these:

http://www.txmma.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=184

That style glove has a totally different feel. For the CMA guys, these are better, IMO, for using bridging skills.

I have a pair of those to - similar, anyway - it's a different brand. Those have pretty much zero padding. As you mentioned before, you can't safely do contact sparring with those. I'd rather have the ones posted above and use more contact.

SevenStar
05-22-2007, 10:18 PM
the thumb looks wierd. ???

I don't have any problem out of the thumb. If I am hitting a bag the knuckle covering gives me fits though. It pushes back or something when I throw hooks and it feels funny.

Water Dragon
05-23-2007, 03:37 PM
I have a pair of those to - similar, anyway - it's a different brand. Those have pretty much zero padding. As you mentioned before, you can't safely do contact sparring with those. I'd rather have the ones posted above and use more contact.

I know, Bro, and there's a trade off. We would always go real light, and focus on techniques, transitioning, the more technical parts of the game. We would use the 16 ouncers when we sparred heavy. Training that way worked out real well for me. It gave us a very 'smooth' game.

Oso
05-23-2007, 03:55 PM
I don't have any problem out of the thumb. If I am hitting a bag the knuckle covering gives me fits though. It pushes back or something when I throw hooks and it feels funny.

that's what I was thinking might happen and that it might snag while grappling.

MasterKiller
05-24-2007, 08:14 AM
I don't have that problem, but I throw all my hooks palm-inside.

The gloves can get in the way while grappling, but you gotta make some concessions if you want contact and safety. No different that wearing grappling hin guards.

SevenStar
05-24-2007, 10:44 AM
I don't have that problem, but I throw all my hooks palm-inside.

so do I. weird.

Vash
05-24-2007, 02:11 PM
so do I. weird.

I do the same. Fits in with the vertical fist thing of Isshinryu. Thought I was weird.

SevenStar
05-24-2007, 04:13 PM
a vertical hook lessens the chances of breaking the pinky knuckle. I think it's weird that he doesn't have the glove problem that I have, but there are numerous factors which can affect this.

Oso
05-24-2007, 05:07 PM
i agree about concessions for safety...I spent too many years with a teacher who thought it was funny to have injuries in the school.

I just thought those particular gloves had a very floppy looking thumb cover.