PDA

View Full Version : Ng Chun Hong clips

Wu Wei Wu
05-20-2007, 08:43 PM
A couple of clips of Ng Chun Hong that are well worth watching. He was taught by Jiu Wan, Lok Yiu and Wong Shun Leung. The time that he spent with WSL seems particularly evident in the way that he moves;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-n4rjrZUBQ&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBhfSOL1AnE&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fygc5s93oqg

Matrix
05-21-2007, 09:04 AM
WWW,

Thanks for sharing the clips.
Can you, or anyones else for that matter, please tell me the key points that are being said in the first clip. It would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

CFT
05-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Bill, I tried to listen but found the sound to have too much echo to make anything out, also lots of background sounds, bad mic-pickup.

splinter
05-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Ok, those are some pretty good clips IMO. Good Wing Chun over all... especially w.r.t. the bong sau drills in the first video.

I have a question though... the 2 arms vs 1 arm.... is there really any value to that? I mean, other than developing a little extra sensitivity, I don't see much value. The big huen sau's that he was applying would really only work against someone who was holding their hands in the typical WC position and attacking straight down the center. As soon as there's a hook punch or something from an outside gate is used, the second hand would have to come into play.

And apparently it works especially well when the other person just stands there with one arm extended, and the other in wu sau, conveniently on the opposite side of the center line.

Matrix
05-26-2007, 06:45 AM
Bill, I tried to listen but found the sound to have too much echo to make anything out, also lots of background sounds, bad mic-pickup.Hey Chee, I appreciate the fact that you took the time and effort to try and figure it out. :cool:

Thanks,
Bill

Matrix
05-26-2007, 07:33 AM
I have a question though... the 2 arms vs 1 arm.... is there really any value to that? ................................................An d apparently it works especially well when the other person just stands there with one arm extended, and the other in wu sau, conveniently on the opposite side of the center line.
Hey Splinter,
I agree largely with your observations re: static "opponents". Of course, you may encounter a situation where you can use one arm against two but I wouldn't count on it.

The value that I see in a drill like is not 1-arm-against-2, but the idea that you can deliver your 2nd action for the same hand from where it currently is, rather than always resetting as we often see in a chain-punching-type sequence.
I think it's natural for people to want to wind up before striking because people think it is more powerful. Of course the cost of the wind-up is time and energy as well as signalling your intent to the opponent. Since you already have taken that forward position you can deliver a strike right from there.

Of course, this is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.