PDA

View Full Version : Break demo, only the bottom brick

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Look at the last break here. He only breaks the bottom brick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CLTGLPLCTw&mode=related&search=

Comments anyone?

golden arhat
05-21-2007, 04:24 PM
bricks are different from human tissue
just because he can do it with bricks does not mean he can apply it in real life

if he could wouldnt he have used it in competittion to make ALOT of money ?

Mr Punch
05-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Not this old chestnut! Chestnuts don't hit back!

GA, think you're missing the point... the point isn't 'Can a guy who breaks bricks apply it in a real live situation?' to which of course the answer is, it depends on the guy, but ostensibly at least a guy who can break something like bricks or boards is arguably better able to put his bodyweight behind a punch than somebody who can't punch his way out of a wet paper bag...

I think RD's point is 'What do we think of the power issuance of a guy who can break only the bottom brick in a stack?' (I don't know tho, I'm at work so I haven't seen the vid yet)

Of course, same as a guy who can break all the bricks: whether he can apply it to a live situation depends on the bloke... But, in my wing chun school I was told that what we were aiming for was the power to break the middle board/brick in a stack and leave the others intact, because then you're really hitting into the target. It was irrelevant cos we never hit boards! I was told that my sigung could break the middle one, but I've never seen it :rolleyes:

In some karate they would want to punch through the whole stack maybe. Goju, which has an 'soft' element, AFAIK would aim for this bottom brick thing. As would daitoryu aikijutsu. Dunno about other KF styles...

IronFist
05-21-2007, 08:15 PM
The break at 0:22 is BS. He's lifting the brick up with his right hand. It's obvious. The brick is breaking because it's hitting the other brick upon impact.

IronFist
05-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Here's a dude breaking the bottom of seven. Dunno who this guy is of if this is legit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGd7vXN1MQo&mode=related&search=

IronFist
05-21-2007, 08:20 PM
More. You know, it looks like some of these people aren't hitting it hard enough. But they're doing it to a DragonForce song so that makes it cool.

Maybe that same dude as before (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee23ItHEZog&mode=related&search=).

Why all the warmup, tho? Do you have time to warm up and line up your strike in a real fight? I don't think so.

SaintSage
05-21-2007, 10:12 PM
I'd love to know the physics behind the "bottom brick"/"Middle brick" break.

stonewarrior67
05-21-2007, 11:34 PM
he just needed to follow through just a bit more and both would have broke. in my school we use breaking to test our hand training and i've done the slap and broke the bottom one a few times because i did not fully sink it. i have seen guys that have the ability to break one brick out of the center of the stack and that brick be selected to be broke by another person. that's neat to see but keep in mind they break a lot to be able to do that.
also it is cheating when you see dudes put spacers between bricks ie pencils, shims or pennys as it is a lot easier to do and i didnt see any between the bricks.
this is also kinda interesting....i was told that many years ago iron hand practitioners relied SO much on their iron hand capabilities that they got lazy and only trained their hand and that other martial artist would beat or kill them because of their lack of skill. it also goes that it (iron hand training) kind of died out but was picked up by the enforcers of the triads and tongs. the last known great iron palm master died as a casualty in fighting Chang Dung Sheng in 1936. there would be people better knowledged than me here to expound on that and please do as it would be very interesting to read!
one last thing, catch lee ying-arns video on you tube...his method to training his hand is almost identical to the way we train ours.
everyone have a great day and keep training hard!

golden arhat
05-22-2007, 04:17 AM
thats a vid from renowned charlatans wong kiew kit and the shaolin wahnam ppl

as lkfmdc said

"he says he can change the weather with his chi:rolleyes: "

i dont take anything they do seriously

nuff said

IronWeasel
05-22-2007, 04:35 AM
thats a vid from renowned charlatans wong kiew kit and the shaolin wahnam ppl

as lkfmdc said

"he says he can change the weather with his chi:rolleyes: "

It's true...he can make the wind break...

golden arhat
05-22-2007, 04:44 AM
hahahhahahahahahah LOL

B-Rad
05-22-2007, 06:42 AM
I remember a kids martial arts show on tv when I was a teenager "WMAC Masters" that had a wushu guy that did a bottom board break.

TenTigers
05-22-2007, 07:08 AM
in a stack,each successive brick or board will flex a bit more than the one above it, thus the bottom piece breaks first. I have seen slow motion video footage of a stack of boards, and they break from the bottom up. With spacers, I don't think this occurs, nor with clay roofing tiles. I am not entirely sure whether this is how bottom bricks break, but it is how bottom boards break. I still don't know how the middle one is done.

IronFist
05-22-2007, 06:13 PM
"WMAC Masters"

Hell yeah!!!

EarthDragon
05-22-2007, 08:07 PM
both breaks are impressive.
I studied iron palm under one of brain greys tops students and these guys do the same selective breaking as well.

Notice a true break will come from the lou gong point in the center of the palm. no heel palm breaks allowed in the big leagues. I am impressed with both breaks.
Iron fist
I do agree however the one in the .22 vid yes he does cheat by lifting the brick, that was a joke.