PDA

View Full Version : isometrics Vs weights

desciple
04-25-2001, 06:54 PM
Hey a question is troubling me for months!

We know Bruce lee was an Isometric freak . So his muscles were astonishing, powerful, conspicous etc!etc. but he also used weights and on the net as i read through many articles, i found out that he had a dumbell almost all the time with him at his house . And he also exercised with barbells . So how come all that pumping didn't make his muscles bulky? Does isometrics prevents your muscles from gaining bulk even if you use weights?

If any of you know what's going on please shed some light on the matter will you.

Thanks!

Johnny Hot Shot
04-25-2001, 08:34 PM
Low weight High reps does not affect Muscle size as does higher weight with low reps. :D

baji-boy
04-25-2001, 10:10 PM
I think this is a very good book that tells you what Bruce Lee's work out looked like, etc.

I think one of the reasons that Bruce Lee's muscle size wasn't very large was because he not only trained for strength, but also speed. Of course I could be very wrong, as I'm just speaking without any knowledge or sources, so yeah. :D

SevenStar
04-26-2001, 07:44 AM
Another issue is body type. Bruce appeared to have an ectomorphic body type, meaning that genetically he couldn't get too big anyway.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A fool speaks because he has to say something."

greedy
04-27-2001, 08:07 AM
be a little bit careful about following Bruce's workout program to the letter. At the time of his training, he was using the sophisticated techniques available. However, times have changed.

Much research has gone into investigating how different types of excercises affect the human body. It has been shown that isometrics are the most inefficient form of exercise. Although a strength gain is apparent, this extra strength is only developed within a 15 degree arc of the 'holding position' of the particular exercise. This is to be compareed to the gains made in weight training, which tend towards a strength gasin throughout the movement arc of the muscle/s involved.

Bruce was a fairly large boy, but we have to remember that he had an incredibly low body fat percentage, some say as low as 0.8%! This means that some muscles will be 'cut' even when they are not being worked as effectively as they could be. I think everybody knows a kid from school who had a 'six-pack' just because he was skinny, rather than because of any training regime!

Take care with weight training, and make sure you investigate the subject completely before beginning training. it would be a pity to get a back injury because of incorrect weight training.

Cheers.

IronFist
05-12-2001, 10:46 AM
Bruce's was low, perhaps 7 or 8, but no one living can have a bf% of .8. Even in pro bodybuilding the lowest you'll see on contest day is 5 or 6%, and they can only maintain that for an hour or so.

Iron