PDA

View Full Version : What do you fill your punching bags with?

GeneChing
05-23-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm trying to imagine this happening to us. ;)

Family's Punching Bag Holds Smelly Surprise (http://www.wlwt.com/news/13331924/detail.html)
Man Says Bag Filled With Underwear
POSTED: 1:46 pm EDT May 16, 2007
UPDATED: 11:03 am EDT May 17, 2007

CINCINNATI -- A Cincinnati-area family got a smelly surprise when they opened a punching bag they purchased earlier this year.

Joe Heckel said he and his son were moving a TKO brand heavy punching bag from their garage to the basement when they decided to see what was inside in case the bag later leaked. But Heckel said that instead of sand or plastic pellets, he found the bag full of men's and women's underwear, some of it used.

"(There were) bras, thongs and bathing suits. We could not believe there were clothes inside instead of sand," he said. Heckel said the smell was "bad, real bad."

Heckel said that contacting the store where he'd bought the bag didn't go anywhere.

"I called to ask them if they could tell me if these were clean underwear, but I don't think that he believed me," Heckel said. "I said 'I'm a cop, I'm telling you that's what's in there!' He stated that he had never looked in a bag so he didn't know what was in them."

Heckel described the discovery as "gross but kind of funny in a way," and couldn't help but chuckle as he told his story. He and his son finished installing the punching bag after taking pictures, but he says they have yet to use it.

A spokeswoman for the store told partner Web site WLWT.com that they were unaware of what had happened, but asked for Heckel's phone number so they could contact him about the matter.

Attempts by WLWT.com to contact Technical Knockout Inc., the company that owns the TKO brand, have been unsuccessful. A number listed for the company was "unassigned."

But on Thursday, a company representative saw Heckel's story on a Houston Web site and called him.

Heckel said Thursday that the representative told him that the underwear in the bag was a "quality problem" that they were dealing with, and that the people who had made the decision to put underwear in the bags had been fired.

The representative said a new, non-underwear-filled bag would be shipped to Heckel shortly.

Unraveling the Mystery of the Punching Bag Filled With Dirty Laundry (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,274367,00.html)
Monday, May 21, 2007

Where is Nancy Drew when you need her?

A Cincinnati-area family is trying to solve the mystery of how a hamper-size bundle of dirty underwear happened to find its way into their brand-new punching bag, WLWT.com reports.

"[There were] thongs, women's underwear, men's underwear — some used, bathing suits and bras," said Joe Heckel, who bought the bag for Christmas. "We could not believe there were clothes inside instead of sand."

And the smell left no doubt that the undies were used and abused before they made their way into the TKO brand punching bag.

"It stunk to high heaven so I zipped it up real quick," Heckel said.

Technical Knockout Inc., which makes the bags, dodged Heckel's claims until local news organizations came calling. The company admitted that there may be others out there with punching bags filled with stinky underwear.

A representative told Heckel that the underwear in the bag was a "quality problem" and that those responsible for deciding to fill TKO bags with dirty laundry had been fired, WLWT.com reported.

Heckel opened the bag in the first place to see what kind of sand or plastic pellet might leak out when it was punched. Technical Knockout Inc. promised Heckel a new, non-undie-filled replacement.

Get your non-dirty-underwear-filled bags here (http://www.martialartsmart.net/10-820.html).

TenTigers
05-23-2007, 02:12 PM
these are probably the guys who bought my heavybags at my garage sale.

David Jamieson
05-23-2007, 03:19 PM
This is why companies should focus more on employee happiness than their bottom line.

not that the bottom line isn't important, it is and it's part of keeping everyone happy and invested in what they do, but clearly, someone at tko is ticking off employees for them to go so far as to actively attempt tarnishing the rep of the company.

Judge Pen
05-23-2007, 03:28 PM
This is why companies should focus more on employee happiness than their bottom line.

not that the bottom line isn't important, it is and it's part of keeping everyone happy and invested in what they do, but clearly, someone at tko is ticking off employees for them to go so far as to actively attempt tarnishing the rep of the company.

Did you look before you jumped to that conclusion? Do you know why these employees did that or are you assuming that it was becasue the company was ticking them off. Maybe it was the way you say or maybe it was because the people were unstable or maybe they just had a weird sense of humor or maybe it was because their kid wanted a sandbox so they wanted to get the sand on the cheap. I don't know, but the point is neither do you.

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-23-2007, 04:12 PM
My bag was filled with like a heavy, shredded denim material.

I have two bags, one is about 450-475 pounds and is filled with iron sawdust, the other is filled with the denim.

I plan to someday fill the one with some sort of small, heavy round seeds from a feed store...maybe corn, we will see how heavy it is compared to other options.

Mr Punch
05-23-2007, 04:19 PM
My nuts are heavy bags.

And I need something heavy duty to put them in, so my underwear is heavy bags too.

How ironic.

GeneChing
05-23-2007, 04:41 PM
I don't think it had anything to do with disgruntled employees. Shame on you David, for jumping to conclusions. The truth of the matter is obvious. TKO always stuffs their bags with dirty underwear. :p

Black Jack II
05-23-2007, 04:59 PM
The souls of lost Democrats.

FuXnDajenariht
05-23-2007, 07:16 PM
oh brother... :rolleyes:

bodhitree
05-24-2007, 04:06 AM
Dirty underwear bags now available! (http://www.martialartsmart.net)

xcakid
05-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Hmmm.....maybe I should go into punching bag production biz.

GeneChing
05-24-2007, 12:33 PM
We charge extra for the dirty-underwear-filled bags. ;)

MasterKiller
05-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Can we pick whose underwear it gets stuffed with? :eek:

Oso
05-24-2007, 03:31 PM
The souls of lost Democrats.

lmao...now I've got to come up with something better than that...

Oso
05-24-2007, 08:29 PM
...the tortured screams of the innocent...

yeshe
05-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Commercial heavy bags are never filled with sand,they are filled with shreded
rags.If you filled a 70lb size heavy bag with,it would weigh a couple of
hundred pouds and be as hard as cement.You could not punch it for a full
workout.
Heavy bags are desined to "give" slightly but provide resistance
to develope power over time.
I have a small sand bag, it is about 2 ft long and 12 inch in diameter,
filled wth sand itweighs 40 or 50 lbs.I use it like a hanging Iron palm bag

jdhowland
05-25-2007, 08:53 AM
My iron hand bag is patterned after the one we used in Cheuk Tse's school: a leather reinforced canvas bag filled with sand. After the first few strikes it takes a slight dent and doesn't appear to deform after that. The leather has a good feel (I never use vinyl bags because of the sticky texture) and you always know where the striking surface is. Iron shot and copper BBs also work well but are expensive. Quentin Fong once got ahold of some plastic pebbles in bulk quantity that he recommended for filling small bags. Maybe plastic for injection molding would work well. My claw bags for finger and wrist strengthening are canvas filled with mung beans. The traditional belief is that enzymes from the mung bean dust enter the skin and help to strengthen the connective tissues and prevent bruising.

Mega-Foot
05-25-2007, 10:07 PM
I generally stuff mine with dead bodies.

1. It's a good place to hide them.

and

2. It teaches you what contact with a real live human being feels like.

I suppose "real live" is a bit of a misnomer, but "real dead human being" just doesn't sound the same.

TenTigers
05-25-2007, 10:30 PM
I have a zipper down the side of mine, and when we have a student who needs an "attitude adjustment", we stuff him inside and play "Kung-Fu Pinata" with him.
Note to all you school owners-this is great fun for those Karate Kid Birthday Parties! The kidz love'em! And it doesn't make a mess on the carpet. The bag is plastic lined for quick and easy clean-up,and it's sanitized to prevent harmfull germs and bacteria, for all you Moms at home.

DPL
05-26-2007, 09:11 AM
We fill ours with beer. They break more often, but it's a lot more fun when they do.

Banjos_dad
05-26-2007, 09:37 AM
I just answered the door and no one was there, but here's this 70# heavy bag sitting in the doormat. Not only that, but it is on fire.

I suppose I shall stomp it out :cool: