PDA

View Full Version : Interesting outlook on forms from a fma perspective

Black Jack II
05-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Some people either love him or hate him, but its a interesting outlook on forms from Datu Kelly Worden, using the modern arnis anyo as the context. I thought some may like the outlook from a fighting culture/art that is not really form based but more geared towards whats termed alive training.

Now again, this is really renegade modern arnis and not many fma systems use any anyo but its nice to see the subject talked about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3p-yA-RpyY

Knifefighter
05-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Lots of FMA is as bad as much of TMA because many don't actually fight full contact. Watch someone fight full contact with sticks... looks nothing like the way it is taught in the majority of cases. The same applies to much of the empty-handed stuff.

xcakid
05-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Lots of FMA is as bad as much of TMA because many don't actually fight full contact. Watch someone fight full contact with sticks... looks nothing like the way it is taught in the majority of cases.

Yep. I went to a FMA tournament in Los Angeles back in the day(which was a Saturday). This guy just kept coming at me like he was swatting a fly. Sadly, when I looked at the video my ex GF took. I looked the same way, with the exception of throwing kicks and sweeping him a couple of time. :(

Black Jack II
05-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Of course aspects of anything change in that kind of sparring context. No secret there.

It's just the lecture I thought some would find interesting.

xcakid
05-24-2007, 10:01 AM
It's just the lecture I thought some would find interesting.

It is/was a good lecture.

cjurakpt
05-24-2007, 02:43 PM
I think that the key point, which he makes, but could maybe emphasize more, is that on the "grab" (2nd "defensive" move), is that if you don't invade the other guy's space on the cross angle (basically taking his centerline away), you are most likely a sitting duck for his next shot; so the grab has to be, by necessity, multi-planar - in other words, you have to travel in somewhat obliquely, moving forwards as well as crossing to the other side and up a bit
another way to look at it is if the "brush" evens you up when he is on the offensive, the "grab" is what puts you back in the driver's seat, so to speak;