PDA

View Full Version : Hung Kuen wooden man

Laukarbo
05-24-2007, 02:27 AM
Still in the early stages...thought I let you know my Sifu , Mark Houghton,is working on an instructional video for the wooden man.
It will emphasize on the form,drills,conditioning and application.
Heres a teaser..but be aware that the footage shown in this clip is not from the actual DVD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7_bkEqmpps

WinterPalm
05-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Out of curiousity, why is the wooden man so small? It would seem that with people generally much taller and not having such a low stance, you would want something bigger (taller)?

Laukarbo
05-25-2007, 06:56 AM
I dont really know what you mean by smaller ?
Im 6.1ft and I dont find it small..also other dummies I worked on werent any bigger...
The difference on this dummy is that the arms are on the same level and made of metal..

WinterPalm
05-25-2007, 01:32 PM
In the first clip and some others the dummy looks about 5'8 or so, just thought it looked small but it is probably the angle.

chivalrous hall
06-01-2007, 06:22 PM
good stuff! the thing to remember here is proper body mechanics in hung gar. a beginner, lets say a few years training might actually deteriorate his training if he was to jump on the dummy without understanding how to link all parts of the body. yes if he knows many hand movements he would practice them on the dummy and would gain a level of conditioning, without the structure though these would equate to dead power. like the vid though

Cheers,

David Jamieson
06-02-2007, 05:14 AM
why is there metal arms on it?

Laukarbo
06-02-2007, 06:36 AM
they actually not hurting much more than wooden arms..but they last longer if not forever...

jmd161
06-02-2007, 08:46 PM
why is there metal arms on it?

Perhaps it's something they picked up from Hak Fu Mun's 9 Armed Grinder Dummy???;)

jeff:)

Laukarbo
06-02-2007, 09:29 PM
I assure you he didnt...but cool to know there are more outside..
Before my sifu opened the school he were teaching privately in his backgarden in Saikung/Hk..he used Metal logs wrapped in ropes..:D
Now in the log chamber the logs are wood but the original log is still there and used for saam sing etc....

jmd161
06-03-2007, 04:33 PM
I assure you he didnt...but cool to know there are more outside..
Before my sifu opened the school he were teaching privately in his backgarden in Saikung/Hk..he used Metal logs wrapped in ropes..:D
Now in the log chamber the logs are wood but the original log is still there and used for saam sing etc....

I was just joking nice to see though that others still hold on to traditional training and training tools.

jeff:)