PDA

View Full Version : The Ulitmate Fighter 5

Matrix
05-27-2007, 07:28 PM
I was wondering if anyone caught the latest episode of this reality show. I thought it was quite interesting because you see what happens when you try to apply tactics that work well in the ring, fail in a brawl. Applying an arm bar and getting dropped on your head in the ring is one thing. When it happens on concrete the effects are somewhat different. What this clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsgX18kGIfQ)doesn't show is that the guy who got dropped had a nice cut on the back of his head afterwards.

Note, this is not a shot at MMA or Ultimate Fighter - I obviously watch the show from time to time and enjoy it. It's just an observation that what may work in one venue may not work as well in another. You need to keep your enviroment in mind at all times.

Liddel
05-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Hey Bill -
Here in NZ were only broadcasting the 4th season but after that clip i wanna see more :cool:
Cracks me up...everyone enjoying the spectacle the camera man just rolling getting good footage, LOL "ohh arm bar" sideline comentry from the guys.
CLASSIC :D

As far as ring to street, your right some dead ends in the ring have more posibilities in the street but still its no get out of jail free car IMLimitedE.

Ive seen guys pull an arm bar similar to what you see here, instead of picking the guy up tough, the top guy stood up and stomped the face of the bottom guy. Not something you would expect in UFC because of rules, but i have no doubt grapplers have answers for this. ???

Matrix
05-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Here in NZ were only broadcasting the 4th season but after that clip i wanna see more :cool:Oopps, sorry if I'm being a bit of a spoiler. :eek:

As far as ring to street, your right some dead ends in the ring have more posibilities in the street but still its no get out of jail free car IMLimitedE.:I'm also in the IMLimitedE club when it comes to streetfights.
That's why I'm asking the question.

I've seen guys pull an arm bar similar to what you see here, instead of picking the guy up tough, the top guy stood up and stomped the face of the bottom guy. Not something you would expect in UFC because of rules, but i have no doubt grapplers have answers for this. ???Speaking of rules................In that same episode during the actual fighting match one dude uses an "illegal" move for which he loses a point - elbow to the back of the head. The recipient of this shot was never quite the same again and lost shortly afterwards. I think he was losing anyways, but it was still close up to that point and could have gone the other way. Anyhow, I give these guys props. They certainly put it all on the line, and on international tv no less. They train hard and fight hard.:cool:

sihing
05-27-2007, 08:09 PM
The interesting part about it was the guy that did the slamming was supposedly drunk, while the other guy was sober? IMO the blonde guy went for the submission a bit to early on all occasions. The first slam, he was dumped on a curved concrete garden curb, I believe the guy meant to dump him on his back there on purpose as he actually had the guy in the air, turned him around and dumped on top of the curb, that must of hurt, ouch.. The second one was on the concrete floor. The blonde guy was smaller and I guess felt like he had to sub him in order to win, rather than exchange blows.

I found it interesting as well. Environment plays a bigger role in streetfighting. Overall IMO, the drunk guy won unanimously (apparently this guy has had 300 streetfights, I don't know if that is true, but he did show better streetfighting skills IMO, than the other guy).

Yeah, I saw the actual fight as well, that elbow to the back of his head definetly changed things for that fighter, he wasn't the same after that. Even Dana said that. The same happened when Tito got a finger in the eye from Chuck, after that happened it was over. So much for eye pokes eh :) The thing about these types of things is that they are not "fight finishers (eye gouges/poke, biting, fish hooks, etc..)", they are just helping actions, meant to set up the knockout. At least that's how I see them in my very limited experience.

James

Matrix
05-27-2007, 08:22 PM
The first slam, he was dumped on a curved concrete garden curb, I believe the guy meant to dump him on his back there on purpose as he actually had the guy in the air, turned him around and dumped on top of the curb, that must of hurt, ouch..
James,
Yes, that one definitely fell into "that's gotta hurt" category. As for being drunk, he wasn't that drunk and in some people alcohol really makes them more aggressive. Just another interesting point to get from the episode.

And yeah, we can comment on who did what and should have done what, and who "won". But I'm just an armchair fighter and it's just toooooo easy to 2nd guess these things - everthing happens so fast and you have to go with what you know. I just thought it was interesting and worth pointing out.

t_niehoff
05-27-2007, 08:48 PM
I was wondering if anyone caught the latest episode of this reality show. I thought it was quite interesting because you see what happens when you try to apply tactics that work well in the ring, fail in a brawl. Applying an arm bar and getting dropped on your head in the ring is one thing. When it happens on concrete the effects are somewhat different. What this clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsgX18kGIfQ)doesn't show is that the guy who got dropped had a nice cut on the back of his head afterwards.

Note, this is not a shot at MMA or Ultimate Fighter - I obviously watch the show from time to time and enjoy it. It's just an observation that what may work in one venue may not work as well in another. You need to keep your enviroment in mind at all times.

This can be a problem with some sport fighters -- they get so good at thier sport, that they act automatically (how they are training to act) in "sport mode" even when outside of that game. Tactics depend on, and so will need to change with, the situation. And that should be addressed in training.

While the tactics depend on the situation, the root fighting skills do not.

Knifefighter
05-27-2007, 11:03 PM
Ive seen guys pull an arm bar similar to what you see here, instead of picking the guy up tough, the top guy stood up and stomped the face of the bottom guy. Not something you would expect in UFC because of rules, but i have no doubt grapplers have answers for this. ???

When working the guard you never want to go up with your opponent and give him a chance to slam you- whether you are talking street or sport.

When the top guys stands, there are several things that can be done... none of which this guy did.

- Hook the leg with an arm so that the top guy cannot lift.
- Plant one hand down on the ground with the arm extended so you cannot be slammed.
- Release and drop down to the leg that opens up when the opponent stands and move into either a leg lock or a sweep.

Liddel
05-27-2007, 11:29 PM
- Hook the leg with an arm so that the top guy cannot lift.

I noticed Caro Parysian (sp?) hooking the leg when Burkman tried 2 slam him in UFC71. Wicked fight, very entertaining.

sanjuro_ronin
05-28-2007, 04:29 AM
Joe is eating up that Show, even if his last fight was a bit sub-par for him.
Too bad about the elbow to the back of the head though...
**** happens.

The "street fight" was hilarious, love how the "drunken" guy showed the most restraint !
Cracked me up when he got "sucker" kicked in the face and just looked at the other guy !!

LOL !

SenseiShellie
05-28-2007, 11:25 AM
The "street fight" was hilarious. Too bad they all got kicked off the show...oh well. Think we'll see all those kicked off the show in the finale?

sanjuro_ronin
05-28-2007, 12:01 PM
The "street fight" was hilarious. Too bad they all got kicked off the show...oh well. Think we'll see all those kicked off the show in the finale?

Hope not, MMA has enough Punks giving it a bad name as it is, Dana made the right move in getting rid of them.

SenseiShellie
05-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Hope not, MMA has enough Punks giving it a bad name as it is, Dana made the right move in getting rid of them.

You never know though...look at Leben. He took a leak on Jason Thacker's bed...broke part of the house and then got mad when he got punked by Koscheck and Southworth. He's in the UFC...

AmanuJRY
05-28-2007, 06:40 PM
You never know though...look at Leben. He took a leak on Jason Thacker's bed...broke part of the house and then got mad when he got punked by Koscheck and Southworth. He's in the UFC...

Leben has cleaned up his act and is more serious these days.;)

Personally, I think Noah Thomas isn't really that big of a punk, young and ****y...but, not a punk. Marlon Sims, being more experienced, should have been more responsible for himself...but, that's what binging on tequila will do.